• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England 2014

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England name their squad today.

Reckon Stokes comes in for Woakes. And possibly they add a spinner to the squad. Possibly Gareth Batty. With the weather the way it is (dry and warm) they will probably feel the need to at least add the option of having another spinner.

I reckon they'd like to select Monty but at this point he's virtually unselectable. With the disciplinary problems and not bowling particularly well it's gonna be tough to select him. He also still averages 41 with the ball against India even taking into account his heroics on the last tour.

Kerrigan in all likelihood would be slaughtered by the indian batting. He's had an ok season but there isn't going to be a huge amount of faith in him stemming from his debut.

Riley is too young and untested

Batty is bowling really well according to reports. Getting good drift and turn. Bowls long spells accurately. Quite importantly he is an aggresive, combative figure. With Cook as captain someone like Kerrigan who probably lacks a bit of self confidence could struggle and not be used but Batty is a strong character and Cook would be able to rely on Batty and Batty have the confidence to come through what could be a tough series. At 36 it's not a long term option and sooner or later England will have to go back to Panesar (if he gets it together) or go with a Kerrigan or Riley - but at present none of these are good options. It'd be better if they could select kerrigan or Panesar instead of Batty because they spin it in the opposite direction to Ali.

Ali's ton in the last game causes some issues obviously. Before that they could drop him fairly easily and bring in Panesar or Batty and bring in Stokes for Jordan/Plunkett but now the top 6 all have reasons to be selected so someone is going to be unfortunate if they have to play Panesar/Batty/kerrigan/whoeverspinner.

1st test is at Trent Bridge so they'll probably play Cook, Robson, Ballance, Bell, Root, Ali, Stokes, Prior, Plunkett, Broad, Anderson anyway as seam and swing are generally more useful at TB than spin but with the prolonged dry spell we're having the later tests at Lords, Ageas Bowl, Old Trafford and the Oval will likely be flatter with possibly more in them for the spinners.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah he won't.

My guess is

Usual top 7
Jadeja
Bhuvi
Ishant/Shami/Pankaj
Ishant/Shami/Pankaj

91Jmay

International Coach
Awkward part of these warm up games is going to be Derby and Leicester's 2nd teams batting better than England's 1st team.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
i think that if the Indian bowlers carry on like this, cook is going to be filling his boots in the series and all will be forgiven..

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
Eng will win this series comfortably. For 1-2 tests, Indian may have shown some fight but with 5 tests, it's not a contest.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Seeing as how Sri Lanka managed to beat England with one of the worlds most pedestrian pace attacks (and Herath not making a big impact) India is definitely a big chance. The key is not to get bowled out cheaply at all, because India probably don't have the bowling to cover poor batting performances in these conditions, but the sky is the limit for this batting line-up that has already had some success against good bowling in alien conditions, scoreboard pressure is the key for India IMO

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
India will simply have to play 5 bowlers somehow to win test matches, honestly I can't see us taking 20 wickets in a test match unless the conditions are completely in favour of the bowlers. And England's tail is generally pretty long.

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
Seeing as how Sri Lanka managed to beat England with one of the worlds most pedestrian pace attacks (and Herath not making a big impact) India is definitely a big chance. The key is not to get bowled out cheaply at all, because India probably don't have the bowling to cover poor batting performances in these conditions, but the sky is the limit for this batting line-up that has already had some success against good bowling in alien conditions, scoreboard pressure is the key for India IMO
I think, Vaas is not given enough credit for making the bowling unit tick for SL. I think they bowled well even in UAE. Had it not been for an extreme negative leadership in the last test, SL would have won that series comfortably. Indians have inexperienced team to really close out games. Then they play with 3-4 test bowlers. I feel that did cost them a test in SA and NZ. SL did well to win a test and not lose another but I don't see this Indian team fighting for 5 tests one after another and closing out few games.

Anyway, I hope that Eng keep Cook till the next Ashes as captain. Indians will most likely give enough reasons management to make it happen.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think, Vaas is not given enough credit for making the bowling unit tick for SL. I think they bowled well even in UAE. Had it not been for an extreme negative leadership in the last test, SL would have won that series comfortably. Indians have inexperienced team to really close out games. Then they play with 3-4 test bowlers. I feel that did cost them a test in SA and NZ. SL did well to win a test and not lose another but I don't see this Indian team fighting for 5 tests one after another and closing out few games.

Anyway, I hope that Eng keep Cook till the next Ashes as captain. Indians will most likely give enough reasons management to make it happen.
Well, I agree that Vaas is probably the major reason for SL doing well recently, but India do have better pace bowlers than SL. It's about getting the right ones on the park.

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, I agree that Vaas is probably the major reason for SL doing well recently, but India do have better pace bowlers than SL. It's about getting the right ones on the park.
Well, to start with, Indians need to play with 5 bowlers. I also think that Jadeja and Ashwin are not their best spin bowlers. I don't know where Yadav disappeared. Genuine pace is always good and he looked a good prospect to me when I saw him last in Aus.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year

Yeah Vaas deserves a huge amount of credit and overseas boards in India, Bangladesh and even elsewhere should be promising him ****loads of money for a year or two of coaching after seeing the results he's managed to get out of pace bowlers who really didn't have all that much promise about 18 months ago. But we had guys like Nuwan Pradeep in our attack, as Hendrix said, the talent is certainly superior in the Indian ranks, it's just a matter of them bowling to something close to their potential and the right guys getting picked.