• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fielders & Catchers

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
Chris Harris...Hamish Marshall...the New Zealand boundary riders?
Any votes for the worst fielders? Inzy...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
ponting is the best current player easily, but there are plenty of good feiders around such as Dravid, Tendulkar, Symonds, Hayden, Lee- - well most of the NZ, Aus, RSA teams from memory are good

Craig

World Traveller
Simon Jones is pretty good.

He took a good "catch" off Hoggard when Hayden was on 40 at the 'Gabba, but there was more chance of Cronje coming back from the grave (dont take that the wrong way in any form) then John Crawley had of getting there.

Vaughan ruined his reputation as being a good fielder in the Ashes.

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
iamdavid said:
Inzy's actually got a pretty good arm despite his lack of pace / athletesism.
Well Steve Austin had one hell of an arm but that didn't make him an alright fielder? Na my only beef with Inzy is the way he run over top of the ball in the game on Saturday night I hope Miandad has health insurance.

It seems once you get out of Pakistans 30 metre circle the fielding standards are abysmal, sure theres not a blade of grass over there but they wear long sleeve tops don't they?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Simon Jones is pretty good.

He took a good "catch" off Hoggard when Hayden was on 40 at the 'Gabba, but there was more chance of Cronje coming back from the grave (dont take that the wrong way in any form) then John Crawley had of getting there.

Vaughan ruined his reputation as being a good fielder in the Ashes.
Vaughan hasn't been a good fielder for years.
Long before The Ashes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No.
The loss of Atherton hit the England cordon hard.
However, re-reading his autobiography again yesterday I am reminded of how terrible what he went through is. I was really disappointed in his retirement when it came, but now I understand the background I am most relieved he didn't try to play longer than he did.
Nonetheless, his slip-catching is a huge loss.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
No.
The loss of Atherton hit the England cordon hard.
However, re-reading his autobiography again yesterday I am reminded of how terrible what he went through is. I was really disappointed in his retirement when it came, but now I understand the background I am most relieved he didn't try to play longer than he did.
Nonetheless, his slip-catching is a huge loss.
From what I've seen Flintoff is a pretty good slip fielder.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, then, you've had bad selection in the games you've watched.
Flintoff is not a good slipper by any streatch of the imagination. Just like Trescothick to the spinners.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Well, then, you've had bad selection in the games you've watched.
Flintoff is not a good slipper by any streatch of the imagination. Just like Trescothick to the spinners.
Yeah, well...I only saw the few games he played in Australia, and some of the recent South Africa series, but most of the time South Africa were batting, so didn't see much of his fielding.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He actually wasn't quite as bad in the South Africa series as he normally is, but in 2002 especially he was terrible.
Must have dropped 7 or 8 catches in his 6 Tests. Might not seem like that much, but if you think it through it becomes a very large amount. And most of them were off good deliveries - he caught almost everything off bad deliveries from bad bowlers.:!( Why the hell it couldn't have been the other way around I don't for the life of me know.
The most stupid thing is that he "makes it look so easy" when he takes them, and all the misses are essentially forgotten.

Damien Martyn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Andy Bichel would be one of the best feilders on our era hes such a good thrower and when he chases a ball he never gives up

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
greatest fielder & catcher is Lou Vincent.He is fast,got a good and VERY accurate arm.

catcher is Stephen fleming.hes on 101 in odis,and has more than 100 in tests.

Im not sure if this is true,but I heard that he is the first fielder to get 100 test catches.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BlackCap_Fan said:
greatest fielder & catcher is Lou Vincent.He is fast,got a good and VERY accurate arm.

catcher is Stephen fleming.hes on 101 in odis,and has more than 100 in tests.

Im not sure if this is true,but I heard that he is the first fielder to get 100 test catches.
Does that mean that you equate Vincent's catching ability to Fleming's?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Does that mean that you equate Vincent's catching ability to Fleming's?
yes.

did anyone witness that amazing catch of andrew flintoff a few years ago by vincent.STUNNING.

But flemings a slip fieldsmean.

edit: I would like to add that I havnt seen vincents fielding in a long time,so if its horrible lately.mail it to "never" when I cared.