• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Jordan Fan Club/Apprection Thread

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yeah he was spotted aged 16 and came over to England on a scholarship having been part of the Barbados youth system up until then. Despite what the ECB PR team says, those in Barbados cricket know he hadn't really made up his mind about who he wanted to play for until a couple of years ago. He kept coming back to play Brabados cricket and trials and wanted to play in our FC season to see if he could grab the selectors attention. For a number of years he struggled to get in ahead of Edwards, Best, Cummins, Braithwaite, Holder etc. But when he dide he did well. But then he got a place in the England Lions/Academy team and never looked back.

I'm not angry with him, I have no problem with his choice to play for England and Surrey obviously put a lot of work into his development. Our selectors were never going to give him a game anyway (he wasn't playing enough for Barbados and they are terrible talent spotters). I hope he performs really well. The only caveat I put on it is that he must never play for Barbados again and take the place of a potential young West Indies pacer now that he has made his choice.
He ain't never gonna be playing for Bim again Beamer...that book was closed as soon as he chose England. And yes he did struggle to play for Bim at first but in all honesty he had Holder, Roach, Carlos Brathwaite, Fidel, Best and Cummins ahead of him...and having seen his run-up i don't blame the Barbados or WI selectors for being cautious tbh...especially after Clydd Butts and co picked Andre Russell and didn't realise he had a problem with his delivery.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Anyone else see the irony in WW making a flavour of the month comment disparagingly on a thread?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
He ain't never gonna be playing for Bim again Beamer...that book was closed as soon as he chose England. And yes he did struggle to play for Bim at first but in all honesty he had Holder, Roach, Carlos Brathwaite, Fidel, Best and Cummins ahead of him...and having seen his run-up i don't blame the Barbados or WI selectors for being cautious tbh...especially after Clydd Butts and co picked Andre Russell and didn't realise he had a problem with his delivery.
Then you also can't blame Jordan for the choice that he made.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Interestingly from watching Channel 5's highlights, Simon Hughes did a peice on his run up today and how he'd sorted it out as he used to have no ball problems. Guess that'll be good coaching to fix a problem that was initially an issue and other coaches weren't able to fix...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Holding said after the OT ODI that he needs to generate more pace from his run up. At the moment it comes pretty much exclusively from his arm action and, as a player with back problems in the past, one doesn't need to be a physio to join the dots up.

Mikey also suggested his half-arsed run up (my paraphrase) might well be the result of him not trusting his body to not break down again. Although he's 100% now, he's unwilling to do what caused him pain and cost him time out injured before.

Interesting conundrum for Sakes actually; our bowling coaches have a chequered history in tinkering with what comes naturally to our seamers. Cooley set Jimmeh back years and the well-intentioned changes to Finn's approach may well have cured his unfortunate habit of clipping the stumps in his delivery stride but also, by all accounts, effectively rendered him null as a bowler on the Australian tour debacle.

Love Jorders tho; kid plays without fear and has entered the international game to the manor born. Hope careful coaching can add to what he has (a word or too from Holding might be a good place to start) rather than diluting his undoubted natural abilities.

Foreign-born seam-up all-rounders seem quite the thing just now with Stokes and now Jordan thrusting forwards; get Maschede in the squad ASAP. :ph34r:

slowfinger

International Debutant
Jordan got some natural nip about him, he needs to add a few kph's and make it swing and he can be a very productive bowler

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
He forms a great new ball partnership for Sussex with a young nightprowler10 in DBC '14. Always trying to take people's heads off as I pick up easy wickets of batsmen under pressure.

Except Kane Williamson. **** Kane Williamson.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Jordan 'should be with West Indies'

Interesting perspective from his mentor and Under 15 coach. Must be a bit upsetting for him to have put so much work in and see him turn out for England, but thats the way it goes, at least he's fulfilling his potential.. Also I've never heard of Jofra Archer but if he's any good the WICB better get on it pronto!