• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies cricket discussion

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
So I've created this thread so that WW and myself can talk about young and current cricketers in the West Indies without a) disrupting other threads b) being targeted by trolls seeking to wind WW up (you know who you are!).

There's quite a lot happening in our cricket at the moment and this year has been a particularly good one for young batsmen hence the need to start this thread.

Beamer

Firstly, I'm particularly excited by the form of Jermaine Blackwood, a 22 year old middle order batsman from Jamaica. He is the best right handed batsman I have seen in the West Indies since a young Ronnie Sarwan came onto the scene with his elegant strokeplay.

He is a true West Indian batsman who has a presence at the crease and is extremely severe on loose bowling (as I type he has just scored a run a ball century for the A team against what is effectively the Bangladesh senior bowling attack minus Shakib). He has lightening fast hands, resulting in some beautiful punch shots through the off side. He's a wiry/athletic looking guy but he is not big and yet he absolutely pulverises the ball.

He has been much talked about since Under 19 days but kept finding ways to get out after pretty 20s and 30s. But towards the end of this domestic season he has really started constructing innings and his last few scores have been 48, 37, 68, 94, 118 and 100* still batting. I don't think it will be long at all before we see him in the test side, he just looks special.

He's also an absolutely ludicrously fast fielder, he really can field on the boundary.

Slifer

International Captain
Haven't heard about this young man b4 but sounds promising. My only hope is that the WICB can put inter-island politics aside and do pick players for the future of WI cricket. Also, I understand that there's tons of money to be made in 20-20 cricket but I hope young Blackwood and others like him realize that the true measure of an Intl. cricketer is Test cricket; nothing more nothing less

Beamer

He ended up making 140 (160 balls) out of a score of 288 all out. What I like about him is that he looks equally at home against pace or spin. If he receives a loose delivery, he will put it away.

He hasn't played much T20 so far, even though he would be superb at it, which I think is a good sign. He needs to be fast tracked into the set up, there is only so much he will learn playing our wretched FC stuff. He is an absolute diamond.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Big up yourself Beamer :D ...yes man Blackwood looked incredible today. I mean i remember saying on a WI forum two years ago that "this kid is the best batting prospect in the Caribbean" and people were laughing...but when you watch him play it's hard not to feel excitement. Today he was just dominant and was hitting the ball all over the ground...his problem in the past was he didn't know how to change gears and calm down when he was on the go...now he's learned how to pace himself better and it's bearing fruit in a major way. Would love to see him play vs NZ....if he gets another ton in the second game i think he might force the issue.

As for the game..was disappointed with the bottom order collapse but when you only play five real batsmen that can happen...hoping Cotts and Cummings can make hey with the new ball and then Bishy and "Night Nurse" can take over with the spin.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Great idea Beamer. I am much more familiar with the young bowlers than the batsmen, so I look forward to seeing this young man in action soon.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Tage going well for his club side in Guyana

GCA’s Hadi’s World Inc first division two-day cricket…Chanderpaul hits patient 179, Nandan scores 100 & Ross grabs 9-Wkt match haul

May 26, 2014

By Sean Devers

Everest, Transport Sports Club (TSC) and DCC all had to settle for first innings at the end of a rain hit final day of their Georgetown Cricket Association (GCA) Hadi’s World Inc first division two-day cricket competition yesterday.

Heavy overnight and intermittent rain throughout the afternoon condemned all three matches to draws with not a ball being bowled on the second day at DCC in their contest against GNIC.

At Camp Road, Chanderpaul resumed on 131 and added 124 for the fourth wicket with Joseph (59) before Everest eventually fell for 365 an hour after tea, at which time the Umpires put a premature end to the fixture with just under an hour and a half left in the match.
Scores: GCC (172), Everest (365)
Everest resumed on 216-3 and continued the grid GCC into the ground as the Bourda Boy produced a sloppy fielding display despite a five-wicket haul from off-spinner Tariq Dharmlall on the large ground.

Wicketkeeper Perry once again contributed with the bat before he was removed by Dharmlall at 244-4 to break the century stand. The resolute 17-year-old Chanderpaul, with nine First-Class matches to his name, was in ultra defensive mode in his painstaking innings which last 324 balls.

The left-hander, who posted his maiden division one century on Saturday, before falling 21 short of what would have been his second career double century following his ‘double’ at the under-15 level against Transport.

After hitting 24 fours and two sixes in his responsible but subdued knock, the son of prolific Test Shiv Chanderpaul, played a rare impetuous shot when he tried to clear the in-field off the delivery which ‘stopped’ on him and skied a catch to mid-on off Dharmlall who toiled for 34.4 overs for his 5-113.
After Chanderpaul’s demise at 346-6, Troy Gonsalves (37) and Adrian Singh (22) contributed with the bat towards the end. Singh supported Dharmlall with three wickets.

At Eve Leary, the 29-year-old Devon Nandan notched up an even ton decorated with 11 fours and four sixes and off-spinner Kevin Ross had a match haul of 9-98 for TSC against the Lawmen who ended the match on 114-6 in their second innings.
Scores: Police (187 & 114-6), TSC (254).

Played in mostly overcast conditions, TSC began the day on 189-6 enjoying a slim two-run first innings lead and extended it to 67 by the time they were bowled out.

Nandan played an array of audacious shots during his ton as pacer Seon Daniels took 3-27 while left-arm pacer Randy Knights (2-21) and Kelvin Letch (2-57) bowled well on a slow track for the Cops.

Knights hit three fours and a six in an undefeated 28 before bad light stopped play five minutes before the scheduled 17:30 hrs close as the 39-year-old Ross followed up his 6-68 in the first innings with 3-36 in the second with tempting flight to the indecisive Police batsmen, operating into the wind with the small straight boundary behind him.

At DCC, a wet ground denied the home team a possible win, after GNIC were set to follow-on today. DCC made 352-7 declared on the back of a typically pugnacious 165 from Christopher Barnwell and dismissed GNIC on the stroke of close of play on the opening day for 167.
Link

Good to see the kid tonning up..but honestly i think he should consider moving to the middle order. I know he likes opening but for me with his style he'd benefit from staying away from the new ball and wearing down bowlers with his patient style at number four perhaps...long term i think it would help his international chances because in the future he could have Kraigg, Powell and Elvin Lewis infront of him....not to mention Shacaya Thomas.

Beamer

Good stuff, happy to see Tage piling up the runs. I do think he needs to play a few more shots. I'm all for occupation of the crease and wish more of our batsman had the patience of a Tage or a Kraigg, but those two don't put away loose bowling and that will make it hard for them to adjust to the highest level. I think they both have the talent and dedication to improve this though so I expect them both to make it at Test level eventually.

This is why I think Blackwood is ready for tests NOW, because he has a presence at the crease and will put away even slightly loose deliveries. The guy is a born batsman IMHO.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Good stuff, happy to see Tage piling up the runs. I do think he needs to play a few more shots. I'm all for occupation of the crease and wish more of our batsman had the patience of a Tage or a Kraigg, but those two don't put away loose bowling and that will make it hard for them to adjust to the highest level. I think they both have the talent and dedication to improve this though so I expect them both to make it at Test level eventually.

This is why I think Blackwood is ready for tests NOW, because he has a presence at the crease and will put away even slightly loose deliveries. The guy is a born batsman IMHO.
I'm telling you Beamer if Samuels doesn't get his act together in these two warm up games against Bim then Blackwood may have a chance..Marlon needs a good score just to remind people of what he's all about and take the pressure off himself.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just bookmarking this thread. Doubt I'll have much to contribute, but I'm always interested in hearing what's going on in the Windies.

Beamer

Tune in if you want to see Miguel Cummins and Sheldon Cotterell bowl with the new ball. Carlos Braithwaite, Devendra Bishoo and Ashley Nurse will also be bowling later.

Beamer

Why do people keep saying cricket needs a strong West Indies?
Because of our unique brand of cricket I guess. It's not something that bothers me too much tbh, I just want to see us competing again and playing in a style all of our won.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Why do people keep saying cricket needs a strong West Indies?
It's about having a sport that's competitive... and seeing as WI is amoungst the most historically successful institutions in the game of course it would be good to see us rise again and compete with the top sides of today :D .

Beamer

Cricket is a great leveller! I just watched Blackwood get sawn off by the umpire for a 2nd ball duck (pretty standard piece of West Indian umpiring, if the spinner hits the pads it's out).

Shame as I quite fancied another evening watching him smack the ball about, but I guess the moral of the story is don't let the spinner hit your pads if you're playing a domestic game in the Caribbean :laugh:

Great performances from Braithwaite, Cummins and Cotterrell earlier to bowl down most of the Bangladesh test team for 140.

Slifer

International Captain
Why do people keep asking "Why does cricket need a strong WI" ? If u don't like WI cricket or know nothing of our cricketing history then keep it rolling. If u like WI and have a minuscule knowledge of our history then u already know the answer to that question.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Why do people keep asking "Why does cricket need a strong WI" ? If u don't like WI cricket or know nothing of our cricketing history then keep it rolling. If u like WI and have a minuscule knowledge of our history then u already know the answer to that question.
he was trolling you all, it was a reference to a poster whose posts have all been asking that question.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Cricket is a great leveller! I just watched Blackwood get sawn off by the umpire for a 2nd ball duck (pretty standard piece of West Indian umpiring, if the spinner hits the pads it's out).

Shame as I quite fancied another evening watching him smack the ball about, but I guess the moral of the story is don't let the spinner hit your pads if you're playing a domestic game in the Caribbean :laugh:

Great performances from Braithwaite, Cummins and Cotterrell earlier to bowl down most of the Bangladesh test team for 140.
Yeah was disappointed with that..but hey every cloud has a silver lining and once again Kraigg showed his ever improving ability to hit runs at a much quicker rate...getting 96 in half a day is not something we've been used to from Brathwaite :D ...but he did the same in the four day comp against Leewards i think...so that's great to see. Meanwhile Leon Johnson once again scored and hung on in there...really good to see the rise of Leon and his consistancy these days is encouraging.

The pacers just blew Bang away huh? started off rusty but once they found their stride they were devastating...happy to see Cummings and Cotterrell get some wickets to get into the groove too...the spinner should come into play in the next innings.