• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overall World 11s from respectable Media sources

Singh Is King

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Found this great website which looks at top 10 most respectable media sources such as Wisden, Cricinfo etc and compares their World 11s.
Overall came out:
1) Hobbs
2) Gavaskar
3) Bradman
4) Tendulkar
5) Viv Richards
6) Sobers
7) Gilchrist
8) Imran Khan
9) Warne
10) Marshall
11) Mcgrath

Very interesting. Bradman was in all 10, with Tendulkar and Sobers featuring in 9.
One change I would make Lara for Viv Richards.

No way Lara ahead of Tendulkar. Comparing Lara to SRT -Exactly what would we base judgement on? Over-all average in Test cricket? Over-all average in ODI's? Number of centuries in Tests? Number of centuries in ODI's? Average and centuries against an unbelievable Australia team? Away averages?

Plus the fact Tendulkar is the most consistent player ever in terms of averages above 40 in every single country he played in. If he had a normal career i.e 23 years old till 35 years old he would of averaged a stupid number! 54 average over 200 tests, only Bradman I feel would average so high after so many Tests. Plus the insanse bowling attacks he faced, list of bowlers he regularly played against is mouth watering.
He was also a person who if he gets out in a home match the crowd goes home lol !! (Bradman praised Tendulkar saying he is the closest thing to himself, who are we to argue haha)

Hadlee was close in consideration, interesting debate over him and Imran Khan.
Warne v Murali was close as well. Do feel Muralis action costs him from being ahead of Warne in World 11s.
Not much mention of Waqar Younus anywhere even on this forum..why is that? Wouldnt say he is a world 11 player but not far off.

Only players playing at the minute who I believe have the possible potential to make World 11s 1 day are Kohli and Steyn

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mention Waqar a lot. I loved watching Waqar at his best, just that peak wasn't long enough really. Amazing bowler with those toe crushing late inswinging yorkers though. Delightful to watch.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Waqar is my favourite bowler ever and I got into cricket because of him. He also happens to be Usain Bolt's favourite cricketer as well. :cool:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
One change I would make Lara for Viv Richards.

No way Lara ahead of Tendulkar. Comparing Lara to SRT -Exactly what would we base judgement on? Over-all average in Test cricket? Over-all average in ODI's? Number of centuries in Tests? Number of centuries in ODI's? Average and centuries against an unbelievable Australia team? Away averages?
Exactly what would we base judgment on to select Lara over Richards..

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't know which media sources were mentioned, but the ones I was able to locate wouldn't give that final XI even with the ones from Hughes and Crowe removed.

CricketWeb
Hobbs, Hutton, Bradman, Richards, Tendulkar, Sobers, Gilchrist, Imran, Marshall, Warne, McGrath

Geoff Armstrong
Grace, Hobbs, Bradman, Tendulkar, Pollock, Sobers, Gilchrist, Imran, Marshall, Warne, Barnes

Cricinfo
Hutton, Hobbs, Bradman, Tendulkar, Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist, Marshall, Akram, Warne, Lillee

Wisden
Grace, Hobbs, Bradman, Tendulkar, Richards, Sobers, Knott, Akram, Warne, Marshall, Barnes

Geoffrey Boycott
Hobbs, Hutton, Bradman, Headley, Richards, Sobers, Knott, Marshall, Warne, Lillee, Barnes

Benaud
Hobbs, Gavaskar, Bradman, Richards, Tendulkar, Sobers, Imran, Gilchrist, Warne, Lillee, Barnes

Christopher Martin-Jenkins
Grace, Hobbs, Bradman, Richards, Hammond, Sobers, Gilchrist, Marshall, Warne, Barnes, McGrath

Courier-Mail
Hobbs, Gavaskar, Bradman, Richards, Tendulkar, Sobers, Gilchrist, Akram, Marshall, Warne, Lillee

Reuters
Hobbs, Gavaskar, Bradman, Headley, Grace, Sobers, Imran, Knott, Warne, Lillee, Barnes

Kim Hughes
Hobbs, Trumper, Bradman, Richards, Hammond, Sobers, Gilchrist, Akram, Marshall, Warne, Lillee

Martin Crowe
Hobbs, Gavaskar, Bradman, Richards, Tendulkar, Sobers, Gilchrist, Akram, Warne, Marshall, Lillee

Third Man Cricket
Gavaskar, Hobbs, Bradman, Tendulkar, Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist, Akram, Warne, Marshall, McGrath

watson

Banned
John Snow's team probably has the most astute bowling attack that I've seen;

01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Barry Richards
03. Donald Bradman
04. Viv Richards
05. Graeme Pollock
06. Garfield Sobers
07. Alan Knott
08. Richard Hadlee
09. Shane Warne