• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fixing Scandal!!!!!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Also, it's pretty hard to think of a worse target than McCullum. The guy has his NZ cricket number and silver fern tattooed across his arm for chrissake. As has been mentioned, he also had no financial incentive seeing as he was a) already a well established black cap and b) had an $800K contract with KKR.

Mr. X was always reputed to have an enormous ego. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he thought that all of the Black Caps - save Fleming and maybe Vettori - still worshipped the ground that he walked on and as such would be easy targets regardless of how much they made.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm more pissed off by the (admittedly old) news that we've permanently lost Cairns' brood to South Africa. You'd think we'd have at least negotiated a Pollock or two in exchange.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
In that respect I feel quite sorry for international sports people, reaching a peak at such an early age, with all the girls, adoration, excitement that entails. It must be a tough adjustment to make.

I feel sick reading about these allegations. I can also imagine, if my international career was over and I was playing mainly to money in an unsanctioned league, that it could be hard to resist. The thing that really disgusts me are the efforts to corrupt others, especially those who were outside that competition.
I must be hard to follow...but I don't feel sorry for them in that regard, even if it is a hardship. We all have them. I wish I was 21 again, but I'm not so I have to get on with it. They're well set-up (generally) and still able to trade off their name to a certain degree, if not in an on-field sense.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Am I the only one really annoyed we're going to be robbed of an astute commentator?:ph34r:
No, that was my reaction in December too. Plus, he could have been a useful guy to offer some tips to our emerging all-rounders.

@ SteveNZ, yes that's true.

It's been interesting to see Iain O'Brien's comments. He had been hinting pretty strongly on twitter back in December that he was not surprised to hear those guys were under investigation. He predicted someone would talk.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I am rather disappointed that McCullum didn't immediately report the approach, but it is understandable.

Brendon McCullum was approached by a cricket 'hero' to fix matches | Mail Online

The detail of McCullum’s evidence includes how the former star told him how to fix by batting slowly and to hide the money trail by buying property through an employee of the ICC, the world game’s governing body.
The star also told him that ‘the big boys’ in international cricket were doing it.
McCullum was first approached in 2008 in Kolkata before the start of the inaugural Indian Premier League. He told investigators that the star telephoned him to meet at his hotel to discuss a ‘business opportunity’.
‘We spent some time talking about various things over dinner,’ McCullum told investigators. ‘During the course of this conversation he asked me if I knew what spread betting was in cricket games. I told him not really, so he took a piece of paper and wrote down and explained the process to me.

‘I was really shocked as I saw X as a good friend and it totally confused me. X said that everybody was doing this in games.
‘He said that the “Big Boys” in international cricket were doing it and he didn’t want me to miss out. I am sure that he mentioned names to me but I cannot remember, although I seem to think that X mainly mentioned Asian cricketers. Using the piece of paper X explained the basic principles which were to score below a certain rate for the first six or so overs and then towards the end of the game there was another split. X told me he had done this himself.
‘[He] told me that potentially he could get for me from between $70,000-180,000 (£42-000-£107,000) a game.
‘X told me he had a good group working for him in the ICL and I understand this to mean fixing for him. It was my opinion then, as it is now, that X was actively concerned in fixing... I believed he was asking me to do the same thing for him in the IPL as others were doing in the ICL.’
McCullum asked the man how he was able to take money back to New Zealand without raising suspicion.

‘X told me that you don’t take or send it back to New Zealand. He explained that he had a man in Dubai who was associated with cricket. Through him you purchase a property in Dubai which you retain for a couple of years before selling it.
‘The money could then be moved wherever you want to send it because to all intents and purposes, it would appear to be profit from property deals rather than fixing. X told me the name of that man in Dubai.’
Despite McCullum saying he has ‘never, ever fixed’ he didn’t have the courage to say no immediately and instead said he would think about it before returning to his hotel in a ‘state of shock’. Later the star telephoned him and McCullum told him he was not interested.
‘He was a hero who became a friend so I always found it difficult to say no,’ McCullum said.

It was a matter of weeks before the superstar tried to coerce McCullum again. After his stint in the IPL, McCullum joined the New Zealand squad in England.
‘We were staying in Worcester and he called asking to catch up. He said he was just down the road and suggested we meet for breakfast. I thought it strange he was in the area. X asked if I’d changed my mind and I knew he was talking about fixing. I told him I had not.’
McCullum could be charged by the ICC for failure to report an approach to fix as it is a breach of the corruption code.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
It's been interesting to see Iain O'Brien's comments. He had been hinting pretty strongly on twitter back in December that he was not surprised to hear those guys were under investigation. He predicted someone would talk.
If you want know what Iain really thinks there was an interview on Saturday on radio sport,

Iain O'Brien: Spot Fixing Saga - On Demand Player - Radio Sport - New Zealand's Premier Sports Station

Or this article in the papers.

Cricket fixing scandal: The day I confronted Lou Vincent - Telegraph

He does not hold back and earned the wrath of Richardson, and Andre Adams as a result.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
If you want know what Iain really thinks there was an interview on Saturday on radio sport,

Iain O'Brien: Spot Fixing Saga - On Demand Player - Radio Sport - New Zealand's Premier Sports Station

Or this article in the papers.

Cricket fixing scandal: The day I confronted Lou Vincent - Telegraph

He does not hold back and earned the wrath of Richardson, and Andre Adams as a result.
What did Andre/Rigor have to say?

Iain is a bit of a nonsense but hell, the guy had demons of his own and never went down this path. He sweated every inch for his country and probably a) is angered by the fact someone else wouldn't be b) Lou is being painted as a bit of an easy target/subject of sorrow for his depression issues.

Fair enough if he wants to call Lou out on it.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Adams said something like if O'Brien had suspicions he should have raised them earlier, instead of waiting, saying "I knew it" and kicking Vincent when he's down.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
I think Adams said something like if O'Brien had suspicions he should have raised them earlier, instead of waiting, saying "I knew it" and kicking Vincent when he's down.
''I don't think it's very brave to say them after the fact that it's come out,'' Adams said.

''If you had those suspicions, why didn't you say it and put your neck on the line rather than coming out and slaying someone while they're down.

"I found that very weak and a kick in the guts. If he thought Lou was a fixer then why didn't he say that before?
Andre Adams worried for Lou Vincent's safety | Stuff.co.nz

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah, and I agree with this POV.

Tbf, O'Brien's comments weren't so much kicking him when he's down, it's only when taken out of context that they seem to be.

Anyway, he has a right to be pretty angry.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I am rather disappointed that McCullum didn't immediately report the approach, but it is understandable.

Brendon McCullum was approached by a cricket 'hero' to fix matches | Mail Online
McCullum's 'hero' tried to bribe him - report | Stuff.co.nz

New Zealand Cricket is adamant national captain Brendon McCullum won't face sanctions for ''a small delay'' in reporting a world renowned former cricketer who allegedly offered him up to US$180,000 to fix matches in 2008.

NZC chief executive David White expressed his disappointment that McCullum's testimony to International Cricket Council anti-corruption officials was leaked to the Daily Mail today.

According to the Mail's story, written by Ed Hawkins, a noted authority on cricket match fixing, McCullum told investigators he rebuffed two approaches from his ''hero'', both in 2008 while playing in the Indian Premier League, then in Worcester during New Zealand's tour of England.

McCullum didn't immediately report the approaches, as players are required to do, but White backed his skipper to the hilt and said he had "absolute 100 per cent confidence'' McCullum wouldn't face sanctions.

McCullum told investigators he had never fixed matches.

"I've spoken to Brendon and he's very disappointed he's in the public domain,'' White told Fairfax Media.

"He's not under investigation and his testimony has been applauded by the ICC. He was approached and he rebuffed those approaches and he reported it to the ICC.

"We believe he's done the right thing and we've got 100 per cent confidence in our captain and his role in tackling corruption.

"We understand there might have been a small delay in reporting the approaches but we know this has been canvassed by the ICC and they have no issues with it, at all.''

White was equally aghast that the testimony had been leaked, and said he would take the matter up with ICC chief executive Dave Richardson.

McCullum is currently playing for Chennai in the Indian Premier League and confirmed last night he was returning home this week for the birth of his third child.

White confirmed McCullum was interviewed more than once by anti-corruption officials and NZC was kept updated.

He was aware of other New Zealanders who had given evidence to anti-corruption officials but was unaware of any other current players.

"A lot of this is linked to six or seven years ago so it's quite historic in terms of the people they can talk to.
I don't know how long a "small delay" is, but surely that would be less than a year, right?

I mean, it's 2014 now and he was approached in 2008. Did it really take the ICC that long to get off their ass?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
And why Andre, if you're so close to Lou and allegedly an older brother figure to him, did you not know about all that was going on? Or did you, and not do enough about it? Maybe his friends let him down through this whole thing too, given how vulnerable we all think he was.

Kicking someone when they're down, when they've been a match fixer, doesn't appeal to me as the weakest behaviour I can imagine. It's contempt.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean, it's 2014 now and he was approached in 2008. Did it really take the ICC that long to get off their ass?
Yeah I think that's much more relevant here than David White is making out tbh, considering Mr F was telling McCullum "all the big boys" of the game were fixers. Would a whistle-blowing McCullum then turn into the equivalent of an excellent cyclist plying his trade in the years after his sport has become too murky for the truly global corporates to touch.

Would you really just "forget" the names Mr F told you were in the loop? Or is that a John Key memory issue that McCullum suffers from.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Would you really just "forget" the names Mr F told you were in the loop? Or is that a John Key memory issue that McCullum suffers from.
I think you'd have an idea who they were, but your memory would be confused by the Kaneria, Butt-Asif-Amir scandals in between then and now.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah I think that's much more relevant here than David White is making out tbh, considering Mr F was telling McCullum "all the big boys" of the game were fixers. Would a whistle-blowing McCullum then turn into the equivalent of an excellent cyclist plying his trade in the years after his sport has become too murky for the truly global corporates to touch.

Given how the ACSU is not immune from ICC interference and leaks like a sieve, I would be reluctant to name too many names in case that got out. Imagine the headlines if he had remembered
"McCullum accuses Dravid, Sangakarra and Misbah* of fixing"

The leaking of this evidence has done more harm than good in the battle against corruption

*These names are inter changeable with any sub continent cricketers

Last edited:

Skyliner

International 12th Man
I'm absolutely bloody incensed about this fixing scandal.
Firstly, huge thanks to the Daily Mail and the leaker within the ICC anti-corruption unit. Through their actions, finally the mug punters get to learn exactly what is going on.
Secondly, a huge brink-bat to the slimy David White and the noxious Heath Mills, who unbelievably are slamming the leaker. This is an absolute disgrace. This is a carbon copy of the cover-ups and blatant lies of the 'Ross Taylor captaincy' affair. The whole aim is to white-wash and keep the mushrooms in the dark being fed horse****.
So McCullum was approached in 2008, and players have to immediately report approaches. This is so clear cut, yet the mysterious Mr X has continued on his merry way for another SIX YEARS and we haven't heard boo. Mr X carries on for SIX YEARS, corrupting other players and no doubt ruining lives. And nothing is done. So a whistle-blower blows the whistle on what is going on and good on them!
Salim Malik and Mohammed Azaruddhin have been exposed as match fixers, and lets have some sunlight and disinfectant on NZ cricket as well. Lets not have our administrators 'incredibly disappointed' about leakers....lets have our NZC administrators 'incredibly disappointed' in corrupt NZ cricketers and 'incredibly determined' to root out corruption where-ever it may be.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Firstly, huge thanks to the Daily Mail and the leaker within the ICC anti-corruption unit. Through their actions, finally the mug punters get to learn exactly what is going on.
Secondly, a huge brink-bat to the slimy David White and the noxious Heath Mills, who unbelievably are slamming the leaker. This is an absolute disgrace. This is a carbon copy of the cover-ups and blatant lies of the 'Ross Taylor captaincy' affair. The whole aim is to white-wash and keep the mushrooms in the dark being fed horse****.
So McCullum was approached in 2008, and players have to immediately report approaches. This is so clear cut, yet the mysterious Mr X has continued on his merry way for another SIX YEARS and we haven't heard boo. Mr X carries on for SIX YEARS, corrupting other players and no doubt ruining lives. And nothing is done. So a whistle-blower blows the whistle on what is going on and good on them!
Salim Malik and Mohammed Azaruddhin have been exposed as match fixers, and lets have some sunlight and disinfectant on NZ cricket as well. Lets not have our administrators 'incredibly disappointed' about leakers....lets have our NZC administrators 'incredibly disappointed' in corrupt NZ cricketers and 'incredibly determined' to root out corruption where-ever it may be.
Good post - and good to see you back. I just checked and your first post was in January. Hopefully we will see you around during the windies test series.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
What. I disagree with most of this.

For a start, the ACSU appears to be doing something about it - as indicated by the fact that Vincent, McCullum, and at least a couple of county players have given evidence.

Secondly, why would NZ cricket "blow the whistle" on a case that is pending investigation? At the very least, they'd be sued for defamation. At the worst, it would have given Cairns et al enough warning to cover their tracks. The last thing they'd want to do is blow the whole investigation.