• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batty v Lara

KishanTeli

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Gareth Batty is looking forward to the chance to test himself against Brian Lara on the forthcoming tour of West Indies (4 Tests).

He is quoted as saying: "I've never bowled to Lara but you want to play against the world's best and it is a challenge I will relish,"

"I certainly won't be scared of bowling at him. I'm not that kind of person. You have to try to get on top of your opponent at whatever level you are playing and if we can get lara out then we can apply an awful lot of pressure."

Is there any chance of Batty being Lara's achilles heel? Given Lara's superb technique against (good) spinners, I would say no.

What do you think? Will he have figures of 20-0-123-0 or 20-5-45-3?

Lara has certainly taken much better spinners apart and I feel Batty is going to suffer the same treatment.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you didn't relish the challenge of bowling to Brian Lara, you're in the wrong game.

Same as in other sports - you want to play against the best.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Considering the selectors are too stupid to pick James Middlebrook, I fear he will play.

Also, Jason Brown is a guy I have always rated, but he never seems to get his chance.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
mushi

i think the government should speed up mushi's citizenship to england so england would have a half good legspinner:P

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Wow! Is Mushtaq going to England? If so, England will have a really good leg-spinner on their hands, not just a half-good one!

KishanTeli

If you didn't relish the challenge of bowling to Brian Lara, you're in the wrong game.
That wasn't the question, i was basically asking how do you think he will do, obviously subject to selection.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mushtaq is one of the more accurate leggies going around.
However he will be 36 BTT he is eligible and his recent Test record doesn't make pretty reading.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
KishanTeli said:
That wasn't the question, i was basically asking how do you think he will do, obviously subject to selection.
If he gets picked, I fully expect Lara to hammer him all over the park; read the same for all the other bowlers in the squad.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Batty v Lara.

Lofted drives for six, sweeps for four, cuts for fours...

Should be great entertainment!

KishanTeli

Well so far the general consensus is total carnage from Lara (and maybe the other batsmen, Gayle etc.), if the english selectors have any sense (questionnable) they will leave Batty on the sidelines and just pick Giles.

I hope that if Giles does play he bowls positively to Lara and co, not that negative rubbish he bowled to Sachin Tendulkar in India. Just a waste of time IMO. Saying that the captain has changed since.

What do you guys think, should England attack with their spin options?

Andre

International Regular
I don't think they have an option but to attack with the spinners.

A batsman like Lara can only be subdued for so long - eventually, he is going to explode.

They are far better trying to get him out than controlling him, because with the negative bowling comes negative cricket and ultimately negative results for England.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Much as I dislike legside negative bowling, Giles will have to play that role at some times because we have bowlers like Harmison, Anderson and Jones who are incapable of playing the defensive role.

Batty is very, very unlikely to play barring injuries.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Re: mushi

Armadillo said:
i think the government should speed up mushi's citizenship to england so england would have a half good legspinner:P
Next you know England will be calling up a 40 year old Stuart Law to play when he becomes an English citizen.