• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Leading test wickets takers 2003

Thelwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I was appalled to see that Ntini was the leading test wicket taker in 2003, and that Stu MacGil was 2nd! How did this happen?

Ntini bowls short wide long hops that good batsman dispatch into the crowd! He only gets wickets cos Smith gives him 2 Gullys.

MacGil is simply terrible, watched him play for Aus recently and whilst he was over here in eng for northants - i think but i could be wrong. The guy goes for over 100 runs most times without taking a single wicket!

The funniest thing i saw was an interview with Macgil where he said he was "confident" he'd keep his place once Warne was back. Wake up Stu, you wont be seen for dust once Warne is back in the ozzy fold.

Hogg better Macgil surely?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
MacGill might be no world-beater, but he's a damn sight better than Brad "I'm about to get dropped by WA" Hogg.

SA have had a fairly easy year but that doesn't detract from the achievement. Bowling to the field, sounds like...

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
For the most part, Ntini doesn't bowl 'short wide long hops' anymore. He gets wickets because he bowls quickly and intelligently, strange as that may seem to you, especially to left-handers. As for Macgill, his wickets were virtually all against Bangladesh and the like, the India series certainly exposed his many deficiencies.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Ntini has really improved his bowling over the past couple of years. He is now a senior bowler, miles away from the inexperianced bowler who started.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Ntini is a gun bowler. Alwas thought he had a fair bit of potential, but has now finally started to deliver on it.

MacGill is a good replacement.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
MacGill has always been expensive....but he himself said he is good for the tailenders (India's anyways)....

Thelwell

We'll see how good "short ball" Ntini is once they play Australia, He never bowls "quickly and intelligently" you can blantantly see the guy doesnt know what he's gonna bowl from one ball to the next.

I accept the guy does seem to have one over on the left handers, he made Marcus Trescothik look poor at times last summer.

Thelwell said:
I was appalled to see that Ntini was the leading test wicket taker in 2003, and that Stu MacGil was 2nd! How did this happen?

happened because of two main & simple reasons.
1. both are wicket taking bowlers even if expensive at times
2. games played

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thelwell said:
Ntini bowls short wide long hops that good batsman dispatch into the crowd! He only gets wickets cos Smith gives him 2 Gullys.
Don't judge Ntini by his poor tour of England. For the most part of the last 3 years he has been brilliant in ODIs and very reliable in Tests. Just because he had a poor NatWest Series and a frankly terrible Test-series (somehow he ended top wicket-taker) he has regained his accuracy since (even if Gayle made a mockery of all the bowlers in the last Test) and is now again looking the bowler he did in 2000\01, 2001\02 and 2002\03.
MacGil is simply terrible, watched him play for Aus recently and whilst he was over here in eng for northants - i think but i could be wrong. The guy goes for over 100 runs most times without taking a single wicket!
MacGill played for Notts last season and bowled terribly (yet still managed 17 wickets in two "Test"-matches against Bangladesh in the middle of it) and for the most part of his Test career he has been exposed for how rubbish he is. However, sadly that Bangladesh series drops his average from 30.70 to 28.something. His only other decent times have been the 1998\99 series against England (and we all know how fantastic England were against spin back then, don't we?) and a couple of one-off Tests against South Africa.
Neil Pickup said:
MacGill might be no world-beater, but he's a damn sight better than Brad "I'm about to get dropped by WA" Hogg.
This is my feeling exactly. I don't rate MacGill at all but how Hogg got anywhere near the Australian Test side I'll never know.

Thelwell

Just watch ntini bowl at the windies in the vening series and he bearly made them ball, stick not convinced about the guy's accuracy.

I disspair for the Aus once warne retires as a half decent replacement appears impossible to find, unless there's a guy on the domestic team we dont know about?

MacGil is just terrible, cannot describe how poor the guy. His action is abit of a chuck as well! funniest thing i saw apaprt from Macgils quote about staying in the team once warne is back, was macgil bowling in the Twenty20 cup - oh my god he bowled some pies!!! Took great pleasure in watch him get lashed in to the crowds.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Did MacGill play in the Zimbabwe test series as well? I know he picked up plenty of wickets against Bangladesh.

Thelwell

dont think he did? maybe played in one est but i know katich was bein used as the spin option most oof the time, he took 6/7 wickets in one innings.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Richard said:
1) Don't judge Ntini by his poor tour of England. For the most part of the last 3 years he has been brilliant in ODIs and very reliable in Tests. Just because he had a poor NatWest Series and a frankly terrible Test-series (somehow he ended top wicket-taker) he has regained his accuracy since (even if Gayle made a mockery of all the bowlers in the last Test) and is now again looking the bowler he did in 2000\01, 2001\02 and 2002\03.

2) I don't rate MacGill at all but how Hogg got anywhere near the Australian Test side I'll never know.
1) Agree. Why Thelwell thinks he is rubbish I'll never know.

2) Agree. I really don't rate MacGill, he is too inaccurate. But Hogg is inaccurate, and he doesn't spin it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thelwell said:
Just watch ntini bowl at the windies in the vening series and he bearly made them ball, stick not convinced about the guy's accuracy.
Believe me, he's very, very accurate when bowling at his best. Don't just look at the tour of England.
funniest thing i saw apaprt from Macgils quote about staying in the team once warne is back, was macgil bowling in the Twenty20 cup - oh my god he bowled some pies!!! Took great pleasure in watch him get lashed in to the crowds.
I didn't - bowlers being smacked all over everywhere in Twenty20 is what it's designed for.
I much prefer seeing him hammered in a competition that actually matters - ie a Test-match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
Did MacGill play in the Zimbabwe test series as well? I know he picked up plenty of wickets against Bangladesh.
Thelwell said:
dont think he did? maybe played in one est but i know katich was bein used as the spin option most oof the time, he took 6/7 wickets in one innings.
MacGill played The First Zimbabwe Test then, like plenty, got injured.
He didn't do too well, and Katich's assortment of Long-Hops and Full-Tosses vastly outperformed their worth, and Hogg, in The Second Test. Just when Zimbabwe were seriously looking like they could cause one of the biggest upsets in sporting history.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Thelwell said:

A wicket is a wicket no matter how you get it, congratulations must go to Ntini for being the leading test wicket taker for 2003.