• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricrate: new cricket ratings website

Days of Grace

International Captain
Because in the context of the match, your partnership has made a big difference to the outcome.

Consider Jeet Raval's innings today. Will rank low in your system because of Kane but his partnership with Kane will probably mean a lot in the outcome.

You have to balance between lack of support and partnership that takes the match away from the opposition. I feel your system puts too much emphasis on the former.

indiaholic

International Captain
But the Bangladeshi guy will not get injured because he won't get to play any matches, so it will work out okay

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But the Bangladeshi guy will not get injured because he won't get to play any matches, so it will work out okay
Not true.

Call me simplistic but time makes the most sense to me because **** loses relevance over time, simple as that.

viriya

International Captain
I noticed there's no decay for players who miss a Test through injury (which is why Steyn is still ranked #1), what's the thinking behind that?
I think there should be a decay factor built in.. Sometimes players may miss games because the team doesn't feel they are good enough for the conditions and may be dropped.. Definitely need a penalty for that. Plus remaining fit is pretty much in the top 3 attributes for a sportsperson. Won't complain if people drop in rankings due to injuries.
Should be the number of matches his country plays that he misses.
Revisited this and implemented a 1% decay if a player misses a match. The decay goes on for ~2 years or so - mainly because that was easier to implement but it's also logical to not penalize injured players too extremely. Only implemented for Tests but will do for ODIs similarly.

A lot of moves historically with that change. Also updated ratings since the Ind vs Aus and NZ vs SA series are done now:

- De Kock drops out of top 10 (not being selected for Test team for a ~2y period affected him quite significantly): cricrate | Current Ratings - Test Batting
- Hobbs and Hutton jump 5 places (side effect): cricrate | Career Ratings - Test Batting
- Steyn drops to #3 (as expected): cricrate | Current Ratings - Test Bowling
- Woakes drops massively since he has been in and out of side: cricrate | Current Ratings - Test All-Round

cc14.png

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
Because in the context of the match, your partnership has made a big difference to the outcome.

Consider Jeet Raval's innings today. Will rank low in your system because of Kane but his partnership with Kane will probably mean a lot in the outcome.

You have to balance between lack of support and partnership that takes the match away from the opposition. I feel your system puts too much emphasis on the former.
Thanks for this suggestion - I added a partnership factor that gives the highest reward for a player who is involved in a big partnership. The size of the partnership is compared to the total match runs to evaluate the impact. Test batting innings are rated using 16 factors now!
cricrate | Methodology - Test Batting

Incidentally Dravid's 180 shows up in the top 1000 now:
cricrate | Performance Ratings - Test Batting

viriya

International Captain
FT20 update:

- Uthappa, Manish Pandey and Shaun Marsh jump into top 10, Dhoni and Gayle crash out of top 10: cricrate | Current Ratings - FT20 Batting
- Warner with #6 performance, Stokes with #37: cricrate | Performance Ratings - FT20 Batting
- McClenaghan and Tahir jump into top 10, Kulkarni drops out: cricrate | Current Ratings - FT20 Bowling
- Ferguson with #23 performance: cricrate | Performance Ratings - FT20 Bowling
- Negi with #27 performance: cricrate | Performance Ratings - FT20 All-Round

viriya

International Captain
ODI update:

- Williamson and Dhawan reach top 10, Guptil, Smith and Dhoni drop out: cricrate | Current Ratings - ODI Batting
- Kohli reaches top 5 all-time: cricrate | Career Ratings - ODI Batting
- Rashid Khan, Hazlewood and Plunkett jump into top 10, Mortaza, Narine and Ashwin drop out: cricrate | Current Ratings - ODI Bowling
- Rashid Khan with #7 rated performance: cricrate | Career Ratings - ODI Bowling
- Nabi replaces Shakib at top: cricrate | Current Ratings - ODI All-Round
- Kevin O'Brien with #11 rated performance: cricrate | Performance Ratings - ODI All-Round
- Steve Smith moves to #3: cricrate | Career Ratings - ODI Fielding
- Thisara Perera moves to #3 worst: cricrate | Career Ratings - ODI Win Shares

cc20.png