Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Gilchrist

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Adam Gilchrist

Having watched the great man hit a career best 172 (although i accept not against the toughest opponents), I feel it neccessary to pay tribute to the legend that is Gilchrist.

In test cricket as a batsman he blows hot and cold, but what can you expect batting at 7 and coming in when the team are 300-odd already. AS a wicketkeeper he's stunning, the one-handed catch he took down the leg side off brett lee to dismiss tendulkar in the one test match was brilliant.

In ODI there is no one better than him. Anwar was good but been quite last couple of years (he did retire at one point not sure if thats still the case?), Sachin is good as is Sehwag but just think Gilly is better.

The guy has a strike rate of 92 for god's sake, the ideal ODI player!
    Adam Gilchrist's Number 1 Fan 8D

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I think you're a little over-excitable.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

I agree with Neil your view is a little over-excitable, Gilchrist is given the licence to 'go out and smash' in both forms of the game, hence his S/R around 90.

No doubt about his talent and destructive ability but other players such as Lara and Sachin may have just as good S/R if they did not carry as much expectation and responsibility on their shoulders.

But credit where credit where is due, he is a major force in both forms of the game when he is in form.

Re: Adam Gilchrist

Originally posted by Thelwell
    In test cricket as a batsman he blows hot and cold, but what can you expect batting at 7 and coming in when the team are 300-odd already.
    I think you are a little confused here - looking at his Test average of 55 and his ODI average of 34, I'd say he's a little more hot and cold in the ODI's!

Gilly's test average of 55 is alittle deceiving, as is Bevan's ODI average, alot of his innings in tests are not outs which are not included when calculating his avaerage.

Not confussed just aware of how averages are calculated.

It's not his fault he doesn't get out.

Even if you ignore all not outs, it's still 45.

6 Not Out's in his ODI career.

13 Not Out's in his Test career.

Most certainly not a big enough amount to make a 20 point differance in averages based soley on not outs.

Having considered your evidence i still feel he can be hot and cold in test, to me he never looks as confortable when batting in tests as he does in ODI.

I apologize if people see this differently, but I see Gilchrist as a sort of Shahid Afridi. A better version. He gets out there, gets the run rate pumping and sooner or later loses his wicket to an unnecessary shot. He has potential, no doubt about it, but he's hardly ideal, if you ask me.

Personally, I think Bevan is a the ideal ODI player...not to forget Tendulkar, Ganguly, and Lara...

It takes more than a strike rate of 92 to be a great ODI batsman. It takes skill, patience, and above all, determination, heart, mental fortitude - call it what you will.

I think I'd need more than 2 hands to count off, finger by finger, the number of times Bevan has made an invaluable contribution to the Aussie batting line-up. Same for the other players I mentioned.

We'll just see if Gilchrist can do it against India on sunday.......

I'm a huge Gilchrist fan, absolutely huge I love the way he plays. But in no way can I accept the fact that you just claimed Gilchrist was a better ODI batsman than Sachin Tendulkar. Ponting and Hayden I could grasp. Even Bevan I could see where you were coming from, but Gilchrist? Come on Gilchrist doesn't even come close in comparison to Sachin, and many other great batsman.

Don't take my comments out of context and make me look like I don't like Gilchrist, he's an awesome player and very exciting, but you definitely exaggerated what you just said.

Ganguly's innings in the 99 World Cup against Sri Lanka was much better than Gilchrist's.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by Thelwell
    Gilly's test average of 55 is alittle deceiving, as is Bevan's ODI average, alot of his innings in tests are not outs which are not included when calculating his avaerage.

Not confussed just aware of how averages are calculated.
    I really am amazed people talk as if not-outs are some slight on the batsman.
    I don't know about Neil's phraseology - it's not his fault he doesn't get out" - personally I'd say "doesn't he deserve some credit for not getting out?"
    But I do think Gilchrist's Test average is a little deceiving, but because he's been very lucky at times, not because he gets a large number of not-outs.
    As for Bevan's ODI average it shows quite clearly that he is the best ODI player ever - not-outs do say something about ability. Jeez.:rolleyes:
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

I'm sure Gilly will do the business against India.

Dont think Gilly gets out playing 'unneccessary' shots, he simply goes after everythin. He knows theres plenty of batting in the Aus line up so goes after everythin. Sometimes he gets out and looks a little silly,thats cricket.

Bevan is ideal when chasing a game but not when setting a target. When you are chasing a game bevan is good as he will simply score a run a ball to keep things ticking over, but gilly can set a huge total for a team by hitting boundaries consistently, somethin bevan is not known for doing but i understand what you mean.

Tendulkar, quality at both forms of the game and his average proves it. Does he contribute in any other way apart from the bat? Gilly is the worlds best wicket keeper so in a sense he is two players in one; great batsman and wicketkeeper. Sachin's bowling aint nothin special.

Said Gilly is ideal as he performs to vital roles in the field and with the bat. Sachin only with the bat, agree comparing them as batsman sachin is better ODI player. But an ideal player contributes in more than one form, which is why i think Gilly's the best.

Originally posted by Richard
    I don't know about Neil's phraseology - it's not his fault he doesn't get out" - personally I'd say "doesn't he deserve some credit for not getting out?"
    OK..."It's not his fault that he doesn't get out much!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    OK..."It's not his fault that he doesn't get out much!
    Not having any qualms about the grammer, just the phrasing.
    "Not fault" is used too much. "Is\isn't to credit" isn't used nearly often enough.
    Study of cricket is IMO concerned with who deserves credit and not whose fault was what.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information