• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official** New Zealand in England

Craig

World Traveller
This is not the Official tour thread but a thread to discuss the likely results, predictations etc.

I predicate a 2-1 result to either side as IMO both sides are pretty even.

This would be the likely tour squad (one I would pick): Richardson, Fulton, Papps, Fleming, Styris, McMillan, Astle (if fit - then Lou Vincent or Richard Jones), McIntosh, Cairns, Oram, McCullum (back up 'keeper), Hart, Vettori, Hart, Tuffey, Bond (if fit).

The only certaines are: Richardson, Fleming, McMillan, Styris, Astle (if fit), Cairns, Oram, Hart, Vettori, Tuffey, Bond (if fit).

IMO Hart is probably even to Read in keeping ability and in batting ability, but superior to Jones perhaps 'keeping ability but not in batting.

If there is any seam movement, Tuffey will have Trescothick for dinner.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Hart is not necessarily a definite for the England tour. He'll need to show some form with the bat against South Africa if he wants to stay ahead of McCullum.

Otherwise I agree, on current form, that would be the squad I would take..and then add Jesse Ryder for the ODI's.

Craig

World Traveller
Actually Butler would be in there over the second Hart. Purely a typo then Matt Hart.

Craig

World Traveller
About 14.

Lou Vincent mustnt play for NZ again for the rest of the season, he must prove himself for Auckland this summer.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
My odi squad will be

Astle,Cumming,Fleming,Marshall,Styris,McMillan,Cairns,Oram,
Sinclair,Vettori,McCullum,Wilson,Bond,Tuffey,Mils.

Craig

World Traveller
England squad (these are the only certainies barring injury):

ME Trescothick, MP Vaughan (c), MA Butcher, N Hussain, GP Thorpe, A Flintoff (Hopefully Lara will prove what a over-rated Test cricketer he is), AF Giles (Because the selectors love him and Lara will probably have him for dinner).

Steve Harmison and Simon Jones might play as well.

Kent

State 12th Man
Good NZ squad, Craig. I see you'd drop Vincent for the SA series. Replaced by Papps or McIntosh?

I thought it could be 17 for an England tour, so I might add Kyle Mills as a swing bowling option if that's the case. I'd also hold off on Fulton's place until after the Sri Lankan 'A' series. The reason being I could see Hamish Marshall coping well with a one-off test if Astle was injured or McMillan gets the yips, whereas Fulton feels like a slightly more complicated swap.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
That's a BIG if for all 3 Tests, of course...
We might be lucky enough to get it in one, possibly even two.
Anyway, that goes without saying - you just need to look at the Third Test, first-innings in Auckland. Never, ever seen Trescothick dismissed like that, though he had almost equal trouble with all the bowlers that series.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Re: New Zealand in England disussion thread

Craig said:
And if there isn't, Trescothick will have Tuffey, and the rest, for dinner.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not neccesarily.
If Bond and Tuffey bowl with the accuracy they have sometimes shown, Trescothick will likely play a poor stroke that results in his dismissal before the opening burst is out.
South Africa did that reasonably well last summer.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Re: Re: New Zealand in England disussion thread

halsey said:
We also have a strike bowler who will be fit by then with the name of BOND.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Re: Re: Re: New Zealand in England disussion thread

southern man said:
We also have a strike bowler who will be fit by then with the name of BOND.
One hopes that he will be fit and will be a strike bowler. It would be a shame if another promising bowler goes down to injury.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My NZ Squad

Tests

Mark Richardson
Richard Jones
Stephen Fleming
Scott Styris
Nathan Astle
Craig McMillan
Hamish Marshall
Chris Cairns
Jacob Oram
Brendon McCullum
Robbie Hart
Kyle Mills
Daniel Vettori
Daryl Tuffey
Shane Bond
Ian Butler

One Day Internations

Craig Cumming
Stephen Fleming
Lou Vincent / Chris Nevin
Hamish Marshall
Scott Styris
Nathan Astle
Craig McMillan
Chris Cairns
Jacob Oram
Brendon McCullum
Daniel Vettori
Kyle Mills
Matthew Walker
Daryl Tuffey
Shand Bond

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I presume A Walker is Matthew Walker?..i'd agree with you there, I think he's prooving at domestic level that he can do well with both bat & ball.

But I don't want to see Richard Jones going to England...he's yet another grafter from NZ who relies on discipline more than natural talent. Both Papps & McIntosh have natural talent with the bat & have enough experience now to take on an important tour like England.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Indeed I think I do mean Matthew Walker (the one that went to Pak). I couldnt remember his first name for the life of me, but I thought it started with A, but now the more I think about it Matthew sounds right.

There is nothing wrong with relying on discipline and being a grafter. They need someone like this with Fleming, Styris and McMillan in their middle order.....

Craig

World Traveller
Re: Re: New Zealand in England disussion thread

halsey said:
I'm not quite sure about that.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Tuffey is still likely to go for tap because he bowls a predictable line & length...but he's also matured as a bowler, and recently he's been able to adapt to the situation & have the last laugh with the batsman.