Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Chris Jordan Fan Club/Apprection Thread

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    You are probably right zaremba but we would all rather see Jordan in the side than Bresnan come the 12th of June.
    hendrix and Beamer like this.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Tom Smith would be a better selection

International Debutant
    Hasn't Chris Jordan been in England since he was 16? Did he go back to the West Indies to play cricket as well then.

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Hasn't Chris Jordan been in England since he was 16? Did he go back to the West Indies to play cricket as well then.
    Yeah he was spotted aged 16 and came over to England on a scholarship having been part of the Barbados youth system up until then. Despite what the ECB PR team says, those in Barbados cricket know he hadn't really made up his mind about who he wanted to play for until a couple of years ago. He kept coming back to play Brabados cricket and trials and wanted to play in our FC season to see if he could grab the selectors attention. For a number of years he struggled to get in ahead of Edwards, Best, Cummins, Braithwaite, Holder etc. But when he dide he did well. But then he got a place in the England Lions/Academy team and never looked back.

I'm not angry with him, I have no problem with his choice to play for England and Surrey obviously put a lot of work into his development. Our selectors were never going to give him a game anyway (he wasn't playing enough for Barbados and they are terrible talent spotters). I hope he performs really well. The only caveat I put on it is that he must never play for Barbados again and take the place of a potential young West Indies pacer now that he has made his choice.
    Last edited by Beamer; 28-05-2014 at 05:20 PM.
    _Ed_ and hendrix like this.

International Debutant
    Yeah that seems fair, I didn't realise he had been going back. I know he went to Dulwich College on a scholarship.

He looks a good prospect to me, although his age means he has to kick on right now really. He should be an asset in the world cup in Australia/NZ.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    He looks a goer. Hope he kicks on.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    England already have Stuart Broad. They don't need Stuart Broad lite as well.

International Debutant WindieWeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    Yeah he was spotted aged 16 and came over to England on a scholarship having been part of the Barbados youth system up until then. Despite what the ECB PR team says, those in Barbados cricket know he hadn't really made up his mind about who he wanted to play for until a couple of years ago. He kept coming back to play Brabados cricket and trials and wanted to play in our FC season to see if he could grab the selectors attention. For a number of years he struggled to get in ahead of Edwards, Best, Cummins, Braithwaite, Holder etc. But when he dide he did well. But then he got a place in the England Lions/Academy team and never looked back.

I'm not angry with him, I have no problem with his choice to play for England and Surrey obviously put a lot of work into his development. Our selectors were never going to give him a game anyway (he wasn't playing enough for Barbados and they are terrible talent spotters). I hope he performs really well. The only caveat I put on it is that he must never play for Barbados again and take the place of a potential young West Indies pacer now that he has made his choice.
    He ain't never gonna be playing for Bim again Beamer...that book was closed as soon as he chose England. And yes he did struggle to play for Bim at first but in all honesty he had Holder, Roach, Carlos Brathwaite, Fidel, Best and Cummins ahead of him...and having seen his run-up i don't blame the Barbados or WI selectors for being cautious tbh...especially after Clydd Butts and co picked Andre Russell and didn't realise he had a problem with his delivery.
    One Day cups- Champions trophy winners-T20 cup-29 test series without defeat record- and some think we're a "minnow".

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Anyone else see the irony in WW making a flavour of the month comment disparagingly on a thread?
    sledger and Smudge like this.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by WindieWeathers View Post
    He ain't never gonna be playing for Bim again Beamer...that book was closed as soon as he chose England. And yes he did struggle to play for Bim at first but in all honesty he had Holder, Roach, Carlos Brathwaite, Fidel, Best and Cummins ahead of him...and having seen his run-up i don't blame the Barbados or WI selectors for being cautious tbh...especially after Clydd Butts and co picked Andre Russell and didn't realise he had a problem with his delivery.
    Then you also can't blame Jordan for the choice that he made.

Next time make a thread before a bloke take his first international 5 for in his 18th match. You hack.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Next time make a thread before a bloke take his first international 5 for in his 18th match. You hack.
    As alluded to above, I've been saying how great I think he is for months now. GAGF.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Interestingly from watching Channel 5's highlights, Simon Hughes did a peice on his run up today and how he'd sorted it out as he used to have no ball problems. Guess that'll be good coaching to fix a problem that was initially an issue and other coaches weren't able to fix...

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Holding said after the OT ODI that he needs to generate more pace from his run up. At the moment it comes pretty much exclusively from his arm action and, as a player with back problems in the past, one doesn't need to be a physio to join the dots up.

Mikey also suggested his half-arsed run up (my paraphrase) might well be the result of him not trusting his body to not break down again. Although he's 100% now, he's unwilling to do what caused him pain and cost him time out injured before.

Interesting conundrum for Sakes actually; our bowling coaches have a chequered history in tinkering with what comes naturally to our seamers. Cooley set Jimmeh back years and the well-intentioned changes to Finn's approach may well have cured his unfortunate habit of clipping the stumps in his delivery stride but also, by all accounts, effectively rendered him null as a bowler on the Australian tour debacle.

Love Jorders tho; kid plays without fear and has entered the international game to the manor born. Hope careful coaching can add to what he has (a word or too from Holding might be a good place to start) rather than diluting his undoubted natural abilities.

Foreign-born seam-up all-rounders seem quite the thing just now with Stokes and now Jordan thrusting forwards; get Maschede in the squad ASAP.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Jordan got some natural nip about him, he needs to add a few kph's and make it swing and he can be a very productive bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 5 years and counting!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information