• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2015 Ashes in England

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Also, **** the Ashes.

Would be much more interesting to see England play a series in the Windies.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the best highlight of England touring WI was Chris Lewis shaving his head before a test match, not wearing a hat and getting sunstroke.

Real Boys' Own stuff. You couldn't make it up.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I still remembered that I argued for Cutting when they debuted Patto alongside Starc. Such a taste in hindsight. Ben Cutting! What was I thinking?!?

Patto's gun if he stays fit, it's just a shame that fitness is not Pattinson's natural state.

Assuming Johnson and Harris are locks, who do you pick as third seamer? Patto or Cummins (suspend your disbelief and assume both are fit at the same time)?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Assuming Johnson and Harris are locks, who do you pick as third seamer? Patto or Cummins (suspend your disbelief and assume both are fit at the same time)?
Is this seriously a question? Don't think Cummins should be anywhere near the test side. He still hasn't played a FC game for NSW since 2011. Unless he plays a whole season for NSW and does really well he should be miles behind Siddle and Patto for the Ashes.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I still remembered that I argued for Cutting when they debuted Patto alongside Starc. Such a taste in hindsight. Ben Cutting! What was I thinking?!?

Patto's gun if he stays fit, it's just a shame that fitness is not Pattinson's natural state.

Cummins is such a natural talent. Him, Johnson and Harris is ideal imo. Can't wait to see Cummins fit again.

Riggins

International Captain
Is this seriously a question? Don't think Cummins should be anywhere near the test side. He still hasn't played a FC game for NSW since 2011. Unless he plays a whole season for NSW and does really well he should be miles behind Siddle and Patto for the Ashes.
No reason he should have to play a whole season. If he's fit and he's bowling better than the other guys, pick him.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
This is assuming he's fit and has some FC cricket behind him, not just "ooh Cummins sighting pick him".

I was trying to challenge Riggins calling fit Pattinson a lock by suggesting the one bowler who can hypothetically out-Patto Patto :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I agree with Riggins:

No reason he should have to play a whole season. If he's fit and he's bowling better than the other guys, pick him.
But in saying that, I don't even think Cummins is more 'in play' than even Starc right now, even assuming fitness.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I haven't even seen Cummins bowl since 2012, but I don't remember anything that struck me as greater potential than Pattinson back in 2011 other than that he was a couple years younger and slightly faster.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
On what basis? He's slightly faster?
Partly. Not sure what it is exactly. He seems to have that "hurry up" pace that makes good batsmen look vulnerable.

And that he's young and seems really quite clever.

No dis to Patto at all who I think will be a very good player who will probably be comparable to someone like Craig McDermott.

But I think Cummins will actually be a massive success or a massive failure (because of injuries).

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ah ok. Well it seems like you probably underrate Patto rather than overrate Cummins.

I think Patto's career is either going to be ATG or on Shane Bond levels where he's godly but hardly ever fit.