• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1970-1990 v 1990-2010

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
Was just discussing with my friends that if we make the best elevens from 1970-1990 and 1990-2010, who do you guys will win?

I was wondering if we start off with making the teams first and then decide or everyone selects their own starting eleven?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1970-1990
1. Gavaskar
2. Greenidge
3. Richards
4. Chappell
5. Border
6. Botham
7. Knott
8. Marshall
9. Lillee
10. Underwood
11. Holding

1990-2010
1. Hayden
2. Sehwag
3. Ponting
4. Tendulkar
5. Lara
6. Kallis
7. Gilchrist
8. Akram
9. Warne
10. Muralitharan
11. McGrath

No real research/deep thought going into those XIs, but on the surface at least both seem pretty strong. Not much splitting them.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
This is mine.

70-80s.

1. Sunil Gavaskar.
2. Gordon Greenidge.
3. Vivian Richards.
4. Greg Chappell.
5. Alan Border.
6. Imran Khan.
7. Alan Knott.
8. Richard Hadlee/Dennis Lillee.
9. Malcolm Marshall.
10. Michael Holding.
11. Derek Underwood.

90-10s.

1. Matthew Hayden.
2. Graeme Smith.
3. Ricky Ponting.
4. Sachin Tendulkar.
5. Brian Lara.
6. Jacques Kallis/Steve Waugh.
7. Adam Gilchrist.
8. Wasim Akram.
9. Shane Warne.
10. Curtley Ambrose.
11. Glenn McGrath.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1970-90

Richards
Gavaskar
Richards
Pollock
Chappell
Border
Knott
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Qadir

1990-2010

Dravid/Hayden
Kallis
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Waugh
Gilchrist
Akram
Warne
McGrath
Ambrose

Nothing in the bowling, though Kallis is a big plus. Nothing in the batting either. It may all actually come down to Gilchrist :laugh:

Howe_zat

Audio File
My first thought was that the difference in the quality spinner would pretty much always make me favour the newer lot. Then people picked Smith, and oh dear

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You really reckon Qadir was as good as Warne?
No, no, it's not that. But the three pacers of 70-90 I think are a tad (just the merest tad) better than those from 90-10. However, I do think that 90-10 have the better overall bowling attack, with Warne and Kallis tipping them over the edge. But I think the single biggest difference is probably Gilchrist. I also think 70-90 have slightly better batting.

Gowza

U19 12th Man
Gilcrhist and the spinner are the biggest difference, the 70s-90s pacers are slightly better but there is a bigger gap between the spinners and the keepers batting.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Gavaskar, Boycott, Richards, Chapple, Border, Botham, Imran, Knott, Marshall, Lillee, Underwood

Sehwag, Dravid, Ponting, Tendulkar, Kallis, Lara, Gilchrist, Warne, Waqar, Ambrose, McGrath

Lara/Gilchrist vs Botham/Imran in the middle order is pretty one sided. Thinking Beefy as a batting allrounder doesn't really work, maybe Grieg would be better for that role.

Hadlee stiff.

smash84

The Tiger King
Perhaps the 70-90 lot should just using the WI strategy of using all pacers. It might serve them better. Marshall, Holding, Imran, Hadlee were not too shabby on spinning tracks either

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
My first thought was that the difference in the quality spinner would pretty much always make me favour the newer lot. Then people picked Smith, and oh dear
Yeah, they're picking the wrong Smith.

1. SPD Smith
2. Steven Smith
3. Steve Smith
4. The People's Champ
5. TPC
6. Future Australian Captain *
7. ICC #12 Ranked Test Batsman
8. Ferret Face +
9. Melty Ferret Face
10. Smitteh
11. NSW Sheffield Shield Winning Captain

12. Blonde Legspinner in the Post-Warne Era

Unbeatable XI.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Would 11 Steve Smiths beat 11 Shane Warnes in a test match?

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, they're picking the wrong Smith.

1. SPD Smith
2. Steven Smith
3. Steve Smith
4. The People's Champ
5. TPC
6. Future Australian Captain *
7. ICC #12 Ranked Test Batsman
8. Ferret Face +
9. Melty Ferret Face