• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fielders & Catchers

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
I was wondering who in your opinion would be the best fielders and catchers?

My opinion:

Fielding wise I think that Ricky Ponting & Jonty Rhodes rank very highly.

As for catching, Mark Waugh & Mark Taylor in the slips were brilliant.
Andrew Symonds is great anywhere in regards to catching.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO the 3 best fielding sides are Aus, S.A & NZ...in no particular order.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've never personally seen a fielder better than Jonty Rhodes, just pure brilliance.

Obviously Ponting ranks very high, and I'd put Kaif and Yuvraj up there as well, they are excellent inside the circle. Mark Waugh was great when he was playing, and Taylor was a God in the slips.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fielding ain't what it used to be!
Catching standards are abysmal now (the best like Mark Waugh still dropped clangers about one a series), ground-fielding is almost unrecognisably better.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Also Taufeeq Umar is turning in to a fantastic catcher in the slips, he must take about 5 catches per test

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Armadillo said:
Also Taufeeq Umar is turning in to a fantastic catcher in the slips, he must take about 5 catches per test
Five catches per test! :O Mark Waugh's record of 181 catches will be under threat pretty soon if he can catch that many.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of those not mentioned:

Fielders - Gibbs, Hogg, Martyn (don't laugh ground fielding excellent), Vincent, Bichel, Lee, Afridi

Catchers - Lara, Fleming, Bichel, Pollock, Jayawardene (sp).

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
Fielders - Gibbs, Hogg, Martyn (don't laugh ground fielding excellent)
Would NEVER. I think hes a fantastic gulley feildsman. :)

Brad Williams is very good in the feild (especially when hes bowling like crap) and Matty Hayden, who knew hed be a good 1st slipper!! Granted his catches have been pretty simple.
Andy Blignaut's pretty damn sharp too, Ill never forget that catch v Aus A (also the surprise on his face).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Catches:matches ratio says FAR more about bowlers than it does about wicketkeepers and fielders.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brian Lara has been mentioned as an outstanding slip catcher, but recently he's done a great deal of fielding outside of the cordon as well. IMO he's a very under-rated ground fielder.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
In terms of ODI catches, Fleming is almost certain to go to the top of the list as he is on 100 & I think the highest is 110 or something.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Tim said:
In terms of ODI catches, Fleming is almost certain to go to the top of the list as he is on 100 & I think the highest is 110 or something.
Highest in ODI's is 156 by Mohammad Azharuddin

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Ahh, I knew Azza was top but I must have mis-read the stats.
He's quite a way ahead of the others though isn't he?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
156 M Azharuddin India
127 AR Border Australia
120 CL Hooper West Indies
111 SR Waugh Australia
109 RS Mahanama Sri Lanka
108 ME Waugh Australia
105 JN Rhodes South Africa
102 ST Jayasuriya Sri Lanka
101 SP Fleming New Zealand

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Considering the majority of that list have retired, Fleming has a pretty good chance of getting close to the top of that list.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, but I don't think anyone claims he is.
He's better than some part-timers I've seen - just about good enough to do the job in ODIs, though I think India should sacrifice a few matches now and give him the gloves back in ODIs in early 2006.
Just to try to avoid overworking him.