• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting Skills

uvelocity

International Coach
so you are saying to time the ball with good strock, it is necessary to have foam? plz explain

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
so you are saying to time the ball with good strock, it is necessary to have foam? plz explain
I have been playing cricket for last 7 years and I have an opinion that foam always matters everywhere in timing, stroke and middling. But that's a different aspect, not an ability.

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
If I strock too hard I end up with a sticky wicket.
That is why the only strike is the least important and sometimes the incredibly playing batsman like Chris Gayle just forget the other two skills and depend on it which makes them return to the pavilion.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I have been playing cricket for last 7 years and I have an opinion that foam always matters everywhere in timing, stroke and middling. But that's a different aspect, not an ability.
Ah, so ability is different to timing, strock and middling? Makes sense. I like the way you really put thought in to your cricket.

Have you thought about writing a cricket book? I've met Gideon Haigh a few times, I'd be happy to introduce you to him.

And also, you should take Lokomotiv under your wing. You have much to teach, and he is eager to learn.

Good luck :)

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
Science of Skills

Batting skills are of two types - the initial skills and the final abilities.

Initial skills are the embryonic skills which don't matter while rating a batsman. For example, the skills related to Technique, Fitness, Decision power etc. These skills are discussed at the largest rate and people develop perceptions about different batsmen while looking at these. Its a batter's job to execute these skills into final abilities.

Final abilities deal with the effect of a batsman on the world, environment and sorroundings of cricket. Infact, the initial skills react like reactants to form products.

These abilities do matter as they concern the actual phenomenon of cricket.

The ultimate and final purpose of all the struggle of a team from beginning to end has only *one* purpose - to win. And the players have to play their role. And only the products do matter, and not the reactants. The result of ball faced, does matter and not that how the ball was faced.

Among the most effective are these skills, whom one may call a "constitutions of Batsman's perfection."

1. Selflessness.
One may object on its place in "skills" as it seams to be more like a "quality" than a skill, but the answer to the objection might be: "Quality", the opposite of "Quantity" tells the presence of a character and the character's definition has one thing common with skills - which is the determination of something and so is selflessness.

Examples of great selfless player which my broken sense could find... are Ricky Ponting, Amla, Devilliers, Dravid, Sanga, Kohli, Inzmam, Miandad, Muhammad Yousaf etc.

2. Discipline

More important than anything else - discipline is the essential necessity of the acievement of perfection for a batsman. It means regulation in batting and it was found in Brian Lara more than anyone else.

3. Consistency

Consistency is of 2 types - short term and long term. And in general, it means "long term consistency"
While there is also some kind of instantaneous consistency - the consistency of a batsman at any instant - and that is at its best in Shahid Afridi.

Otherwise, the batsmen who have long term inconsistecy have the best of short term consistency. Both types are inversely proportional to each other. And they can be seen in any player - and every player has a level.

Two players, who has equal amounts of both are sachin tendulker And Ab Deviliiers.

For short term of it, resistence to pressure is required. Like Chris Gayle has.
And long term of it requires acceptance of all challenges. Like Ponting did.

4. Distinction

Perfection is not possible witbout distinction i.e. every perfect batsman has some distinct quality.

5. Influence

And being influential is the main thing.

Objection: But nobody is perfect because perfection is not possible.

Answer: absolute perfectionis really not possible but here, we have a different criteria for perfection.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
inzy selfless enough to mercifully sacrifice his partner's wickets in runouts for the greater good of the viewing public

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Science of Skills

Batting skills are of two types - the initial skills and the final abilities.

Initial skills are the embryonic skills which don't matter while rating a batsman. For example, the skills related to Technique, Fitness, Decision power etc. These skills are discussed at the largest rate and people develop perceptions about different batsmen while looking at these. Its a batter's job to execute these skills into final abilities.

Final abilities deal with the effect of a batsman on the world, environment and sorroundings of cricket. Infact, the initial skills react like reactants to form products.

These abilities do matter as they concern the actual phenomenon of cricket.

The ultimate and final purpose of all the struggle of a team from beginning to end has only *one* purpose - to win. And the players have to play their role. And only the products do matter, and not the reactants. The result of ball faced, does matter and not that how the ball was faced.

Among the most effective are these skills, whom one may call a "constitutions of Batsman's perfection."

1. Selflessness.
One may object on its place in "skills" as it seams to be more like a "quality" than a skill, but the answer to the objection might be: "Quality", the opposite of "Quantity" tells the presence of a character and the character's definition has one thing common with skills - which is the determination of something and so is selflessness.

Examples of great selfless player which my broken sense could find... are Ricky Ponting, Amla, Devilliers, Dravid, Sanga, Kohli, Inzmam, Miandad, Muhammad Yousaf etc.

2. Discipline

More important than anything else - discipline is the essential necessity of the acievement of perfection for a batsman. It means regulation in batting and it was found in Brian Lara more than anyone else.

3. Consistency

Consistency is of 2 types - short term and long term. And in general, it means "long term consistency"
While there is also some kind of instantaneous consistency - the consistency of a batsman at any instant - and that is at its best in Shahid Afridi.

Otherwise, the batsmen who have long term inconsistecy have the best of short term consistency. Both types are inversely proportional to each other. And they can be seen in any player - and every player has a level.

Two players, who has equal amounts of both are sachin tendulker And Ab Deviliiers.

For short term of it, resistence to pressure is required. Like Chris Gayle has.
And long term of it requires acceptance of all challenges. Like Ponting did.

4. Distinction

Perfection is not possible witbout distinction i.e. every perfect batsman has some distinct quality.

5. Influence

And being influential is the main thing.

Objection: But nobody is perfect because perfection is not possible.

Answer: absolute perfectionis really not possible but here, we have a different criteria for perfection.