• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England prospects

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
From what i saw of Mahmood in NZ, he's an average player these days & I'd say barely holding his place in the team now...how's he been playing like at Surrey?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Will Azhar Mahmood be at Surrey next season?
Yep.
And probably being praised by commentators for his substandard performances again.
Mahmood is a far better player than he showed last season (indeed, that could be said for many overseas-players) but the fact that people ignored his paucity really strained belief.

Mingster

State Regular
Tim said:
From what i saw of Mahmood in NZ, he's an average player these days & I'd say barely holding his place in the team now...how's he been playing like at Surrey?
He's lost that extra yard in his bowling as well.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Richard said:

I personally don't rate Sutcliffe - he was good enough for Leics, but not as good as Swann I don't think, though he couldn't get into Northants' first-team (mind, they did have Rollins and Hayden).
I certainly hope they give Swann an extended run as the other opener , just a chance to prove himself , he's one of those very frustrating players who clearly has the potential to go far , yet never seems to deliver on his promise with any sort of consistency.
Habbit of looking completely at home then playing a real stupid shot.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
I think Ravinda Bopara is a real talent, personally.
Well, and you think Pettini and Jefferson are good, too...
I don't rate any. I'll leave it at that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mingster said:
He's lost that extra yard in his bowling as well.
No evidence of that.
Just a misperception due to decreased effectiveness.
He's always been early-80s tops. He's no slower now.
But he's never been international standard, with bat or ball.