• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Prodigal's Return

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First of all bollocks to anyone who thinks this should be confined to the English domestic thread

I think this is a fascinating development and might just give this years T20 Blast the shot in the arm it needs

So why the **** does that miserable old curmudgeon Sir Beefy have to come out with this drivel

England Cricket News: Ian Botham fears for Andrew Flintoff comeback | ESPN Cricinfo

This from a man who cba to look after his fitness for half his career let alone make the effort to become fit enough to box at a decent level after he had retired. Personally I've no doubt that our Fred fancies a crack at the easier money available for playing T20 than presenting those crappy low budget reality TV shows and commercials that he has been doing, but I have no doubt at all but that he wouldn't do this if he thought there was any danger of tarnishing his legacy, and that he really wants to do it

Jealousy doesn't suit you Beefy - just keep your thoughts to yourself

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jealousy doesn't suit you Beefy - just keep your thoughts to yourself
Sir Ian displaying a surprising grasp of the Old Testament and casting himself as the fatted calf, for which, as one understands, things didn't end up so well for upon the prodigal son's return.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently bowled 11 overs today for-3-26. I'm surprised he bowled so much, I would have thought the key if he is to be successful on this comeback is not to overdo it.

fredfertang

Let's face it Freddie has always overdone everything, so it would be a worry if that had changed

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bowling 11 overs in a T20? Fair effort.

Hope he makes a go of it. Great character of the game. A compelling sportsman to watch.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Bowling 11 overs in a T20? Fair effort.

Hope he makes a go of it. Great character of the game. A compelling sportsman to watch.
He was playing league cricket as part of his comeback.

Got out for 2 from 3 balls caught long off in the reply.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Sir Ian displaying a surprising grasp of the Old Testament and casting himself as the fatted calf, for which, as one understands, things didn't end up so well for upon the prodigal son's return.

That's New Testament (parable in Luke & Matthew) but 'Beefy the calf' does have a certain ring to it

Teja.

Global Moderator
The prince of Kolkota and Athers are both top blokes who are in the top five cricketers I'd like to meet. They usually see things right.

Wish the guy luck though.

grecian

Yeah, it's 4 overs every now and again. It's not going to hurt and let's face it he'll be replacing someone like Jordan Clark or a bloke called Andrea which lets face it shouldn't be allowed. Almost as bad as Jade. So it won't hurt Lanky too much.

This looks good btw, GIMP will be going through tissues like a fatman in a heatwave.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
So excited to see Fred back in action. Don't care if he's past his best, or down on pace, it's Freddie Flintoff, can't help but love the bloke. Can't wait to see him play again!

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interested to see how it goes, not expecting much but he will put bums on seats at every ground he plays at so win win as far as Lancashire are concerned.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Doubt it goes well for Flintoff but it his decision to make. Certainly has brought a lot of press to lancashire and the competition so that can only be good. Doubt he lasts more than a game or two before he is injured or not selected.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good old Freddy. The game misses him.

Did Freddy ever sign with an IPL team? Its amazing how if he had debuted 3-4 years later, and therefore lasteed 3-4 years more, he'd have made a ridiculous amount of cash in the IPL. The type of player who would just get cash thrown at him from every team.

Imagine an IPL auction back in 2005 post-Ashes. Jesus Christ he'd have been paid an absolute bucketload.

fredfertang

He must have his eye on a slice of the IPL money, and with school fees what they are he could no doubt use the cash

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I feel like he was picked up in the first auction for big money but can't definitively remember.