• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did Imran Khan use to do intense ball tempering frequently?

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
No, he didn't say that. He said that if reverse swing was all about scratching the ball then how come other people who used the same ball were unable to do it? You're being disingenuous as usual.

Really now. When the rest of the world catches on to it then it is reverse swing but when Pakistan bowlers do it, it is called institutionalizing cheating 8-)
if we go thru the statements in topic there is more than just doing some simple things to get the ball reverse swinging.a lot of instances point to the shape of the ball severely altered by exceeding all the limits. i don't think in today's advanced telecast facility days that would have been ever gone scott free, let alone be it allowed.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only thing this says about Imran compared to anyone else is that he seems to have admitted it.
We all know loads have done it over the years. Some have been caught, others have got away with it and some cases we have seen balls changed but nobody charged etc...

Imran is one of the few who have admitted it. Shame more don't.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The whole reason Imran is famous for it is because he actually objected to the extent that other bowlers were taking it - lifting the seam and applying all sorts of oils etc to it when they got the chance.

We have had ball tampering occurring this year, ffs. By a team that includes one of the modern greats. And yet we're prepared to go back and re-evaluate a bowler simply because he's admitted to scratching the ball in an era in which far worse tampering almost certainly occurred.

Ridiculous.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
And the way ICFers have started imran bashing. LOL.
no body would dare to bash some one who has a clean chit... infact the legacy of such greats transcends boundaries....even transcends bitter rivals. that is why Don Bradman is adored and respected a lot even in England despite the history of bitter rivalry between the 2 teams.Same is the case with Botham calling Shane Warne ' the greatest cricketer of all time' or some thing like that.that is why Imran is respected in India a lot despite the bitter history between the 2 countries. i was one among them. but now that he has cheated beyond doubt I have no hesitation in reversing my opinion about him.i like to call spade a spade.whether you like it or not....

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Ball tampering has been done since day dot. So what imran ball tampered? Kudos to him for getting away with it. Once again the problem here is umpires not calling players out. Its up to the umpires to enforce the laws of tje game, and if they fail to do so then fair play.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Ball tampering has been done since day dot. So what imran ball tampered? Kudos to him for getting away with it. Once again the problem here is umpires not calling players out. Its up to the umpires to enforce the laws of tje game, and if they fail to do so then fair play.
When Imran took six for six from 23 deliveries, including a hat-trick, for Sussex against Warwickshire in 1983, umpire Don Oslear voiced his suspicions. Although Alvin Kallicharran, who saw the destruction from the non-striker’s end, deemed it the best bowling he had ever seen, others were not that effusive. England seamer Chris Old told the Daily Mirror, “I saw the ball [Imran] had tampered with, and it looked like a dog had chewed it.”
According to Oslear, “This was the first time I had seen one side of the ball scratched and torn with pieces of leather ripped out. The quarter seam had been opened up at a point where it meets the stitched seam and it appeared that some of the stitches had been cut. This allowed a triangle of leather to be pulled up from the surface of the ball, it was a piece large enough to be gripped between forefinger and thumb, and by which the ball could be suspended.”A report was sent to Lord’s.

the above statements point to the extend he went in this exercise.what if the umpires were too partial to the tampering parties? any way each to his own. i can't take such credentials built thru crooked means as an all perfect one. never.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
no body would dare to bash some one who has a clean chit... infact the legacy of such greats transcends boundaries....even transcends bitter rivals. that is why Don Bradman is adored and respected a lot even in England despite the history of bitter rivalry between the 2 teams.Same is the case with Botham calling Shane Warne ' the greatest cricketer of all time' or some thing like that.that is why Imran is respected in India a lot despite the bitter history between the 2 countries. i was one among them. but now that he has cheated beyond doubt I have no hesitation in reversing my opinion about him.i like to call spade a spade.whether you like it or not....
Murali says hi.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
When Imran took six for six from 23 deliveries, including a hat-trick, for Sussex against Warwickshire in 1983, umpire Don Oslear voiced his suspicions. Although Alvin Kallicharran, who saw the destruction from the non-striker’s end, deemed it the best bowling he had ever seen, others were not that effusive. England seamer Chris Old told the Daily Mirror, “I saw the ball [Imran] had tampered with, and it looked like a dog had chewed it.”
According to Oslear, “This was the first time I had seen one side of the ball scratched and torn with pieces of leather ripped out. The quarter seam had been opened up at a point where it meets the stitched seam and it appeared that some of the stitches had been cut. This allowed a triangle of leather to be pulled up from the surface of the ball, it was a piece large enough to be gripped between forefinger and thumb, and by which the ball could be suspended.”A report was sent to Lord’s.

the above statements point to the extend he went in this exercise.what if the umpires were too partial to the tampering parties? any way each to his own. i can't take such credentials built thru crooked means as an all perfect one. never.
No, the above statements describe an old ball. They don't describe Imran Khan ball tampering. I'm not sure if you're new to cricket or not, but there are 11 players on the field, any of whom may have tampered with the ball. I'm also not sure if you've played with a ball 50 overs old, but it's quite common for pieces of leather to be coming off and even for the seam to have some damage.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Having gone through some material on this, it seems Indian quicks were the only chumps to have not done tampered the ball. Upset about this now ! :@

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imran used to turn up to NSW training peeling an orange with a bottle top in one hand.

Proficient.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
No, the above statements describe an old ball. They don't describe Imran Khan ball tampering. I'm not sure if you're new to cricket or not, but there are 11 players on the field, any of whom may have tampered with the ball. I'm also not sure if you've played with a ball 50 overs old, but it's quite common for pieces of leather to be coming off and even for the seam to have some damage.
' but there are 11 players on the field, any of whom may have tampered with the ball' - in 82-83 Pakistan tour of India Imran was the one who was benefitted by the whole exercise. not necessary that the beneficiory indeed did all by himself. any of the team members including himself could have been bestowed upon to do the exercise. so what . if Imran was aware of all these things then he too was guilty.no doubt about that. and based on the events i googled and got i am sure as to he himself was a party on several occassions.