• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

14 year old Trinidadian breaks Lara's schoolboy record and then scores 404 not out

WindieWeathers

International Regular
This discussion has been going on in the NZ vs WI thread so i figured it needed it's own thread so the other one doesn't go by the wayside...

School-boy Kirstan Kallicharan Touted as Next Brian Lara After Unbeaten 404!

19 May 2014

Fourteen-year-old Kirstan Kallicharan has also broken Brian Lara's high school record.

His name rings a bell. For those who loved the great West Indian team of the Seventies and Eighties, the name Alvin Issac Kallicharran rekindles memories of a nuggety left-hander, whose stylish batting style and appetite for big runs thrilled the purist. Thirty-four years after the legendary West Indian played his last Test match, another Kallicharan is making cricket headlines in the West Indies. On May 11, Trinidad and Tobago's Under-15 captain Kirstan Kallicharan scored an unbeaten 404 in a 35-over under-14 school match in Port-of-Spain. He came in at No. 3 and in the 10th over. In May last year, he had smashed Brain Lara's high-school record.

Kirstan, turning out for the Vishnu Boys Hindu College in a Secondary Schools Cricket League U-14 quarterfinal against Valencia High School, clobbered 44 fours and 31 sixes. He scored his century off just 35 balls. The Hindu College Boys won by 459 runs after Valencia, with no stomach for a fight, were shot out for a paltry 89 in the 24th over.

Last year in May, Kirstan erased Lara's name from the record books. Lara's long-standing record for the highest individual score in Trinidad and Tobago's Secondary School Cricket League was broken by Kirstan. Playing for Hindu College, Kallicharan scored 194 against Carapichaima East. The innings contained 26 fours and six sixes. Hindu College won by 197 runs but the highlight of the match was Lara's record of 168 going for a toss.

At a time when West Indian cricket has not been known for its Test performances, Kirstan's effort has prompted Trinidad and Tobago Sports Minister Anil Roberts to say that they may have unearthed a new Brian Lara (or may be an Alvin Kallicharran, who scored 12 Test hundreds at an average of 44.43).

Speaking to the Trinidad and Tobago Guardian, Roberts said, "It not only takes skill and physical strength to deliver such an amazing performance, but clearly this young "phenom" has a level of mental discipline that belies his age."

Roberts said, "This innings reminds me so much of the drive and discipline Brian Lara exhibited while he was at Fatima in the late 80's. I witnessed that first hand as a student and now as Minister, I see Kallicharan clearly signalling that he too, has the potential to become one of the sport's greatest batsmen."

Speaking about the knock in the Trinidad and Tobago Express newspaper, Kirstan said: "At the beginning I was just batting normal, just aiming to make a hundred but when I got to my century I realised I could score more and more and I just continued to bat."

According to Vishnu Boys coach Tarandath Sammy, the 14-year-old also scored a double hundred earlier this season, hitting 215 in an Under-16 game for his school.
Link

Due to his amazing form he has just been called up to the Trinidad u17s team having previously scored heavily for the u15s age 13...and if he does well it is said that an u19 call up awaits him.

Kallicharan gets U-17 call-up

May 15

Prolific run-scorer Kirstan Kallicharan’s skills will be tested at the Under-17 level after he was named in the Trinidad and Tobago side for this year’s regional Under-17 championships, which takes place in Tobago from July 6-16.

The T&T side will be led by 16-year-old left-arm orthodox spinner Bryan Boodram, who was part of the national Under-17 and Under-19 teams last year.

The 14-year-old middle order batsman, Kallicharan, dominated his age-group in the local PowerGen Secondary Schools Cricket League this season and also excelled at the BG T&T Under-15 InterZone tournament, slamming three centuries in three matches.

Last year Kallicharan led the T&T Under-15 team to victory in the regional Under-15 championships in Jamaica, finishing fourth on the list of top batsmen after scoring 192 runs and placing ninth on the overall bowling list, getting 17 wickets with his leg-spin.
Link

Here's is some footage of him aswell...

He's the right handed batsman HERE

Being interviewed HERE

And even Indian media are talking about him HERE

Well like i said on the other thread nothing is certain when it comes to youngsters and there's no guarantee he will make it to senior level...but clearly the boy is making a huge statement and with the buzz he is causing in the caribbean i just hope he can handle the pressure to come...because all eyes will be on him just like it was for Brian all them years ago when he was being talked about age 15. The thing that's got me wondering though is did all the great batsmen dominate at schoolboy level? I know Sachin was meant to be a monster at schoolboy level and Lara obviously showed his class early...while Sobers was just way ahead of everybody.. but what about Ponting? Kallis? etc? how did the modern greats get on at that early stage and was it a sign of things to come?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
More importantly is how he progresses going forward.

How is he performing this year?

These are the stories that give us hope though. One great young bat and a couple of special young speedsters alone are enough to turn around the fortunes of any team.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
More importantly is how he progresses going forward.

How is he performing this year?

These are the stories that give us hope though. One great young bat and a couple of special young speedsters alone are enough to turn around the fortunes of any team.
It's great to see given the decayed/decaying state of West Indies batting. I hope this turns out not to be a fluke, Bravo will be need the help holding the batting together in the years after Chanderpaul decides to call time.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
It's great to see given the decayed/decaying state of West Indies batting. I hope this turns out not to be a fluke, Bravo will be need the help holding the batting together in the years after Chanderpaul decides to call time.
Tbh there's a lot of talented young batsmen starting to emerge in the region..Kraigg is developing well and Shiv's son is learning all the time while Jermaine Blackwood and Sunil Ambris done really well in our last four day competition this year.

But no doubt if this kid turns out to be another Lara/batting great it would be massive for us...Darren Bravo is world class imo but in order to build a decent team you need much more than just one decent batsman.

grecian

Nice to hear something positive for a change.

Hope he does well. Can the WICB manage him well?
He should move to England, like Chris Jordan, best thing for his career I reckon:D

Actually really wanted England to pick Alvin when he was qualified for us, him and Gower playing together would have been orgasmic.

the big bambino

International Captain
Pity the IPL wasn't in existence then as its the only format such a pairing could ever have happened. :D

The innings is stunning and is backed up with an impressive number of other instances of big scoring which suggests a consistency that is as impressive.

grecian

the big bambino;3274223[B said:
]Pity the IPL wasn't in existence then as its the only format such a pairing could ever have happened. :D [/B]

The innings is stunning and is backed up with an impressive number of other instances of big scoring which suggests a consistency that is as impressive.
Well apart from the World Series, County Cricket West Indies domestic and as I said England as Alvin was qualified, plus others I may have forgotten you're quite right if only they could have played in a hollow money-making exercise where they could have slaughtered some useless Indian bowlers..

Anyway it's amazing to watch, a guy with an open shirt, like Gower, batting against some bloke bowling incredibly fast with no bouncer restriction, yet being nonchalantly ***y about it. It's just a different era, but the danger was part of the fun of watching it, every hook or pull had spice.

the big bambino

International Captain
Well apart from the World Series, County Cricket West Indies domestic and as I said England as Alvin was qualified, plus others I may have forgotten you're quite right if only they could have played in a hollow money-making exercise where they could have slaughtered some useless Indian bowlers..

Anyway it's amazing to watch, a guy with an open shirt, like Gower, batting against some bloke bowling incredibly fast with no bouncer restriction, yet being nonchalantly ***y about it. It's just a different era, but the danger was part of the fun of watching it, every hook or pull had spice.
Neither played WSC and one would have suited up for the WI and the other the World XI if they had but yes it could have happened in county cricket. Looked like Davison was the OS pro at Gower's club at the time. He'd have been a good get. Fine player who would never be drawn away for internationals. I saw him play at Perth for Tasmania once and remember him clubbing some amazing sixes over cover on that big ground.