• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2015 Ashes in England

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why does it matter if their Asian?
dunno, couldn't play the swing maybe?

I do recall him taking a ridiculous amount of wickets in a series against Pakistan in England in very helpful conditions (not saying he didn't bowl well), which would no doubt slant those figures.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
He got five in Cape Town tbf. I also thought he did a decent job in the 2013 Ashes. 10/11 it probably didn't help that Australia went with four quicks for two of the tests where he might have been most effective.

Valer

First Class Debutant
It doesn't but Watson went through a weird phase where he became the Bradman of bowling against Asian opposition and bowled unthreatening rubbish against everyone else.
16/42 of those are against non asian sides. Its also a comparative measure over that time period.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Got to be the lowest key build to an ashes I've ever seen on this forum. No surprise, but. Have bet my brother a KFC on the result. England to win obv.

flibbertyjibber

I think most people are expecting Australia to win easily unless Anderson has a golden summer.

Personally think it will be a lot closer than many expect as the Aussies don't play swing very well. Think I will have a bet on Rodgers to be top runscorer for them.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think most people are expecting Australia to win easily unless Anderson has a golden summer.

Personally think it will be a lot closer than many expect as the Aussies don't play swing very well. Think I will have a bet on Rodgers to be top runscorer for them.
Yeah I'm not as confident as usual but I think any talk of a whitewash is absurd. Given we are the home side, Jimmy is in good form, and well even if we are **** rain would stop is getting whitewashed anyway

morgieb

Still think England have a real shot here. They're aren't great but at home I still rate their bowling attack at least, and we're still carrying a few passengers in the batting.

Looks like a potential bowling shootout.

OverratedSanity

Yeah, at home, England always have a good chance. Australia's batting aside from the two big guns is hardly very convincing.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who is higher on the list: Starc or Hazelwood? Last time I checked it was Hazelwood, but surely Starc's form, albeit with the white ball, should be taken into account.

morgieb

Who is higher on the list: Starc or Hazelwood? Last time I checked it was Hazelwood, but surely Starc's form, albeit with the white ball, should be taken into account.
Should still be Hazlewood. Though Starc is certainly knocking the door down.

flibbertyjibber

That is part of the reason I am not sure what will happen, Johnson in England has been terrible. Starc has a lot to prove with a red ball. Harris might not be able to play all 5 tests. Plenty of questions.

Not saying there aren't about England but they are at least at home and the bowlers are usually reliable in the conditions.

morgieb

That is part of the reason I am not sure what will happen, Johnson in England has been terrible. Starc has a lot to prove with a red ball. Harris might not be able to play all 5 tests. Plenty of questions.

Not saying there aren't about England but they are at least at home and the bowlers are usually reliable in the conditions.
In fairness the last times he played in England he was bowling pretty poorly everywhere. And still managed to take 20 wickets @ 32.

Daemon

Yeah, very likely imo that England can win at least a test. A whitewash just isn't happening. It's not hard to see Lyon not turning up, Starc/Johnson/whoever bowling **** and Harris being out with an injury. Anderson's in good form and Broad's gonna Broad sooner or later.

TheJediBrah

With KP England might even be favourites

assuming Cook & Anderson wouldn't murder him in the dressing room

morgieb

Yeah, very likely imo that England can win at least a test. A whitewash just isn't happening. It's not hard to see Lyon not turning up, Starc/Johnson/whoever bowling **** and Harris being out with an injury. Anderson's in good form and Broad's gonna Broad sooner or later.
No sides whitewash someone away from home. Only Australia in their prime did that.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No sides whitewash someone away from home. Only Australia in their prime did that.

........ and the West Indies of course. I think a lot depends on the weather - if we get a long hot summer I fear for England. Even if we get some damp conditions I think Australia will win comfortably enough, but we really ought to be able to take a Test is the ball is hooping around

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In fairness the last times he played in England he was bowling pretty poorly everywhere. And still managed to take 20 wickets @ 32.
The last time he played an Ashes series in England was on the back of destroying South Africa in their own back yard.