Page 3 of 574 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast
Like Tree1659Likes

Thread: ***Official*** India in England 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    But you run the risk of having a rather large tail, Jadeja is there for the balance and variety more than anything, and let us not forget his fielding, make no mistake, his fielding along with Rahane was one of the reasons why our bowlers looked so good in parts, some of the catches taken in recent test matches would not have been if the team still had Tendulkar/Laxman/Dravid and co still playing. Ideally India would want a seam bowling all rounder for overseas tours but we don't have that, so our only two all rounders happen to be spinners.
    True

International Vice-Captain Contra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    It's a resignation bro. There's simply no way he won't be picked after the NZ series.
    Yeah this pretty much lol. I'm not a fan of Ishant at all, I thought maybe he had turned a corner after the first innings of the second test at NZ but his performance in the second innings just confirmed that it wasn't going to last. India won't drop him so there really isn't a point in trying to prove why he shouldn't be in the team I guess. Having said that Pankaj singh is a like for like replacement for Ishant, maybe that could work in his favour.

International Regular
    Is Ashwin really a good enough number 6? Or are we just assuming that the top 5 + batting till 8 with Jadeja is good enough.

U19 Cricketer
    Should be:

1)Dhawan
    2)Vijay
    3)Pujara
    4)Kohli
    5)Rahane
    6)Dhoni
    7)Ashwin
    8)Jadeja
    9)Bhuvi
    10)Pandey/Pankaj
    11)Shami

Will be:

1)Dhawan
    2)Vijay
    3)Pujara
    4)Kohli
    5)Rohit
    6)Rahane
    7)Dhoni
    8)Jadeja
    9)Bhuvi
    10)Shami
    11)Ishant

Ishant was always going to make the squad. His 6 for 2000 or whatever it was in NZ obviously sealed his spot. India are doomed with the second(likely) line-up. Bhuvi will be ineffective other than with the new ball, Ishant is Ishant, Jadeja is not going to bowl you to test wins in England...so India basically have a one man attack. And despite India doing reasonably well on the batting front in recent overseas tours, I am not too convinced. Pujara and Kohli aside, I am not sure that line-up will do great in England. Rohit Sharma in test cricket is a liability. I know he scored 2 tons vs WI in India and one of them was crucial IIRC, but in England (or similar conditions) he'll play a couple of pleasing drives and get out. I wasn't too sure about Rahane initially but he did very well in SA and NZ so he should be fine here.

Basically Ashwin instead of Rohit will not make a difference at all to the strength of the batting(as ludicrous as it may sound it may even make it stronger in English conditions....it won't weaken it anyway...Ashwin will scored the 20-30 that Rohit will) and while Ashwin may not have set the world on fire outside India, we must remember that he has only played in a handful of tests....(4 is it?)...3 in a place that is a graveyard for spinners and has been over the years...and a solitary test in SA. Surely it won't hurt to give him another 2 tests? India will need all the bowling they can get...they were on the cusp of 2 great overseas test wins (and possibly series too) only to be denied by some very great batting+poor bowling+poor captaincy. India will have to go with 5 bowlers. I suppose that was the rationale behind picking Binny. They probably want him as a third seamer and a number 7. Poor decision really, picking club level IPL trash for tests in England pfft. If his dad who is part of the selection panel had anything to do with it he should be sacked immediately. On the plus side, Mayanti Langer(Mrs.Stu Binny) will probably be going to England as well which can only be a good thing!

Prediction - India will push England in patches and something tells me they'll nick a win somewhere. Probably 3-1 England. Might see Gambhir in for Vijay/Dhawan after the 2nd or 3rd test too.
    Rangana Herath : World's best spinner.
    Pakistan last series win : January 2012
    Pakistan last overseas series win : January 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
    Mayanti Langer.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Stuart must have an excellent personality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Singh Is King View Post
    India Test squad announced. Gutted Zaheer Khan has not been picked. I know he hasn't done as well last couple of tours, BUT he almost single handedly won India the test series when India won 1-0 here 4 years ago.
    Last time India were here they got drubbed increase.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Very disappointed Nostrils Yadav wasn't included in that squad.

Batting looks good though, especially from 3-6. Be a decent test for the openers if there's some swing and seam movement.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

To all Indian fans, I will miss the Lord's test by a few days when I am in London (gutted) so there is at least a chance India can win. Because they don't win test matches when I attend.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Cannot help but remember the optimism with which I looked forward to the last England tour! Could be a good series if we manage to win one of the first two tests, if we don't I foresee a summer of pain.

Also, have no clue how Aaron is preferred to Umesh. Umesh, Bhuvi and Shami would have been the perfect pace attack. Also would be interesting to see if Vijay can last the series out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruxdude View Post

Also, have no clue how Aaron is preferred to Umesh. Umesh, Bhuvi and Shami would have been the perfect pace attack.
    yeah. This one is particularly galling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
    Should be:

1)Dhawan
    2)Vijay
    3)Pujara
    4)Kohli
    5)Rahane
    6)Dhoni
    7)Ashwin
    8)Jadeja
    9)Bhuvi
    10)Pandey/Pankaj
    11)Shami

Will be:

1)Dhawan
    2)Vijay
    3)Pujara
    4)Kohli
    5)Rohit
    6)Rahane
    7)Dhoni
    8)Jadeja
    9)Bhuvi
    10)Shami
    11)Ishant

Ishant was always going to make the squad. His 6 for 2000 or whatever it was in NZ obviously sealed his spot. India are doomed with the second(likely) line-up. Bhuvi will be ineffective other than with the new ball, Ishant is Ishant, Jadeja is not going to bowl you to test wins in England...so India basically have a one man attack. And despite India doing reasonably well on the batting front in recent overseas tours, I am not too convinced. Pujara and Kohli aside, I am not sure that line-up will do great in England. Rohit Sharma in test cricket is a liability. I know he scored 2 tons vs WI in India and one of them was crucial IIRC, but in England (or similar conditions) he'll play a couple of pleasing drives and get out. I wasn't too sure about Rahane initially but he did very well in SA and NZ so he should be fine here.

Basically Ashwin instead of Rohit will not make a difference at all to the strength of the batting(as ludicrous as it may sound it may even make it stronger in English conditions....it won't weaken it anyway...Ashwin will scored the 20-30 that Rohit will) and while Ashwin may not have set the world on fire outside India, we must remember that he has only played in a handful of tests....(4 is it?)...3 in a place that is a graveyard for spinners and has been over the years...and a solitary test in SA. Surely it won't hurt to give him another 2 tests? India will need all the bowling they can get...they were on the cusp of 2 great overseas test wins (and possibly series too) only to be denied by some very great batting+poor bowling+poor captaincy. India will have to go with 5 bowlers. I suppose that was the rationale behind picking Binny. They probably want him as a third seamer and a number 7. Poor decision really, picking club level IPL trash for tests in England pfft. If his dad who is part of the selection panel had anything to do with it he should be sacked immediately. On the plus side, Mayanti Langer(Mrs.Stu Binny) will probably be going to England as well which can only be a good thing!

Prediction - India will push England in patches and something tells me they'll nick a win somewhere. Probably 3-1 England. Might see Gambhir in for Vijay/Dhawan after the 2nd or 3rd test too.
    Dhoni at 6 in swinging conditions is suicide, surely?
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Well.. it is less of a suicide than going in with Ishant/Bhuvi/Shami/Jadeja as our bowling "attack"...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

School Boy/Girl Captain Watson33's Avatar
    As an englishman, I was delighted to hear that Ishant is in the squad.
    smalishah84 and Shri like this.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Watson33 View Post
    As an englishman, I was delighted to hear that Ishant is in the squad.
    Quite - I'd also advocate a pardon and call up for Sreesanth

Thread Information