• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies cricket discussion

Flem274*

123/5
Just hammer the report button like the rest of us when he gets a roll on. Might get him sorted out faster.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I'm not too down about this series defeat because there were improvements, especially in the bowling. We know we have a couple of good cricketers to come into the mix in Sunil Narine and Dwayne Bravo.

What do you think about Gibson? Personally, I would sack the selectors and Otis, administratively we need a completely fresh start. We've got some excellent cricketers back in action and have the nucleus of an excellent team that just needs to develop a winning mentality. Bangladesh in August would be an ideal start for a new coach to work with the players, in conjunction with Amby and Stuart Williams who have been working well as batting and bowling coaches during their short tenures.

There have simply been too many selection/management mistakes and the director of cricket Richard Pybus needs to be complemented by someone new without all these mistakes on their record.

Honestly, one of the worst selection decisions I've seen made for a deciding test. It was mentioned just after the final XI was announced and the results only served to prove it.

I'm not sure if Australia, even with Gilly, would have played 5 bowlers - Could be wrong though.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I too am not totally dispirited because this team has shown some excellent potential and with better selections and performance in the field and as captain from Randin, this series could have been ours. Holder looked surprisingly good with the bat and could be a more than decent bowling all rounder. We need better keeping from Ramdin, to groom a captain and a Test class no. 3 and I honestly believe we can compete with anyone. Narine also needs to decide where his priorities lie.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly, one of the worst selection decisions I've seen made for a deciding test. It was mentioned just after the final XI was announced and the results only served to prove it.

I'm not sure if Australia, even with Gilly, would have played 5 bowlers - Could be wrong though.
They did only a few times and that was on turners to play McGill and Warne, but yes, even they hardly tried it and they were better suited in every way to make it work.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah that would be right. I imagine at the time, aside from perhaps Martyn or who ever was filling the number 4 spot, the top 6 would have all averaged 50 or so

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Well tbf the other reason they never tried it is because they never had a problem taking 20 wickets.

Slifer

International Captain
The thing is Hendrix, I've never actually seen any team try this in a deciding test. Either way it already happened and time to move on. As I said before, congrats to NZ they were the better team and though we have plenty to work on, there is plenty to be happy about....

Slifer

International Captain
Just hammer the report button like the rest of us when he gets a roll on. Might get him sorted out faster.
I prefer to ignore him tbh. People like him I believe would only thrive on the attention if he were reported. And it's sad because NZ is a team that is actually worth rooting for. It's a lot like fans of u know who (SRT). I personally like SRT but his obnoxious fans sometimes forces me to spew hate where ordinarily I wouldn't

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

2003 tour to the West Indies

7. Hogg
8. Bichel
9. Lee
10. Gillespie
11. MacGill

With McGrath replacing Hogg and slotting in at #11 when he rejoined the tour.

Slifer

International Captain
2003 tour to the West Indies

7. Hogg
8. Bichel
9. Lee
10. Gillespie
11. MacGill

With McGrath replacing Hogg and slotting in at #11 when he rejoined the tour.
Australia could get away with it because they were much more stronger than us that it didn't matter. At best we were slightly weaker than NZ and to make matters worse, our batting of late has been notoriously unreliable.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Question for my fellow WI fans what ever happened to a certain Jermaine Lawson
Remodelled his action in 2003/4 but had lost at least a yard of pace (went from 96mph to just over 80). He just wasn't as effective without the searing pace. He stayed in and around West Indies cricket until about 2007/8 when it became clear that he could no longer even take wickets in FC cricket.

It was a huge shame, but unfortunately when he got up to the mid 90mph range he was a pelter and without pelting he just wasn't very effective. Last I heard he was living and playing club games in the US.

Beamer

I too am not totally dispirited because this team has shown some excellent potential and with better selections and performance in the field and as captain from Randin, this series could have been ours. Holder looked surprisingly good with the bat and could be a more than decent bowling all rounder. We need better keeping from Ramdin, to groom a captain and a Test class no. 3 and I honestly believe we can compete with anyone. Narine also needs to decide where his priorities lie.
Totally agree and it's time to move forward with a new coach with fresh ideas as to how to change the mentality of talented cricketers who have become too used to losing.

Beamer

One more thing I wanted to say which got a bit lost on the tour thread (understandably in the euphoria of Kane's knock) is just how good Kemar Roach is and will be if he keeps fit.

100 wickets at 27, in just 26 matches. He was easily the leading wicket taker in a series that included two of the World's best seam bowlers. Its easy to forget that he was statistically the Worlds leading fast bowler in 2012. We were rightly cautious before the series as to whether he would be as good as Southee and Boult on his return but he has comprehensively answered those questions. As he gets more games, his pace will get back up to the 140kph range and he will take wickets everywhere.

Man it's good to have some decent fast bowlers again. It has been too long.

Slifer

International Captain
Indeed. But this might sound a bit outrageous but I honestly think that if Holder stays fit, he has even more potential...and he's being groomed by Amby. Can't ask for much more!!

Beamer

Indeed. But this might sound a bit outrageous but I honestly think that if Holder stays fit, he has even more potential...and he's being groomed by Amby. Can't ask for much more!!
Holder has literally everything going for him apart from pace. If he can somehow get his deliveries up to an average speed of around 135kph (rather than just the odd delivery at around 140 like it is now) he will be pretty hard to stop. He has swing, seam, bounce and accuracy combined with an Ambrose-esque line and length.

I know he is working with Amby on this as he has mentioned it in various interviews. He definitely has a good head on his shoulders.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Even though I was disappointed to see Rossco get out like that, I was really happy for Holder when he got that wicket.

The Windies have to do everything in their power to keep the fragile Taylor fit because that's a seriously good attack. Even if Benn plays ahead of Narine I'm confident that he could contribute with his accuracy, bounce and the sheer pressure of not having a release valve.

Slifer

International Captain
One more thing I wanted to say which got a bit lost on the tour thread (understandably in the euphoria of Kane's knock) is just how good Kemar Roach is and will be if he keeps fit.

100 wickets at 27, in just 26 matches. He was easily the leading wicket taker in a series that included two of the World's best seam bowlers. Its easy to forget that he was statistically the Worlds leading fast bowler in 2012. We were rightly cautious before the series as to whether he would be as good as Southee and Boult on his return but he has comprehensively answered those questions. As he gets more games, his pace will get back up to the 140kph range and he will take wickets everywhere.

Man it's good to have some decent fast bowlers again. It has been too long.
Just had a look at his record and it's excellent but there is disparity between his home and away stats. I suspect that it's mostly due to him not being fully fit on several of his away tours. Hopefully he corrects this anomaly soon .....

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Did I hear correctly that Ramdin blamed the batsmen for the last Test defeat? So no blame allocated to a huge selection ****up of playing an ineffective spinner over an additional top order batsman or the fact that he dropped the eventual match winner when he was in his 20's and that his captaincy for the match was generally piss?

Just wondering.