• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest cricket match ever?

Greatest cricket match ever?

• Kolkata 2001

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Edgerton 2005

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • MI vs RR 2014

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Was it better than the T20 International when McCullum 'dilscooped' a century against Tait and co and then NZ won in the super over?
yup, better IMO.

Chases are better. Also, I think that McCullum innings was before Dilshan had laid claim to the scoop.

Last edited:

sensally123

Cricket Spectator
MI vs RR was a spectacular match especially MI innings with all the hits & entertainment & the suspense when the match was not yet finished on scoring equal runs. Next came a six & celebration from last 3 to playoffs for MI in the IPL 7.
MI's 195/5 in 14.4 is a new record in T20 cricket & 50 in just 3.5 overs.
19 fours & 12 sixes of that single innings by MI.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
MI vs RR was a spectacular match especially MI innings with all the hits & entertainment & the suspense when the match was not yet finished on scoring equal runs. Next came a six & celebration from last 3 to playoffs for MI in the IPL 7.
MI's 195/5 in 14.4 is a new record in T20 cricket & 50 in just 3.5 overs.
19 fours & 12 sixes of that single innings by MI.
Thanks for that mate. I don't know why you got banned for making a pro IPL post - I think it is discrimination personally. I have emailed James my concerns on your behalf. Kia Kaha.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the most hilarious thing about the finish was the fact that even if Mumbai had played out another dot they would still have qualified if they'd smashed a six next ball. On the other hand, if they'd actually got a single or a two instead of a dot, they'd have missed out . :laugh:

Completely bizarre scenario.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think the most hilarious thing about the finish was the fact that even if Mumbai had played out another dot they would still have qualified if they'd smashed a six next ball. On the other hand, if they'd actually got a single or a two instead of a dot, they'd have missed out . :laugh:

Haha, wtf, how does this work?

Also - even better than the 2010 WC semi?

OverratedSanity

Haha, wtf, how does this work?

Also - even better than the 2010 WC semi?
Because apparently along with the run rate, it's the final score when you win that counts. If they'd taken a single, they'd have won but their total would've been just 190. Hence a slower final run rate. If they'd played out a dot and hit a six next ball, they'd have been at 195 with a higher run rate. I can't fully wrap my head around it but that's sort of how it works. As I said, just hilarious :lol:

And you're talking about the Hussey match, right? That was good too but this just had that extra sprinkling of confusion over the finish that made it better.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ah, so that explains why people seem to be saying that if Faukner had bowled a dot and a deliberate wide then RR would have been fine?

Daemon

If they played another dot, they still had balls 14.5 and 14.6 to hit a four to win. If all 3 ended up dot balls, 15.1 would have to be a 6 for them to win.

Ah, so that explains why people seem to be saying that if Faukner had bowled a dot and a deliberate wide then RR would have been fine?
Yep.

Daemon

Oh didn't realise the IPL suggestion was srs. Definitely the IPL game then.
I highly, highly doubt you watched the entire match anyways, so instead of just rubbishing the game like some sort of cricket snob I suggest you watch it before trying to compare it to the Netherlands game.

So that peeps can relive the splendour of arguably the greatest game of all time.
I don't know what your point is, but the poll option was quite obviously a joke suggestion.

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
The best thing is that if they had hit the first one for four, but completed a single before the ball crossed the boundary, the single would have counted first and the total would have been 190.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The Mumbai/RR scenario was just so odd it was hilarious. The permutations at the end were great.

91Jmay

International Coach
The best thing is that if they had hit the first one for four, but completed a single before the ball crossed the boundary, the single would have counted first and the total would have been 190.
How does that work? Surely they'd just argue they were not finished running and that the boundary is the only thing stopping them running.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As soon as they make the 1 run to overtake the opposition then they cannot run any more as the match is over.