• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fixing Scandal!!!!!

Skyliner

International 12th Man
I don't think McCullum reported the approach in 2008, because one question at the press conference today was "why did it take you 3 years to report it?", and he wanted to answer that but David White shut him down.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think McCullum reported the approach in 2008, because one question at the press conference today was "why did it take you 3 years to report it?", and he wanted to answer that but David White shut him down.
**** David White is an annoying ****.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The way Cairn's is denying it makes you think he's confident that there's nothing on paper linking him directly to anything, and that there's enough murkiness about any payments received that it'll come down to a he-said she-said situation.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I disagree.
The evidence is overwhelming.
The only reason he's denying it is because if he did anything else he'd be taken straight to the UK and found guilty of perjury.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I disagree.
The evidence is overwhelming.
The only reason he's denying it is because if he did anything else he'd be taken straight to the UK and found guilty of perjury.
What is the evidence, apart from what people have said? Edit: genuine question.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The way Cairn's is denying it makes you think he's confident that there's nothing on paper linking him directly to anything, and that there's enough murkiness about any payments received that it'll come down to a he-said she-said situation.
His family are good for sticking by him.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
What is the evidence, apart from what people have said? Edit: genuine question.
The testimony of Vincent is perhaps a little weak, given that he's clearly working on a plea bargain. Perhaps you might be able to argue the same thing about the 3 young Indian players during the ICL. But McCullum's and Ella Riley's statements would surely be enough, one would imagine.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The testimony of Vincent is perhaps a little weak, given that he's clearly working on a plea bargain. Perhaps you might be able to argue the same thing about the 3 young Indian players during the ICL. But McCullum's and Ella Riley's statements would surely be enough, one would imagine.
I guess you can dismiss one person's testimony against you - when multiple peeps line up to point the finger at you it feels like a different kettle of fish - even if each story is uncorroborated. A CW lawyer to step in here and comment....

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Chris Cairns = Walter White (and 'BA' is his 'Heisenberg' alter-ego)

...and Lou Vincent = Jesse Pinkman.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Met Cairns quite a few times around the time of the Modi case and all I can say is that he must be a ****ing good actor if he is guilty

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Met Cairns quite a few times around the time of the Modi case and all I can say is that he must be a ****ing good actor if he is guilty
I'm not a psychology major, but I imagine that if you have a sizeable ego and you tell yourself enough that you're innocent, you take it on as fact.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I'm not a psychology major, but I imagine that if you have a sizeable ego and you tell yourself enough that you're innocent, you take it on as fact.
You only need to look at the examples of Bill Clinton, Armstrong and various others who have calmly denied any wrongdoing to see people are quite capable of it.

Meanwhile, there is a recorded Skype discussion between Vincent & Cairns lawyer & key libel trial witness Fitch-Holland.

Cairns' lawyer and Vincent discussed fixing in call - Sport - NZ Herald News