• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is there a more in-form young opener in first class cricket right now?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
This is Kraigg Brathwaite's record in first class cricket over the last two years...

2013 FIRST CLASS SEASON

Vs Jam= 0 & 17

Vs Guyana= 1 & 27

Vs CCC= 90 & Did not bat again

Vs Winwards= 8 & 91 not out

Vs Leewards= 165 & did not bat again

Vs trinidad= 15 & 26 not out

Vs winwards (semi-final)= 15 & did not bat again

Vs Trinidad (final)= 122 & did not bat again

SERIES VS SRI-LANKA-A

1st test= 36 & did not bat again

2nd test= 77 & did not bat again

SERIES VS INDIA-A

1st test= 92 & 34

2nd test= 82 & 104 not out

3rd test= 1 & 21

NEW ZEALAND SERIES FOR WI

3rd test= 45 & 7

2014 FIRST CLASS SEASON

vs Winwards= 82 & 15

vs Guyana= 19 & 5

vs CCC= 91 & did not bat again

vs Trinidad= 0 & did not bat again

vs Jamaica= 29 & 91

vs Leewards= 92 & did not bat again

vs Jamaica (Final)= 15 & 32

SERIES VS BANGLEDASH-A

1st test= 0 & 164
So that's domestic, A-team and even one test thrown in...i'd love to know if there is another young opener anywhere in the world with a better record than that in first class cricket over the last few years?!..perhaps the Indian lad Chand? or what about that Babar lad from Pakistan a lot of people were big on? Also to my cricket stat experts how much has Kraigg averaged with this record? it would be great to know....there's not a lot of young openers coming through at international level these days so i was just wondering how other young prospects compare to Kraigg at the moment.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
There'll be heaps of Indian batsmen with better records than that. Joe Root also pretty handy.

Tom Latham, who'll be making his debut against WI in a wee bit:

The left-hander took a fortnight off after a marathon season where he topped the Plunket Shield charts with 948 runs at an average of 79 for champions Canterbury - including two double-centuries.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
There'll be heaps of Indian batsmen with better records than that. Joe Root also pretty handy.

Tom Latham, who'll be making his debut against WI in a wee bit:
What's his record over two years Hendrix? and did he replicate those stats at A-team level?

stumpski

International Captain
Sam Robson? Though it depends what you mean by 'young' of course - I think he's about 25.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Sam Robson? Though it depends what you mean by 'young' of course - I think he's about 25.
Yeah 25 is a little old isn't it? with Kraigg being 21 i was thinking in the 22/23 range to be honest...at 25 you should have decent experience...i mean our own Darren Bravo is 25 and so is Virat Kohli :D .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I don't think he was so impressive last season but he was playing as a wicketkeeper.
Didn't he also play in the ODI's when NZ last toured our patch? iirc Narine may have given him a lot of issues but i stand corrected because i'm not 100% sure it was him.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With this opener, Bravo and the greatest spinner since sliced bread West Indies will be dominating the world again soon.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't he also play in the ODI's when NZ last toured our patch? iirc Narine may have given him a lot of issues but i stand corrected because i'm not 100% sure it was him.
Yeah, he struggled a bit, but so did the whole team IIRC. Narine's probably the best limited overs spinner in the world so there's no shame in struggling against him as a 19 year old.

By NZ standards he's a pretty competent player of spin.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Given the kind of pitches you'd find in WI domestic cricket his record of late has indeed been extremely good, selectors pls take note

Howsie

International Captain
As harsh as you can be on a 21 year old but I honestly don't really see anything that 'great' about him. Good concentration obvs but the guy struggles to hit the ball off the square.

I'd pin my hopes on Kieran Powell tbh.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
By my quick calculations he's scored 1711 runs @ a tick over 53. Pretty good, I guess.
Thank you Backfoot...and if that prejection is indeed correct then that's really encouraging from our point of view. It's one thing to do it over one year but to be averaging over 50 over two years shows consistency. One would be inclined to think that he can only get better from here too.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
As harsh as you can be on a 21 year old but I honestly don't really see anything that 'great' about him. Good concentration obvs but the guy struggles to hit the ball off the square.

I'd pin my hopes on Kieran Powell tbh.
As an 18 year old when he first debuted for WI i'd agree he had struggles...but over this past year he's really come on leaps and bounds and is finding the gaps with much more regularity now and is also showing the ability to increase the run rate much quicker. Is he the finished product? of course not but imo he has the opportunity to be another Shiv if he continues to work hard and keeps focused.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Thank you Backfoot...and if that prejection is indeed correct then that's really encouraging from our point of view. It's one thing to do it over one year but to be averaging over 50 over two years shows consistency. One would be inclined to think that he can only get better from here too.
And if you can do it for 3 years or more you're an ATG