• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did Imran Khan use to do intense ball tempering frequently?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
did you deliberately avoid the statements of all the other humans i specified in my topic. is it Imran alone.there are some 11 names other than him... i can add few more like Qasim Omar etc etc.all these names including himself force me to think he was the worst of it.
What eleven names? Again, what does that tell us?

Getting thoroughly fed up with this rubbish. You're not forced to think anything, your forcing yourself to think whatever you want to think for whatever agenda it is you have.

Complete garbage.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
What eleven names? Again, what does that tell us?

Getting thoroughly fed up with this rubbish. You're not forced to think anything, your forcing yourself to think whatever you want to think for whatever agenda it is you have.

Complete garbage.
that tells me that he cheated big. and i stick on my opinion. and what ever others feel i can't accept the credentials of such person.you shall think of what ever suits you.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
that tells me that he cheated big. and i stick on my opinion. and what ever others feel i can't accept the credentials of such person.you shall think of what ever suit you.
Where does Dennis Lillee stand in your opinion? Because, according to Imran, he used to lift the seam on a regular basis.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Read how in '76 Roberts was surprised by no so much the decisions by the umpires, but how they allowed Lillee and Thomson to blatantly and excessively over selections the front crease. Additionally watch most of Lillee's appeals, one in particular I saw he ran down the middle of the pitch and when the batsman was given out jumped and stamped where the ball would land on a good length. Yea Lillee pushed the boundaries of sportsmanship at times.
Never previously heard about the lifting seam thing though.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Where does Dennis Lillee stand in your opinion? Because, according to Imran, he used to lift the seam on a regular basis.
now we have to look into possibilities of that happening. if we browse in the net 'w.r.t'' this and find several names accusing Lillee of this evil act then yes.other wise how can we, just because some on like Imran only , who stands on top of this produces such a statement.that being the case, can't we assume in this way too that Imran needed some other names to be dragged into it for his own defense and hence produced the statement?so as of now i do not believe in Imran's allegation about Lillee.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think it'd be "okay". I don't think it's "okay" that Imran may have systematically cheated either. But I think in evaluating how good someone is/was at a sport, how effectively they managed to cheat is just part of the package, cynical as that may sound. In the case of cycling you can never just get away with doping and then admit it later as they retrospectively change the results. If they started overturning Pakistan series wins and stripping Imran of awards then it'd be fair to say he didn't get away with it afterall, but it was a calculated gamble that paid off (if true; I'm avoiding taking sides in the crux of the actual debate in the thread).
It's amazing how many things pews is able to draw a line between.

Victor Ian

International Coach
But of course Imran would be the highlight reel from a search of the net. He is the only person with the balls to have admitted it, hence it makes news and then another 11 or so folk weigh in with their comments. No one else has made such an admission and no one makes comments because after the fact, it just sounds like sour grapes. I'd still like to know of others who the posters here think might have 'cheated'. Lillee has been thrown out there and Afridi was caught munching a ball and dancing on a pitch. How about Wasim and Waqar or the English 05 bowlers? Any others?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't think of the Imran bashing going on.

BTW what would be RTR's opinion on one of the Indian seamers who was caught red handed lifting the seam and scrathing and roughing the ball during 1993 india series in SL. And what about B ishan Singh Bedi ordering to cut the grass of the pitch mid way during a match with Ceylon XI?

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/070819/Sports/sp201.html

The year was 1975. The Sri Lankan Cricket team was touring India on a six week tour to play three unofficial Test matches and several matches against zonal teams. Our team comprised of Anura Tennakoon (Capt.) David Heyn, Duleep Mendis, Roy Dias, Bandula Warnapura, Sunil Wettimuny, Tony Opatha, Ranjith Fernando, Ajith de Silva, Lalith Kaluperuma, D.Sahabandu, D.S. de Silva, Russel Hamer, Ranjan Gunatileka, Mahesh Gunatileka and W.Withanage. I was Manager and Abu Fuard, was the Asst. Manager and Coach.

The second Unofficial Test was played at Ahmedabad. Bedi the Indian Captain winning the toss decided to bat first. At close of play on the first day, India was around 260 for the fall of 7 wickets. The Sri Lanka team arrived at the grounds at about 8 a.m. and after a few stretching exercises went straight onto the nets. While the team was practising I noticed that the Groundsman was using a heavy hand and sweeping the grass in the playing area with what appeared to be an ekel broom. Bedi and Lala Amarnath the former Indian Test player and the father of Mohinder and Surinder who were in the Indian team were watching the operation of the Groundsman from a distance of about 20 yards. As the operation of the Groundsman appeared to be a somewhat suspicious I immediately rushed towards the centre and was shocked to see that that the groundsman had removed a heap of grass forcibly from the playing area.

I immediately signalled to Abu Fuard and Anura Tennakoon to come over. When Abu Fuard saw what the groundsman had done he was furious and using the four letter to good effect he demanded an explanation for his conduct. A shivering groundsman most hesitatingly revealed that he was sweeping the grass as requested by Bishen Bedi.

Written complaint

Soon afterwards the Umpires arrived at the scene and we informed them of what the groundsman had revealed and showed them the heap of grass that had been removed from the wicket. The Umpires also admonished the groundsman and on inquiry by them informed that he was requested by Bedi to remove the grass from the wicket. We lodged a written complaint with the Umpires and indicated our unwillingness to play on a wicket that had been illegally tampered with. It was noteworthy that two of the best spinners in the world at that time namely Bedi and Venkataraghavan were playing in that match.The Indian Officials pleaded with us to continue with the match and eventually we decided to play under protest.

The match eventually started about 45 minutes late. The Indian media was pressing me for a statement on this incident and I was compelled to repeat the statement made by the groundsman. India was all out without much addition to the overnight total and Sri Lanka was dismissed for 168 runs.

India lost 2 wickets in their second innings. A total of 15 wickets fell on that day, the majority of them falling to the spinners of both sides.

On the following day our team was practising at the nets prior to the start of the match when we saw Bedi marching towards us. " Mr Manager " he yelled, " you have accused me of cheating. All the newspapers have published your statement to that effect. I told him that I had only repeated what the groundsman had told the Umpires.

When he started arguing further I told him firmly to leave the place as I had nothing to do with him. Sri Lanka finally lost in a low scoring match with the spinners on both sides doing the damage. At the end of the tour the Indian Board hosted the Sri Lankan team to a dinner. and a notable absentee at this dinner was the Indian Captain Bishen Singh Bedi, without even a word of apology for his absence. The foregoing are only a few of the many incidents where Bedi has caused embarrassment to the Indian Cricket Board and the Indian players.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
It's Disingenuous to pretend that you used to like Imran and now don't because of ball tampering. You have searched all over the web to find claims from others of his supposed ball tampering, which makes me question you motives.

Imran may have ball tampered, but not to the extent that is being claimed. You have only produced statements by others but they don't provide concrete evidence that he cheated. People lie, exaggerate and I wouldn't be surprised that it's also an attack on his character, since he wasn't the most popular person (people thought that he was arrogant and aloof).

If Imran got away with it without being detected by cameras, it's a very good chance that other bowlers also got away with it without being found out. At least Imran had the guts to admit that he tampered with the ball occasionally.

In addition, this was laid to rest when Beefy and Lamb lost their court case against Imran. I'm sure the matter was investigated more thoroughly than your web browsing.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It's Disingenuous to pretend that you used to like Imran and now don't because of ball tampering. You have searched all over the web to find claims from others of his supposed ball tampering, which makes me question you motives.

Imran may have ball tampered, but not to the extent that is being claimed. You have only produced statements by others but they don't provide concrete evidence that he cheated. People lie, exaggerate and I wouldn't be surprised that it's also an attack on his character, since he wasn't the most popular person (people thought that he was arrogant and aloof).

If Imran got away with it without being detected by cameras, it's a very good chance that other bowlers also got away with it without being found out. At least Imran had the guts to admit that he tampered with the ball occasionally.

In addition, this was laid to rest when Beefy and Lamb lost their court case against Imran. I'm sure the matter was investigated more thoroughly than your web browsing.
I have this strange inkling that the second statement might have some bearing on the validity of the first.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Can't think of the Imran bashing going on.

BTW what would be RTR's opinion on one of the Indian seamers who was caught red handed lifting the seam and scrathing and roughing the ball during 1993 india series in SL. And what about B ishan Singh Bedi ordering to cut the grass of the pitch mid way during a match with Ceylon XI?

Once a Bedi, always a Bedi
there are 2 things that are normally affected by such allegations. 1. the integrity of the player as a person and 2.the integrity of the player as a cricketer. Here in Bedi's case you have quoted a single instance of him where he tried to remove grass from the pitch. nothing more. that shows he once tried to do some thing not descent for cricketer just like say Lillee once using aluminium bat and caught.are there a lot of instances and persons alleging Bedi for such sort of behaviour? then i admit.. what you are saying has some matter in it and that Bedi was not that much perfect as a cricketer. but this is a single instance. so there is nothing much to it.

now who was the player in 1993 series. any evidence?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
there are 2 things that are normally affected by such allegations. 1. the integrity of the player as a person and 2.the integrity of the player as a cricketer. Here in Bedi's case you have quoted a single instance of him where he tried to remove grass from the pitch. nothing more. that shows he once tried to do some thing not descent for cricketer just like say Lillee once using aluminium bat and caught.are there a lot of instances and persons alleging Bedi for such sort of behaviour? then i admit.. what you are saying has some matter in it and that Bedi was not that much perfect as a cricketer. but this is a single instance. so there is nothing much to it.

now who was the player in 1993 series. any evidence?
Listen, rt, first things first. It is never a good idea to enter a forum with an agenda in mind. First you should comment on other threads, and try and familiarize yourself to the other members a bit. This way, all it seems you are interested in is to further some issue you have. This notion is further encouraged by the fact that smailshah has shown that you started the same thread over on another cricket forum, indiancricketfans.

All I am saying is that think of this (or any other forum for that matter) as a real-world organization. Act in the same way. This just seems a bit juvenile. I am sure that was not your aim when you posted, however it comes across that way. You might think about considering the fact that some (maybe many, maybe most) of the posters here may be more well read than you are when it comes to cricket and its history.

I am sure you have noticed the difference in the reactions between cricketweb and indiancricketfans (which is a very fine forum in its own right). Perhaps you should dial it down a bit, and consider that things are not always in the stark shades of white and black as you seem to be perceiving them here.

Again, I am saying this only because I was a new poster here not so long ago, and I am still in awe of how much most of the members know about cricket here, and how welcome they made me feel. You would have a much nicer, more informative and much more community-based experience here. Unless that's not what you are looking for.

Cheers.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man

i have replied to several of your questions spread among several of my previous msg:s. you shall derive what ever conclusion you want ... and i shall stick on with mine. no complaints

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Listen, rt, first things first. It is never a good idea to enter a forum with an agenda in mind. First you should comment on other threads, and try and familiarize yourself to the other members a bit. This way, all it seems you are interested in is to further some issue you have. This notion is further encouraged by the fact that smailshah has shown that you started the same thread over on another cricket forum, indiancricketfans.

All I am saying is that think of this (or any other forum for that matter) as a real-world organization. Act in the same way. This just seems a bit juvenile. I am sure that was not your aim when you posted, however it comes across that way. You might think about considering the fact that some (maybe many, maybe most) of the posters here may be more well read than you are when it comes to cricket and its history.

I am sure you have noticed the difference in the reactions between cricketweb and indiancricketfans (which is a very fine forum in its own right). Perhaps you should dial it down a bit, and consider that things are not always in the stark shades of white and black as you seem to be perceiving them here.

Again, I am saying this only because I was a new poster here not so long ago, and I am still in awe of how much most of the members know about cricket here, and how welcome they made me feel. You would have a much nicer, more informative and much more community-based experience here. Unless that's not what you are looking for.

Cheers.
you shouldn't have questioned me w.r.t Smailishah's topic. Again you need not lecture me on how to deal in a forum. w.r.t my cricket knowledge,just for your info i am not some one who can comment authoritatively on incidents from say Sir Gary Sobers times.But nor do am i a complete dumb w.r.t cricket matters.as far as i am concerned i am 100% right in expressing my doubts regarding a cricket matter and there by wanting to know others opinions w.r.t . after all the main purpose of forums like these is to have healthy debates.. i suppose.that being the case and since i know i am 100% correct to my consciousness...that's all matters to me.