• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amla named SA Test captain

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Graeme Smith ‏@GraemeSmith49 36m
I do find Ian chappels views on leadership boring,archaic and biased.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Graeme Smith ‏@GraemeSmith49 36m
I do find Ian chappels views on leadership boring,archaic and biased.
God I love Biff.

Anyway, I think Amla is the right call. In saying that, any of the three in contention would be fine.

Marius

International Debutant
Yeah, good pick I think. Will be interesting to see how he goes. I wonder why he changed his mind after saying he was not interesting in skipping.

Decent squads picked too I think:

Test:

Alviro Petersen, Dean Elgar, Hashim Amla (capt), Faf du Plessis, AB de Villiers (wk), JP Duminy, Stiaan van Zyl, Vernon Philander, Morne Morkel, Dale Steyn, Imran Tahir, Kyle Abbott, Quinton de Kock, Dane Piedt

ODI:

Hashim Amla, Quinton de Kock (wk), Jacques Kallis, AB de Villiers (capt), JP Duminy, David Miller, Wayne Parnell, Ryan McLaren, Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel, Imran Tahir, Vernon Philander, Faf du Plessis, Aaron Phangiso, Beuran Hendricks

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Good man, but not captaincy material, IMHO. Chanders a case in point; universally beloved but a natural lieutenant and fell short when he got the captaincy.

Suspect Hamish will be the same.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a good move, considering the options. The two openers do not have their places nailed, nor does Faf (despite appearances) and neither does Duminy. The bowlers are not going to be made captain, quite understandably in SA's case. Morkel and Philander not captaincy types, and Steyn needs all his focus at one place. So, it was between ABdV and Amla. With AB also taking the gloves, and being the best batsman in the side, it would simply be too burdensome to saddle him with captaincy. Thus, Amla is the right choice.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I love the Hash. Hope he goes well. Be interesting to see if it effects his batting. Can understand Brumby's reservations. Will be interesting to see how he goes a it it.