• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the doosra be taught to young spinners?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
That might be true, but I don't think they didn't know how to? It's all speculation of course.
I'm not sure, their actions aren't really suited to getting drift. You need a slightly rounder arm action and release, IME.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Saqlain got decent drift, but neither Murali nor Ajmal really used drift as a weapon.
You don't need to use drift as a weapon though, just a honing steel for the other weapons, which Murali and Ajmal both did (do) well

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
There is also the ball that 'Drifts' away from the right-hand batsman before spinning back. 'Drift' has been used to good effect by all the great Off Spinners.

So basically the Doosra is used by those Off-Spinners who haven't mastered, or can't be bothered mastering, the usual skills of the Off-Spin bowler.
I'd rather have a doosra like Ajmal's than drift tbh

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh yeah. Well teach the 'arm ball' then.

Much the same effect and much less strain on the elbow joint and Law 24.3 at the same time. Actually there isn't any.
Arm ball is meaningful only if you can spin it. First teach them to spin it hard.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit of a myth, isn't that? Bowlers like Kumble got lots of drift and he was nowhere near round arm
I don't recall Kumble getting much drift. He got some humoungous amounts of dip due to high arm action and overspin. Earely can remember a ball curving in as a indipper and then straightening to hit the off by Kumble.

Ace4

Cricket Spectator
Well all players have to have the interest first. Just feeding them won't take them places. They gotta dive in into new waters.