• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The legacy of Chris Cairns

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
When great all-rounders are discussed, Chris Cairns is rarely remembered. I'm not sure why.

Based on raw statistics, he is in the same class as Ian Botham. He was clearly very important to his side, and was the sort of player that provides great balance to a line up, with an ability to bat at 6 or 7, plus being a genuine frontline bowler.

I'll be honest, I only remember watching him on a few occasions, but what I do remember is very similar to Botham. Explosive batsman who could tear an attack apart, and very handy fast/med bowler.

What were/are your thoughts on Cairns? How do you remember him?

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Cairns would have been right up there with the best all rounders of all time had he not been so injury prone. In a career that spanned over 16 years he only managed 62 tests. He should have played double that number and if he had then 7000 runs and 400 wickets would not be a stretch.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm finding it hard to see him as anything else at the moment, as heartbreaking as that is.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
His last 30 tests/6 years (10 Jun 1998-10 Jun 2004)

Average of 41.5 with the bat (4 centuries)
Average of 26.88 with the ball (4 wickets per test - 121 wickets)

filtered 1998-2004 30 1909 158 41.50 4 121 7/27 26.88 9 3 0 14.61

Was better than Kallis and Pollock at the time, and was clearly NZ's best player between the end of Martin Crowe's career and the start of Shane Bond's.

Let's leave the 'other stuff' for the other threads.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
I'm finding it hard to see him as anything else at the moment, as heartbreaking as that is.
It looks that way but I can't help but feel there is more to this story. IMO Cairns may well have spoken to said players about fixing games. However there is a difference between speaking to others and actually fixing games.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Saw someone suggest that if he was fixing, it just makes his stats all the more impressive -- averaging 40+ with the bat and <27 with the ball over a six year period is immense, let alone when you're (allegedly) intentionally underperforming at times.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Saw someone suggest that if he was fixing, it just makes his stats all the more impressive -- averaging 40+ with the bat and <27 with the ball over a six year period is immense, let alone when you're (allegedly) intentionally underperforming at times.
I think most of the fixing allegations would have been when he played in the ICL.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
if that is the case, doesn't tarnish his legacy at all imo
Allegedly taking money from the underworld most certainly does, even if it is in a league you dgaf about.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of my favourite all-rounders. Great record. In fact, I remember being surprised when I first saw his test record last year. Impressive bowler, and a reliable batsman when needed, and a whirlwind force at his best. I would definitely prefer him above Flintoff in my team if given an option. Can't compare with Kallis and Pollock obviously, apples and oranges and peaches. If he had been playing at this point of time in the NZ team, would have been far more appreciated.

watson

Banned
Cairns is putting up a spirited fight against the allegations at the minute, whatever the truth ends up being.

The truth is [Lou Vincent] has been caught cheating and seeks to mitigate his sins by blaming others. The allegations he and his ex-wife make against me are despicable lies.

Chris Cairns insists he has never fixed a match, slams former New Zealand cricket team-mates - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
As for Cairns the cricketer - a highly talented allrounder who is at least a tier below the likes of Botham or Kapil Dev because of injury and lack of opportunity. Could be brilliant on his day though.......

2nd Test: England v New Zealand at Lord's, Jul 22-25, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
2nd Test: New Zealand v South Africa at Auckland, Mar 18-22, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia at Wellington, Mar 24-27, 2000 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
3rd Test: New Zealand v India at Hamilton, Jan 2-6, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

One of my favourite all time players and this dodgy stuff is a terrible way for him to be remembered. Be like Azharuddin if true, you will forget the great cricket and remember the shady side.

Such a shame his body couldn't hold up more when he was in his prime as he would be regarded much higher if he had got to 300 wickets and 4000 runs. Seems unfair but that is how it is.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Cairns is putting up a spirited fight against the allegations at the minute, whatever the truth ends up being.

As for Cairns the cricketer - a highly talented allrounder who is at least a tier below the likes of Botham or Kapil Dev because of injury and lack of opportunity. Could be brilliant on his day though.......

2nd Test: England v New Zealand at Lord's, Jul 22-25, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
2nd Test: New Zealand v South Africa at Auckland, Mar 18-22, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia at Wellington, Mar 24-27, 2000 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
3rd Test: New Zealand v India at Hamilton, Jan 2-6, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Got a 7-fer against the West Indies in 1999 as well

OverratedSanity

My two enduring memories of Cairns are:
The 80 odd he got against England in 1999 in a very low scoring match. Such a great innings, really underrated

That six he hit off Warne. Haven't ever seen a straight drive over square leg before or since.