• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Sunil Narine become an all time great?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know about the comparisons to Mendis, at least Narine has a stock delivery.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think he should play some county cricket - Lanky have a vacancy for an overseas player ......................

smash84

The Tiger King
Well what about Ajmal? he started his test career at age 30/31 didn't he? and he is the one i'd compare Narine too...so when you think about the impact Ajmal has made in his test career he can't have been anywhere near as talented as Narine is aged 25...so that's why i think Narine has a chance of really pushing on now.
Ridiculous statement tbh. The reason Ajmal didn't make his debut earlier is the fact that unfortunately the player selection in Pakistan is not very fair it has nothing to do with how talented Ajmal was/wasn't. Until 2004 Saqlain was in the team (they are of the same age) so Ajmal was nowhere in the picture. It was only when Misbah regained his place in the side that he was able to bring attention to Ajmal. I also think that (and as Michael Clarke pointed out in his recent interview) Ajmal's main strength is how much control he has. He lands the ball so that the batsman has to play at it and if the batsman misses then it could be an lbw. I am not sure if Narine has that kind of control. I haven't seen him bowl too much.

One of the main bowlers in their attack, Saaed Ajmal, is considered a mystery spinner. He bowls the doosra. Sunil Narine with West Indies bowls that. We don't see it as much from Australian fingerspinners. Do you think that's something that should be encouraged?
I don't think it matters how you bowl. It's about consistency, execution and learning your art. Saeed Ajmal is a wonderful bowler and one of his greatest strengths is he can spin the ball both ways, but a lot of people don't understand and realise how accurate he is. He can bowl over after over and land the ball on a 20-cent coin.
Interviews : Michael Clarke | 'Our greatest challenge is to win away from home' | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio | ESPN Cricinfo

OverratedSanity

The right answer is that it is too early to say. I think he has more potential than Mendis, certainly. He spins the ball more, and balances the overspin/sidespin in his deliveries better, which was mendis' main weakness. Will always remain a threat in LA but whether he has the ability to deceive batsmen when they play his deliveries on merit remains to be seen.

social

The right answer is that it is too early to say. I think he has more potential than Mendis, certainly. He spins the ball more, and balances the overspin/sidespin in his deliveries better, which was mendis' main weakness. Will always remain a threat in LA but whether he has the ability to deceive batsmen when they play his deliveries on merit remains to be seen.
Correct

Mendis destroyed India early in his test career whilst Narine has done nothing that bears comparison

Furthermore, Lyon is probably the best young spinner in test cricket (aged 26 with over 100 wickets on largely flat decks) and I don't know anybody that claims he will be an ATG

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Ridiculous statement tbh. The reason Ajmal didn't make his debut earlier is the fact that unfortunately the player selection in Pakistan is not very fair it has nothing to do with how talented Ajmal was/wasn't. Until 2004 Saqlain was in the team (they are of the same age) so Ajmal was nowhere in the picture. It was only when Misbah regained his place in the side that he was able to bring attention to Ajmal. I also think that (and as Michael Clarke pointed out in his recent interview) Ajmal's main strength is how much control he has. He lands the ball so that the batsman has to play at it and if the batsman misses then it could be an lbw. I am not sure if Narine has that kind of control. I haven't seen him bowl too much.
Erm how is it a "ridiculous" statement? :huh: regardless of what the circumstances were Ajmal still wasn't embarrassing top class batsmen at international level like Narine is doing now age 25..that's just a fact. Could he have done the same at 25? i don't know...but until you're out there all that is speculative. The point i was making is Ajmal can't have been any better at a similar age and as he's matured he's turned into a monster...therefore Sunil should take inspiration from that seeing as he's already playing Test cricket while Ajmal had to wait another five years to do so.

Yep and i'd agree with Clarke..Ajmal is a brilliant spinner and i'm one of the few on these boards who brings up his name quite a lot because i'm hoping Narine can reach that level in the test arena.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Correct

Mendis destroyed India early in his test career whilst Narine has done nothing that bears comparison

Furthermore, Lyon is probably the best young spinner in test cricket (aged 26 with over 100 wickets on largely flat decks) and I don't know anybody that claims he will be an ATG
Well for a start Ashwin has a better record and is only a year older...also Narine has played six tests compared to Lyon's 33..Nathan is doing great right now but it's clear he's just a conventional off-break spinner with no thrills while Narine has the ability to captivate people...and despite the great records ultimately that's what really seperated Warne and Murali from the rest.

Daemon

Well for a start Ashwin has a better record and is only a year older...also Narine has played six tests compared to Lyon's 33..Nathan is doing great right now but it's clear he's just a conventional off-break spinner with no thrills while Narine has the ability to captivate people...and despite the great records ultimately that's what really seperated Warne and Murali from the rest.
..no

OverratedSanity

This is like when people were frothing over Ishant Sharma and pronounced him the next Ambrose after that 2008 home series vs Australia. Indians and the windies just aren't that different at all

fredfertang

What I don't understand with Narine, athough there may be a good reason for this in which case WW can doubtless enlighten me, is why isn't a bloke who is the most promising spinner in the world game (save Kegga, obviously) not been given an extended run in the Test side - after all the WIndies are hardly over endowed with decent bowlers atm

(Mind you if he still has the haircut he has on his cricinfo profile I can see a possible reason)

WindieWeathers

International Regular
What I don't understand with Narine, athough there may be a good reason for this in which case WW can doubtless enlighten me, is why isn't a bloke who is the most promising spinner in the world game (save Kegga, obviously) not been given an extended run in the Test side - after all the WIndies are hardly over endowed with decent bowlers atm

(Mind you if he still has the haircut he has on his cricinfo profile I can see a possible reason)
It's been a complicated right...i'll try my best.

1. when he first came onto the scene he played odi's and was a sensation..especially at home to Australia in 2012..but instead of giving him his test debut in that series the selectors allowed him to go to the IPL and played Bishoo instead.

2. In that same series against Australia Bishoo was dropped and Shillingford came in and took a 10fer..so there was another spinner doing well

3. a little after that we went to England and Shilly complained that he couldn't grip the ball due to the "cold"..Narine had just won the mvp at the IPL and lit up the place so he went straight from India to England and played in the third test which was washed out.

4. After that the guys returned to Caribbean where we faced NZ and Narine kept his place...helping us win the series 2-0 by getting 12 wickets in the matches

5. we then went to Bangledash and he got three wickets in the first innings of the first test but then went wicketless in the next innings and never took a wicket in the 2nd test match either which to be fair were on very flat pitches

6. So we then play Zimbabwe at home and Narine plays the ODI's and does well..but didn't play the tests...the selectors claimed "he needed a rest", Shilly came back in and once again got a 10fer

7. after that a quickly put together test series in india come out of nowhere and we were all expecting Narine to be picked in the squad but because the selectors are idiots they picked Permaul instead..

8. Shilly got called in india and the selectors decided to pick Narine to tour NZ just incase Shilly didn't pass the action tests.

9. despite that whole thing hanging over Shillingford they still contrived to pick him for the first two tests and when the results came back that he was chucking Narine played the third test and got a 6fer

It's been a bumpy old road..not helped by the fact that everytime our first class competition started he would only play two or three games for Trinidad before having to leave for the IPL...that won't be an issue now though as our first class structure has changed. And right now he's most certainly one of the first names on the teamsheet.

fredfertang

1. when he first came onto the scene he played odi's and was a sensation..especially at home to Australia in 2012..but instead of giving him his test debut in that series the selectors allowed him to go to the IPL and played Bishoo instead.

2. In that same series against Australia Bishoo was dropped and Shillingford came in and took a 10fer..so there was another spinner doing well

3. a little after that we went to England and Shilly complained that he couldn't grip the ball due to the "cold"..Narine had just won the mvp at the IPL and lit up the place so he went straight from India to England and played in the third test which was washed out.

4. After that the guys returned to Caribbean where we faced NZ and Narine kept his place...helping us win the series 2-0 by getting 12 wickets in the matches

5. we then went to Bangledash and he got three wickets in the first innings of the first test but then went wicketless in the next innings and never took a wicket in the 2nd test match either which to be fair were on very flat pitches

6. So we then play Zimbabwe at home and Narine plays the ODI's and does well..but didn't play the tests...the selectors claimed "he needed a rest", Shilly came back in and once again got a 10fer

7. after that a quickly put together test series in india come out of nowhere and we were all expecting Narine to be picked in the squad but because the selectors are idiots they picked Permaul instead..

8. Shilly got called in india and the selectors decided to pick Narine to tour NZ just incase Shilly didn't pass the action tests.

9. despite that whole thing hanging over Shillingford they still contrived to pick him for the first two tests and when the results came back that he was chucking Narine played the third test and got a 6fer

It's been a bumpy old road..not helped by the fact that everytime our first class competition started he would only play two or three games for Trinidad before having to leave for the IPL...that won't be an issue now though as our first class structure has changed. And right now he's most certainly one of the first names on the teamsheet.
Cheers for that - its good to be reassured that selectors are perverse the world over

viriya

International Captain

I knew about 1-6 thanks for the 7-9 to get me up to speed.. Narine definitely deserves an extended run, but most of all he needs a mentor on how to bowl in Tests - if Saqlain is still around helping WI spinners than I expect Narine to have get some good advice..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

On top of what WW just pointed out, Shillingford is actually a very good "bowler" and was doing extremely well. They definitely could have found room for both a lot of the time IMO but because they're both offies and their allrounder (Deonarine) was also an offie batting six, and also because Sammy had to be slotted in somewhere as captain, they tended to look for more variety when they played two spinners.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Narine has however only played 13 FC matches and has yet to develop a long form game on pitches that don't aid spin as much. So odds of him being an ATG I would say are lower than you might be expecting.