• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's strike bowler options

Who's England's best strike bowler option?

• Gough

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Caddick

• Anderson

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Harmison

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Hoggard

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Tudor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flintoff

• Kirtley

• Bicknell

• Silverwood

• Peter Martin

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • ???

• Total voters

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
From England's strike bowler options, I would like to know whom you would back to take the bulk of the 20 wickets for less needed to win a Test match, since at least two bowlers are needed to take the bulk of the wickets, while the others just keep a tight line and length. Example-

LEAD BOWLERS:
Gough
Caddick

SUPPORT BOWLERS:
Flintoff
Silverwood
Giles
Collingwood/Clarke/A McGrath

The strike bowler options are provided in the poll. It'ws a bit tough voting for two, but then the best 2 should lead the attack and go for the wickets, while the others just provide support.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
For mine, it's Andy Caddick.

Despite his age, he's still the best bowler in England by a distance IMO.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
For mine, it's Andy Caddick.

Despite his age, he's still the best bowler in England by a distance IMO.
The problem is that he has retired from ODI cricket, which leaves one option missing. Just as it is with Gough and Tests. If they can be convinced out of retirement, like Srinath, this would help the team's chances a lot more. Besides, they're not that great against the Australians, or in the subcontinent or the slow West Indian pitches, are they? One just has to ask Ian Chappell and Ian Botham, they're not so keen on bringing him back- Botham wants a fresh, new team. Otherwise, they're the best options available.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
Age this, age that - it's a load of cadswallop.

If he is still the best bowler in the country, you have to pick him.

None of the youngsters have done anything yet to knock him of his perch - he is still a level above.

As for his record against Australia, look up his stats - you will be suprised.

Regarding ODI cricket - your speaking of taking 20 wickets, so I assumed you meant Tests.

As for Botham, it's all well and good he wants a young team, but they still need an experianced head to learn the ropes of international cricket - this has been noticed with Anderson in particluar - when he leads the attack he is in trouble.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
This is so two years ago.

Whereas Caddick might get back to the highest level, it remains doubtful - he is still recovering following back surgery. Gough is finished - he retired from test cricket last year - so where does that lead your top two?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Regarding ODI cricket - your speaking of taking 20 wickets, so I assumed you meant Tests.
It would help a lot in ODI's as well. Actually, 10 wickets in an innings for less, a lot less, both in Tests and ODI's. Not really his fault that the English lost that match in the World Cup in PE. Who asked Nasser to bring Anderson back at that time?

As for Botham, it's all well and good he wants a young team, but they still need an experianced head to learn the ropes of international cricket - this has been noticed with Anderson in particluar - when he leads the attack he is in trouble.
Having a few experienced bowlers alongside the younger bowlers might help them. A bowling coach may aso be needed.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think Gough and Caddick's days are over now, and the baton must pass to a new generation.

Harmison and Jones as strike men with Anderson and Flintoff as back-up is the way I see it.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Ideally, I would have Gough and Caddick leading the attack, then Hoggard (or Harmison) to follow, then Flintoff, then Croft. Gough and Caddick would get the bulk of the wickets, while the others support them.

Practically, I'd have Gough or Caddick, with Hoggard or Anderson or even Tudor, as lead bowlers, with Harmison and flintoff for support, then a spinner, if needed. Even Craig White can be used as a strike bowler, since he's a more accomplished bowler in Tests- he has at least 1 5-wicket haul, though again, he's been a disappointment against the Australians and on flat wickets.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Arjun said:
Ideally, I would have Gough and Caddick leading the attack, then Hoggard (or Harmison) to follow, then Flintoff, then Croft. Gough and Caddick would get the bulk of the wickets, while the others support them.

Practically, I'd have Gough or Caddick, with Hoggard or Anderson or even Tudor, as lead bowlers, with Harmison and flintoff for support, then a spinner, if needed. Even Craig White can be used as a strike bowler, since he's a more accomplished bowler in Tests- he has at least 1 5-wicket haul, though again, he's been a disappointment against the Australians and on flat wickets.
How many people have to say 'Gough and Caddick will not play test cricket again' before it sinks in? Not only that, Craig White only plays as a batsman for Yorkshire. His bowling days are over too.

Oh, all right. I'll have Frank Tyson and Fred Trueman then.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fred at 70 can bowl better now, off three paces, than that Lillee ever could!
At least that's what he'll have you believe.
Gough's retirement from Tests was IMO premature and though I highly doubt it will be reversed I still hope.
I certainly hope Caddick will play Tests again and I certainly hope Chalky will bowl again.
I hope none of them ever play an ODI again because I am the first to say who cares about age, pick your best players where Tests are concerned, but for ODIs there is a definate target - the next World Cup, 2007 in this case. IMO there's no point picking players now who logic suggests are not going to be playing then.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
How many people have to say 'Gough and Caddick will not play test cricket again' before it sinks in?
More than thoe number of those who say 'They will'. This is quite a debatable subject, since we already have quite a few who want them, and saome fans who don't. Opinions keep varying.

Oh, all right. I'll have Frank Tyson and Fred Trueman then.
Why not? If they want gough and Caddick back, this is also worth a try, isn't it? If you want to go in for someone old, why not the beest around? Anyway, knowing England, that is also likely.

Pat Symcox once said that the ideal team to face the South Africans, after the Lord's Test, should include Boycott, Gooch, Gower, Trueman, Botham and Willis.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gooch and Gower would IMO still be far better than plenty of the useless batsmen who've been picked for international cricket recently, if they got themselves back into some sort of shape.
I don't quite know about Boycott, especially after his recent illness, but I think we can fairly safely say that Bob and Beefy's knees are no longer up to the strain and there's nothing we can do to reverse that!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Gough's retirement from Tests was IMO premature
He was brought back too early IMO, and had he had a couple of months more, we might have seen him back somewhere near his best.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What I dont understand is that you have wirtten 20 wickets, but put Gough in. he has retired and cannot be considered. Caddick can be considered, and so can White (although it would be silly to pick them becuase it pretty obviuos they wont play agin :( ).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Arjun said:
.Even Craig White . . . he's been a disappointment against the Australians and on flat wickets.
He was not a dissappointment in the last tour fo Australia. he was Englands best bowler (no bias, ask anyone who ectually rememebrs the series and knows what they are talking about)

Andre

International Regular
Prince EWS said:
He was not a dissappointment in the last tour fo Australia. he was Englands best bowler (no bias, ask anyone who ectually rememebrs the series and knows what they are talking about)
Most certainly was until his injury. But now he can't bowl, he's finished...

Andre

International Regular
Arjun said:
Even Craig White can be used as a strike bowler, since he's a more accomplished bowler in Tests- he has at least 1 5-wicket haul, though again, he's been a disappointment against the Australians and on flat wickets.
WEll, he's not exactly part of an exclusive club then is he?!?!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually, when I read this pre-Ashes article in a local magazine, it said that Andrew Flintoff's replacement was Craig White, who, against the Australians, had a batting average of 7 and a bowling average of 189, though both improved after the series. He did have a good series against the West Indies, when they last came to England, so that might be a hint for the selectors. Disappointing, that he does not bowl anymore, since he's far better than a rather well-built all-rounder, as a bowler.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Whitw was Englands second best player in that series. You could even say they were lucky Flintoff was injurred.

White used to bowl off spin. He did for a long, long time and it wouldnt surprise me onc bit if he started bowling offies again. It would be interesting to see how he would go, although I doubt England would pick him again at this stage of his career, especially bowling off spin, unless he batted and bowled supurbly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
He was brought back too early IMO, and had he had a couple of months more, we might have seen him back somewhere near his best.
My thoughts exactly!