• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladeshi non-Tour Cricket Thread

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think there's anywhere to put news related the Bangladeshi domestic scene, A team tours, or general news, so here's a thread.

I can't find any evidence of it actually happening, but the BCB Facebook page has just released a Bangladesh A squad to tour the West Indies, presumably ahead of the full side's tour later this year:
Nasir Hossain (Captain), Naeem Islam (Vice Captain), Imrul Kayes, Shamsur Rahman, Muminul Hoque, Marshall Ayub, Abdul Majid, Mustafizur Rahman, Nurul Hasan, Shohag Gazi, Muktar Ali, Mohammad Elias, Robiul Islam, Shubhashis Roy, Taijul Islam​

I'm making assumptions regarding a few spellings, but that looks like a pretty strong A-team line-up by Bangladeshi standards. Ayub, Mominul, Nasir, Gazi, Naeem, Robiul are all relatively experienced these days, while Taijul is a left arm orthodox spinner coming off an 8-fer in the current Bangladesh Cricket League final. If he's actually any good in these matches, hopefully he can jump over the top of Abdur Razzak and commit the elbow-heavy dart merchant to the Test scrapheap. Also nice to see Elias Sunny (aka Mohammad Elias) is still in the thoughts of selectors.

They've also got the fast bowler Subashis Roy in there, who gives Chris Martin a run for his money in the batting stakes - he's got 83 runs in 47 innings at an average below 3, yet 33 of those runs came in one innings. 50 runs in 46 other attempts is impressively pathetic.

The omission of Shuvagata Hom from the squad seems strange though - Bangladesh aren't blessed with brilliant batsmen, yet he's averaging 40+ at FC level and can't get a crack. I thought he was always viewed as the next big hope, but the selectors seem to disagree.

Nasir captaining is gun; to be perfectly honest I was thinking he'd get the Test gig when Mushfiqr quit, only for Mushfiqr to un-quit. It's pretty much the only reason I'm making the thread, tbh, to be a massive fanboy about Nasir.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
That leads me in to a very trivial story, actually.

I was watching one of the Bangladesh matches in the World T20, and my mum was present in the room at the time. Having suffered through much of her adult life as a wife to a park cricketer and mother of me, she's picked up a thing or two about cricket - but is still utterly clueless half the time. So I ask her if she recognises the names of any of the Bangladeshi players.

"Shakib al-Hasan?"
"Nope"
"Mushfiqr Rahim?
"Nope"

I figured it was pointless after she didn't recognise Shakib, because who would be aware of Mahmudullah's existence, or be able to distinguish between a glut of similarly-named and similarly-mediocre fast bowlers if they didn't know who Shakib was. But I figured I'd try one last one:

"Nasir Hossain?"
"Oh I've heard that one - he's that English captain who commentates, right?"

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
The A tour of West Indies is definitely happening, they've just announced the Windies HPC squad for the two 4 day matches. The fixture list is:

May 26-29: 1st Four-day match at Windward Cricket Club
June 2-5: 2nd Four-day match at Kensington Oval
June 8: 1st 50-over match at Kensington Oval
June 10: 2nd 50-over match at Windward Cricket Club
June 12: 3rd 50-over match at Desmond Haynes Oval
June 14: 1st T20 at Kensington Oval
June 15: 2nd T20 at 3Ws Oval