• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricrate: new cricket ratings website

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
@viriya

Kim Hughes' 100 at mcg 1981 isn't in the top 100 either. What's that innings missing? It's one of the all time great match winning knocks on a terrible pitch against the greatest pace attack ever assembled. Just makes me feel that you still put too much emphasis on runs scored in am innings. Apart from the fact that the innings isn't a massive one, it has everything else going for it. What lets it down in your formula?

viriya

International Captain
@viriya

Kim Hughes' 100 at mcg 1981 isn't in the top 100 either. What's that innings missing? It's one of the all time great match winning knocks on a terrible pitch against the greatest pace attack ever assembled. Just makes me feel that you still put too much emphasis on runs scored in am innings. Apart from the fact that the innings isn't a massive one, it has everything else going for it. What lets it down in your formula?
It just misses the top 100.. rated 2803 with the #100 rated 2808. But I agree it should be in the list. I'm going to make a change to increase the "bowling quality" factor which should push it higher (Laxman as well).

viriya

International Captain
Thinking way too much into it imo. The 167 might have done all you mentioned, sure.

It does not, however, make it in isolation, a great innings. An important innings for VVS, yes. But an ATG knock better than the 281 or 302? Nah, not close.
He made 167 out of a total of 251 vs a good Aus bowling attack away from home.. the next highest score was 25. The only thing pushing it down is that it came in a losing cause.

viriya

International Captain
Been busy, just updated Test + ODIs after ~2 months.

- Steve Smith with the #31 ranked Test Batting Performance: cricrate | Best Test Batting Performances
- Ben Stokes with the #70 ranked Test All-Round Performance: cricrate | Best Test All-Round Performances
- Kagiso Rabada with the #15 ODI Bowling Performance, Mustafizur Rahman with the #64: cricrate | Best ODI Bowling Performances
- Mohammad Hafeez with the #13 ODI All-Round Performance, Adil Rashid with the #97: cricrate | Best ODI All-Round Performances

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Crazy Test or crazy formula? No way on earth was that the 2nd best of all time, let alone the margin to the 3rd.

Daemon

Don't even think it was the best Broad has ever bowled, but any sort of ranking system is bound to rate 8-15 pretty highly.

OverratedSanity

How on earth does the ranking of worst fielders in test history have Mahela, Dravid (two ATG slip catchers) and Dwayne Bravo (one of the most athletic guys in recent memory) as the top 3?

viriya

International Captain
How on earth does the ranking of worst fielders in test history have Mahela, Dravid (two ATG slip catchers) and Dwayne Bravo (one of the most athletic guys in recent memory) as the top 3?
Basically their drop rates from 2006/07 onwards in Tests suggest that they are overrated. It's slightly unfair though since it ignores their early career due to lack of data and also since they face more chances they are more likely to drop some (still, the % shouldn't be this high). Another interesting name on that list is Steven Smith (#15, was #9 before the ashes) - his ~30% drop rate was confirmed when someone questioned it when I introduced it earlier.

Bravo actually shows up in the Best Fielder list in ODIs, apparently it didn't transfer over to the long form.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The real travesty is that Mike Whitney's immortal 7-for against India in '92 has now been pushed out of the all time top 10.

flibbertyjibber

How is McGrath's 97 Lord's performance so low and Broad so high? I know in my own mind which was a better bowling performance and it wasn't Broad.

viriya

International Captain
But they're not facts though.
These drop rates are coming from actual textual evidence. It's misassigned/missing very rarely. So these drop rates are facts. It's a fact that Steven Smith has dropped 27% of his Test catches. It's also a fact that he's only dropped 6% of his ODI chances - which is where his fielding reputation comes from. Same applies to Bravo.

viriya

International Captain
How is McGrath's 97 Lord's performance so low and Broad so high? I know in my own mind which was a better bowling performance and it wasn't Broad.
Obviously because however good McGrath's spell was, it didn't lead to a win.
Also just from a quick overview, the English 97 batsmen weren't that great.. Not that this Aussie line-up is much better, but Smith was near a career high.