Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leading test wickets takers 2003

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Leading test wickets takers 2003

I was appalled to see that Ntini was the leading test wicket taker in 2003, and that Stu MacGil was 2nd! How did this happen?

Ntini bowls short wide long hops that good batsman dispatch into the crowd! He only gets wickets cos Smith gives him 2 Gullys.

MacGil is simply terrible, watched him play for Aus recently and whilst he was over here in eng for northants - i think but i could be wrong. The guy goes for over 100 runs most times without taking a single wicket!

The funniest thing i saw was an interview with Macgil where he said he was "confident" he'd keep his place once Warne was back. Wake up Stu, you wont be seen for dust once Warne is back in the ozzy fold.

Hogg better Macgil surely?

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    MacGill might be no world-beater, but he's a damn sight better than Brad "I'm about to get dropped by WA" Hogg.

SA have had a fairly easy year but that doesn't detract from the achievement. Bowling to the field, sounds like...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    For the most part, Ntini doesn't bowl 'short wide long hops' anymore. He gets wickets because he bowls quickly and intelligently, strange as that may seem to you, especially to left-handers. As for Macgill, his wickets were virtually all against Bangladesh and the like, the India series certainly exposed his many deficiencies.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

Ntini has really improved his bowling over the past couple of years. He is now a senior bowler, miles away from the inexperianced bowler who started.
    Only two states to be in - Queensland and drunk.

U19 Cricketer
    Ntini is a gun bowler. Alwas thought he had a fair bit of potential, but has now finally started to deliver on it.

MacGill is a good replacement.

MacGill has always been expensive....but he himself said he is good for the tailenders (India's anyways)....

We'll see how good "short ball" Ntini is once they play Australia, He never bowls "quickly and intelligently" you can blantantly see the guy doesnt know what he's gonna bowl from one ball to the next.

I accept the guy does seem to have one over on the left handers, he made Marcus Trescothik look poor at times last summer.

Banned

Re: Leading test wickets takers 2003

Originally posted by Thelwell
    I was appalled to see that Ntini was the leading test wicket taker in 2003, and that Stu MacGil was 2nd! How did this happen?

happened because of two main & simple reasons.
    1. both are wicket taking bowlers even if expensive at times
    2. games played

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by Thelwell
    Ntini bowls short wide long hops that good batsman dispatch into the crowd! He only gets wickets cos Smith gives him 2 Gullys.
    Don't judge Ntini by his poor tour of England. For the most part of the last 3 years he has been brilliant in ODIs and very reliable in Tests. Just because he had a poor NatWest Series and a frankly terrible Test-series (somehow he ended top wicket-taker) he has regained his accuracy since (even if Gayle made a mockery of all the bowlers in the last Test) and is now again looking the bowler he did in 2000\01, 2001\02 and 2002\03.
    MacGil is simply terrible, watched him play for Aus recently and whilst he was over here in eng for northants - i think but i could be wrong. The guy goes for over 100 runs most times without taking a single wicket!
    MacGill played for Notts last season and bowled terribly (yet still managed 17 wickets in two "Test"-matches against Bangladesh in the middle of it) and for the most part of his Test career he has been exposed for how rubbish he is. However, sadly that Bangladesh series drops his average from 30.70 to 28.something. His only other decent times have been the 1998\99 series against England (and we all know how fantastic England were against spin back then, don't we?) and a couple of one-off Tests against South Africa.
    Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    MacGill might be no world-beater, but he's a damn sight better than Brad "I'm about to get dropped by WA" Hogg.
    This is my feeling exactly. I don't rate MacGill at all but how Hogg got anywhere near the Australian Test side I'll never know.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Just watch ntini bowl at the windies in the vening series and he bearly made them ball, stick not convinced about the guy's accuracy.

I disspair for the Aus once warne retires as a half decent replacement appears impossible to find, unless there's a guy on the domestic team we dont know about?

MacGil is just terrible, cannot describe how poor the guy. His action is abit of a chuck as well! funniest thing i saw apaprt from Macgils quote about staying in the team once warne is back, was macgil bowling in the Twenty20 cup - oh my god he bowled some pies!!! Took great pleasure in watch him get lashed in to the crowds.
    Adam Gilchrist's Number 1 Fan 8D

Did MacGill play in the Zimbabwe test series as well? I know he picked up plenty of wickets against Bangladesh.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

dont think he did? maybe played in one est but i know katich was bein used as the spin option most oof the time, he took 6/7 wickets in one innings.

International Coach
    Originally posted by Richard
    1) Don't judge Ntini by his poor tour of England. For the most part of the last 3 years he has been brilliant in ODIs and very reliable in Tests. Just because he had a poor NatWest Series and a frankly terrible Test-series (somehow he ended top wicket-taker) he has regained his accuracy since (even if Gayle made a mockery of all the bowlers in the last Test) and is now again looking the bowler he did in 2000\01, 2001\02 and 2002\03.

2) I don't rate MacGill at all but how Hogg got anywhere near the Australian Test side I'll never know.
    1) Agree. Why Thelwell thinks he is rubbish I'll never know.

2) Agree. I really don't rate MacGill, he is too inaccurate. But Hogg is inaccurate, and he doesn't spin it.
    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

cos he's overated and bollox

Tim
    heh, well that was to the point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information