• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricrate: new cricket ratings website

Riggins

International Captain
We use Cribb's database whenever we try to do these. Cricket Web Premier League CPL Cricket - CricSim Obviously people knowing how players rate would corrupt the draft process and what not.

But we never actually sim the competition, so I hope that isn't the only reason for it's secrecy, basically, because that would be pointless.
Yeah I had a vague idea what you meant. Wanted the full explan of the other things. I wanna get involved in some schemes.

viriya

International Captain
I revisited the Test batting formula and reduced the significance of the base runs scored by ~25%, also added diminishing returns for 200+ scores (with 400 effectively equivalent to 300 and 300 equivalent to 275). Some of the universally agreed great knocks start showing up in the top 100 now:

cricrate | Best Test Batting Performances
Lara's 153* moves up to #25
Gooch's 154* shows up in the top 100 at #52
Kim Hughes' 100* just misses out on the top 100 at #107 (moving up from #198)

I also increased the default value openers got for the point of entry factor, which ensured that the England's great H's maintain their positions in the career ratings.

For ODIs, I adjusted the ratings to take into account rule changes that have generally favored batting with time (fielding restrictions, power plays, 2 new balls etc). Viv Richards takes the top spot in the career batting rankings with that change.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The overall ratings are so funny and absurd.

Faf du Plessis is already ahead of Bill Lawry as a test batsman (that is a perfect example of why longevity should be important) ...
Marcus Trescothick is ahead of Frank Worrell...
Ashish Nehra is rated much ahead of Kapil Dev as ODI bowler...I mean I don't even...

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
The overall ratings are so funny and absurd.

Faf du Plessis is already ahead of Bill Lawry as a test batsman (that is a perfect example of why longevity should be important) ...
Marcus Trescothick is ahead of Frank Worrell...
Ashish Nehra is rated much ahead of Kapil Dev as ODI bowler...I mean I don't even...
Short careers are heavily discounted, but they can't be purged from the career ratings or players like Graeme Pollock (#62) or George Headley (#25) would not feature in the list. It's a balancing act, and the thing to note about Faf's career ratings is that it can slump quickly as soon as he goes through a bad year.

Trescothick's numbers are underrated because he batted during a time when the majority of matches he played was vs the ATG Australian team with McGrath, Gillespie and Warne etc as the bowling atack. He was also an opener who generally faced the worst conditions. He also had a longer career with more significant innings.

Nehra is underrated as an ODI bowler. Sure, Kapil's stats are much better, but it's quite deceiving considering the era he bowled in. If you look at the numbers of great bowlers of his time, they were much better. He also benefited from not having ODI rules that benefited batsmen during his time. I'm not saying Nehra is clearly a better ODI bowler since the ratings are close enough to go either way, just that it's not as clear a choice as you might think from the numbers.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
Actually I think the Nehra vs Kapil in ODI bowling is a good point. I just pushed a change to take ODI rule changes into account, but it seems like the bowling rating discount on past bowlers is a little too harsh. All their ratings were discounted ~10% which might be a little too much. Will revisit that - appreciate for the comments.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Half your problems will be solved if you start measuring longevity by number of years rather than number of matches/innings. If you want to refine it further, visit PEWS' thread and follow our longevity discussion.

At the present, the all-time rankings are nothing short of a joke. Sorry to be rude, but anyone except you will agree with that comment.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
Half your problems will be solved if you start measuring longevity by number of years rather than number of matches/innings. If you want to refine it further, visit PEWS' thread and follow our longevity discussion.

At the present, the all-time rankings are nothing short of a joke. Sorry to be rude, but anyone except you will agree with that comment.
The longevity factor is adjusted by era. A match played in the 1930s is valued more than in the 2000s for example (2.33 times more to be specific). This is based on the # of matches played in each decade.

I don't really mind people getting worked up about ratings - it's kinda part of the territory. If you can be specific on examples that would be great - however many you can give. I will try to respond to each one of them :)

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The longevity factor is adjusted by era. A match played in the 1930s is valued more than in the 2000s for example (2.33 times more to be specific). This is based on the # of matches played in each decade.
doesn't solve the problem that some countries (like England in '90s) play insanely more number of tests than some other countries in the same decade.

In fact, I can now guess why most of English batsmen of the 90s are in the top 100.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
doesn't solve the problem that some countries (like England in '90s) play insanely more number of tests than some other countries in the same decade.

In fact, I can now guess why most of English batsmen of the 90s are in the top 100.
Playing more tests isn't always a good thing - the longevity factor isn't that significant. If their average innings ratings is low it's not going to make that much of a difference.

If an years played setup is implemented you have issues where players get dropped and pick years down the line.. or cases where players miss a long stretch like for the WWs.

I don't think England's 90s batsmen are obviously overrated - you get:
Kevin Pietersen #32
Graham Thorpe #50
Graham Gooch #58
Alec Stewart #64
Ian Bell #65
Alastair Cook #68
Marcus Trescothick #82
Jonathan Trott #84
Robin Smith #92
Nasser Hussain #94
Andrew Strauss #95
Mike Atherton #99

I think only Alec Stewart benefits a lot from the longevity factor, but I don't think he's highly overrated considering he batted in tough situations a lot and hung around for a long time.

viriya

International Captain
Nehra was da man during 2001-2004 tbf.
Another thing is that he benefits from being close to the best bowler in a pretty mediocre bowling attack. An economy rate of 5 is not as bad when everyone else is going at 6-6.5.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Oh, can't believe I'm taking part in these comparison discussions! Nehra vs Kapil as ODI bowlers, du Plessis vs Lawry as test batsmen.

What next? Agarkar vs Tendulkar as test batsmen?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
the longevity factor isn't that significant
then make it significant FFS.

Your all-time rankings are a huge joke at best. LT is completely justified in his attack in this thread. Spend some time following the discussions in PEWS' thread, as I've advised before (that's my best constructive advice at this moment, as you said you're looking for advice in this thread).

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think England's 90s batsmen are obviously overrated - you get:
Kevin Pietersen #32
Graham Thorpe #50
Graham Gooch #58
Alec Stewart #64
Ian Bell #65
Alastair Cook #68
Marcus Trescothick #82
Jonathan Trott #84
Robin Smith #92
Nasser Hussain #94
Andrew Strauss #95
Mike Atherton #99
Almost all of them are overrated at those places.

cnerd123

likes this
Oh, can't believe I'm taking part in these comparison discussions! Nehra vs Kapil as ODI bowlers, du Plessis vs Lawry as test batsmen.

What next? Agarkar vs Tendulkar as test batsmen?
Only one of them has a century at Lords. I know who I'm picking.