• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darren Sammy to be replaced as West Indies test captain

BeeGee

International Captain
You couldn't find a player less suited to be a test captain, imo.

Imbecilic **** like his note to Viv is not worthy of a professional player, let alone a test captain.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
You couldn't find a player less suited to be a test captain, imo.

Imbecilic **** like his note to Viv is not worthy of a professional player, let alone a test captain.
I totally understand why people think this about him, his record is against him, but yet you also have to consider the facts:

- He was one of our most decorated leaders at youth level having lead successful T & T age group teams and the most successful West Indies Under 15 and Under 19 teams in our history.
- He is noted as a fine tactician, particularly when it comes to his understanding of spin bowling.
- He is respected by his fellow players, has always been popular with both senior and younger members of the team and has never got into obvious spats with team mates.
- He makes the test team on merit and has been our second best batsman over the last 2 years, only behind Shiv. His average of 45 over that period puts him right up there with all the other international keepers and indeed above most of them.

As for the Viv incident, it really was a stupid thing to do. But most people don't understand that Viv had been constantly getting at Ramdin in the media over a significant period of time to try and promote his fellow Antiguan Devon Thomas, who Viv very much likes. Unfortunately with West Indian cricket, it is hardly ever as cut and dried as it seems. Viv was an absolute legend as a cricketer, but as a pundit he is more than a little biased and should not be above criticism. I just wish Ramdin had chosen a different medium to point this out. Oh well, I really hope he learned his lesson from that.

He is far, far more worthy of being a Test match captain than Sammy was. Ramdin earned his position on merit, Sammy was given his appointment by St Lucian cronyism, something many cricket lovers conveniently forget. Like him or not, Ramdin is the correct appointment at this time.

Beamer

what I don't like about Ramdin has nothing to do with that other stuff; the sign to Viv was so utterly juvenile and silly, but then he's a sports player so I don't really care about him being a dick. Well, I do, he's a dick but that doesn't necessarily affect how he plays.

He's just an extremely lazy wicket keeper. He never runs up to the stumps when there's a chance of a run out. Numerous times I've seen potential runouts where he could've got up to the stumps but just resigned himself to hoping for a direct hit. He barely moves towards leg side wides except for futile dives at the last second (as opposed to actually moving towards the line of the ball and then diving). He just doesn't make an effort.
I hear what you're saying but he is also as good as it gets when it comes to keeping to the spinners. I mean absolutely outstanding. His keeping to Narine in the World T20 was breathtaking at times. Given how important spin is going to be to our attack moving forward, this is a tremendous point in his favour.

Beamer

Darren Sammy has now retired from Test cricket

Wow, I wasn't expecting that!

Thanks for the service Darren, you are a classy guy! I really didn't like the way he was promoted to the captaincy without coming close to earning it but he always gave 100% and as a man I really respect him. I hope he continues to perform well for us in T20 and perhaps ODI cricket.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I think many WI fans, including myself are breathing a sigh of relief at this good news..it's be LONG overdue. Now we have an opportunity to finally build a proper bowling unit with all members being able to contribute to the wickets tally instead of being held back by a guy who clearly didn't deserve his place in the side.

Roach and Narine are certainties id Kemar is fit, with Taylor and Benn perhaps joining them athough a people have mentioned Holder really needs to be promoted now because he's without doubt our best pace prospect since Roach.

The 5th bowler option is a tricky one...word is Darren Bravo might not play due to his "personal problems" (speculation suggests it's relationship problems) so with that in mind i think Carter might get a chance. Though i wouldn't be adverse to seeing young Jermain Blackwood make his debut tbh because that kid is something special i think...he bowls off-spin too.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A tad surprised at the toy throwing from Sammy. He's pretty young to be giving tests away altogether.

Not a fan of keepers as captains as a rule, Dhoni's success notwithstanding, would've thought Bravo jr was the best placed for a long run with the armband.

Beamer

I wager fans from other test nations who are sad about this news wouldn't have put up with a cricketer as downright mediocre as Sammy captaining their side, no matter what a good bloke he is. If it was the side you supported that had to put up with basically playing with 10 men for 3 years you'd feel differently. Whilst I respect Sammy as a guy, I am quite frankly delighted that this era of West Indies cricket, highlighted by St Lucian cronyism, is now over and we can select our best XI.

Anyway, in other news, they have announced the A team to play against Bangladesh which start just before the New Zealand Tests. The squad is:

Sunil Ambris, Ronsford Beaton, Devendra Bishoo, Jermaine Blackwood, Carlos Brathwaite, Kraigg Brathwaite, Jonathan Carter, Sheldon Cottrell, Miguel Cummins, Assad Fudadin, Leon Johnson, Ashley Nurse, Chadwick Walton

I'm not sure what indicators that gives us as to the squad for the 1st test against New Zealand but I'd guess that Kraigg Braithwaite being selected for this fixture might mean that the selectors have gone with Powell to open with Gayle. Jonathan Carter and Leon Johnson are in this squad so clearly they are in the selectors minds for that number 6 slot. Ashley Nurse and Bishoo are both in this squad so can't be a million miles away from the test squad either. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the selectors have come up with.

Beamer

I think many WI fans, including myself are breathing a sigh of relief at this good news..it's be LONG overdue. Now we have an opportunity to finally build a proper bowling unit with all members being able to contribute to the wickets tally instead of being held back by a guy who clearly didn't deserve his place in the side.
WW, now that all the domestic cricket is over, we know our captain and they have named the A side, what do you think the official 13 man squad will be for the first test at Sabina park? Lets see if anyone thinks similarly to our boneheaded selectors (I severely doubt it but lets give it a go!)

Here's my final guess:

1) Kieron Powell
2) Chris Gayle
3) Kirk Edwards
4) Marlon Samuels
5) Shivnarine Chanderpaul
6) Dwayne Bravo
7) Denesh Ramdin (C, WK)
8) Jerome Taylor
9) Sulieman Benn
10) Sunil Narine
11) Kemar Roach
12) Kraigg Braithwaite
13) Kenroy Peters

Notes:

- Like you said, there are strong rumours going around that Darren Bravo is still not mentally ready to return to test cricket.
- I personally wouldn't pick Dwayne Bravo yet as he has been injured but Ramdin's captaincy interview strongly hinted that he will be back to allow them to regularly play 2 spinners.
- I think Jason Holder's lack of cricket and sitting on the bench at IPL while Kenroy Peters wreaked havoc in our domestic competition will unfortunately count against him. If Roach isn't fit, Holder might well get a place in the squad.
- I really like Jonathan Carter but our selectors are conservative and I really doubt they will pick him unless he scores lots for the A team. Same thing for Leon Johnson and Jerrmaine Blackwood, who is the best young right handed batsman I have seen in the Caribbean since Sarwan.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Beamer said:
Whilst I respect Sammy as a guy, I am quite frankly delighted that this era of West Indies cricket, highlighted by St Lucian cronyism, is now over and we can select our best XI..
There were valid reasons to appoint him and valid reasons to retain him for so long. I have no idea about the inner politics of Windies cricket, but this seems a little unfair.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I find it sad that WI pace stocks and pitch conditions have declined to such a degree that they are seriously contemplating playing 2 spinners

What makes it even worse is that Narine and Benn are hardly world beaters

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
There were valid reasons to appoint him and valid reasons to retain him for so long. I have no idea about the inner politics of Windies cricket, but this seems a little unfair.
Said it a while back that Sammy deserves a lot of credit for improving the Windies over the past few years. Still feel the same now.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I find it sad that WI pace stocks and pitch conditions have declined to such a degree that they are seriously contemplating playing 2 spinners

They'll be more than a handful in helpful conditions. It's a spinning attack on par with India's, IMO. Which is not as good as it used to be, but still enough to take out visiting teams who aren't good players of spin.

Beamer

This is precisely what I mean, people who aren't aware of the circumstances that led to Sammy being captain are the ones who are bemoaning his exit. Arguments for his appointment? Really?

Up until 2009/10 Sammy was a bit part player in the West Indies set up and was only played in helpful conditions in test cricket and occasionally in ODI's. This was his level, where he could nibble the ball about and prove a useful 4th seamer and bash a few lower order runs. Hardly the likely recipe for a West Indies captain.

He came to prominence as a potential leader when the senior players went on strike. Sammy broke ranks and therefore got to play tests against Bangladesh as Floyd Reifers deputy. That series was a massive struggle for the WICB to find 15 players willing to break ranks and take part. Sammy saw his opportunity and those in charge never forgot his loyalty. Those in charge just happened to be a St Lucian president and CEO.

Chris Gayle was ousted as captain and due to pay disputes (which it has to be noted the WICB lost arbitration over 7 times) Dwayne Bravo wasn't able to sign a contract so the leadership instructed the selectors not to consider him for the captaincy. Denesh Ramdin was struggling for form and this stage and was dropped so wasn't considered either. This left the obvious and only realistic choice as Ramnaresh Sarrwan, a World class batsman who was in decent form that year. But he was mysteriously refused a contract on medical grounds and the WICB told the selectors he couldn't be considered either.

Basically the WICB leadership engineered it so that Darren Sammy was the only option, even though he hardly ever made the team on merit. Sammy was rewarded for breaking ranks during the strike and for his nationality. Yes he was a good man and a decent leader but a) the circumstances of his appointment stank and b) he was never a good enough cricketer to command a definite starting place in our test xi. Sammy was loved by those from the Windward and Leeward Islands who feel they have been left out of leadership roles and selections in the past and also by those who grew tired of big ego players like Gayle, Bravo and Sarwan. But his opportunism and the behaviour of the WICB made him unpopular almost everywhere else. Over time that cooled and fans learned to accept him but recent results and the further deterioration of Sammy's own performances brought all these memories back to the forefront. His sacking has resulted in an outpouring of optimism on caribbeancricket.com, which is unsurprising really.

I hope that at least explains why Sammy was such a divisive figure for those of you who are unaware of the politics involved in West Indies cricket. Personally, I like the guy and think he is one of the nicest men in cricket. However, he was not nearly good enough as a cricketer to be West Indies captain and I am relieved he will no longer be in our test lineup.

Beamer

I'm pretty sure Narine will be World Class in tests if he's given a run and Benn is good in home conditions. Also Shillingford is a World class pelter when he is allowed to play. Bishoo is a pretty damn good spinner too tbh. So when compared to our pace options, playing two spinners becomes the only feasible option.

I do agree with you though, I long for the day when our pitches are quicker and the ball comes onto the bat. Their deterioration is actually the most important factor in our decline IMHO and it is too often overlooked. Talent is still there in droves as we show every year in Under 19, it's just not developed as they play on awful pitches and until recently had no development path or plan.