• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia New Test Number One

G.I.Joe

International Coach
India going down to 5th is not a surprise because they had a really good 2010 in terms of test results. A year from how India will automatically jump up once their defeats in ENG/AUS either get removed or reduced in terms of importance. Just gotta hope we compete in the coming ENG/AUS tours and not get blanked again because otherwise its not gonna matter in any case lol.
I don't think the margin of loss matters. IIRC the rankings treat 4-0 and 1-0 as equivalent. We'd need to at least draw the series to effect a change.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
The official rating system is kind of stupid.. there are no tests played and all of a sudden the #1 changes cos they remove some old tests just like that.. it should be gradual..

My system had Australia edging out South Africa right after that series:
cricrate | Current Test Team Rankings

In my obviously unbiased opinion, my system is way better :)

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think the margin of loss matters. IIRC the rankings treat 4-0 and 1-0 as equivalent. We'd need to at least draw the series to effect a change.
Are you sure about that? Somehow that doesn't quite seem right to me, because when India lost all those matches their rankings too a serious hit in terms of the number of points they lost. So if they were to eventually devalue all those 8 losses next year (depending on what the exact cut off dates are which I'm not sure off) then they should in theory gain back a fair few points as a result of that.

If the margin of the loss truly doesn't matter than that's a bit odd in my view given that each test match (win or loss) affects the increase or decrease in individual team ranking points.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Are you sure about that? Somehow that doesn't quite seem right to me, because when India lost all those matches their rankings too a serious hit in terms of the number of points they lost. So if they were to eventually devalue all those 8 losses next year (depending on what the exact cut off dates are which I'm not sure off) then they should in theory gain back a fair few points as a result of that.

If the margin of the loss truly doesn't matter than that's a bit odd in my view given that each test match (win or loss) affects the increase or decrease in individual team ranking points.
I may have been talking out of my ass.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We apologise for any inconvenience caused by the break in transmission. Normal service has resumed.

Top_Cat

Reckon they won't remain there for long with Marsh and MWaugh now influential in selection. Expect a lot more hit-and-hope selections on potential and guys backed heavily because they're making the right noises in the nets and 'all they need is one good knock'. Bacchus and Lehmann have never really seen eye-to-eye so this is potentially really bad news.

Last edited:

Burgey

Won it back the only valid* way - beating the incumbents on their home soil.

*valid because India doesn't win away, and therefore can never be number one under that system.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So weird that all these headlines are coming now, literally thought it was official after they beat SA in the third test. Didn't know it wasn't official until months later.

Won it back the only valid* way - beating the incumbents on their home soil.

*valid because India doesn't win away, and therefore can never be number one under that system.
beat England boyo

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I need to see what happens in SA's and Australia's respective tours to the SC later this year before I am truly sold on who is really number 1, but I think Australia beating South Africa at home is pretty decisive. Well deserved.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I need to see what happens in SA's and Australia's respective tours to the SC later this year before I am truly sold on who is really number 1, but I think Australia beating South Africa at home is pretty decisive. Well deserved.
Yeah, you couldn't really argue. Especially when you consider SA's recent losses of Kallis and Smith make them far less resilient than of yore, so it's not as if the recent SA/Aus series was just one of those things that could go either way next time.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Reckon they won't remain there for long with Marsh and MWaugh now influential in selection. Expect a lot more hit-and-hope selections on potential and guys backed heavily because they're making the right noises in the nets and 'all they need is one good knock'. Bacchus and Lehmann have never really seen eye-to-eye so this is potentially really bad news.
I don't think that Waugh's inclusion will have much impact on our Test squad. I think he'll shake up some things with our ODI squad though with players like Doherty and McKay being replaced by more aggressive cricketers.

morgieb

I don't think that Waugh's inclusion will have much impact on our Test squad. I think he'll shake up some things with our ODI squad though with players like Doherty and McKay being replaced by more aggressive cricketers.
Good thing IMO.

Am iffy on Marsh and Waugh being included though. Kinda with TC that they could get too funky, and Waugh strikes me as too biased to be a good selector. Hohns should be solid though.

uvelocity

International Coach
dermo abbott iirc (batting three)

Riggins

International Captain
Good thing IMO.

Am iffy on Marsh and Waugh being included though. Kinda with TC that they could get too funky, and Waugh strikes me as too biased to be a good selector. Hohns should be solid though.
I dont even think mark waugh is biased. I think it's just that he only ever watches nsw play, sohas a higher ipinion through seeing all their good stuff.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Abbott and Henriques are definitely the obvious ones but I think you have to give Waugh some credit (or realize he only has one vote) because I'm sure he understands there is a difference between picking his favourite players are doing his job by picking the best players for the team to win. I agree Morgie that it would be nice to see the more aggressive option chosen ahead of your Doherty and McKay's even if McKay would be a little unlucky to be dropped.