• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricrate: new cricket ratings website

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm, you could argue that defending a low total suggests conditions were not easy to bat in, which devalues his 6/8 a little.

viriya

International Captain
Hmm, you could argue that defending a low total suggests conditions were not easy to bat in, which devalues his 6/8 a little.
Yes, but the main reason it's rated so high is his incredible SR and Econ to go with the 6 wickets.

viriya

International Captain
Was one of the greenest greentops ever in odi history.
Agreed, but Mohit Sharma who got 2 less wickets bowled almost twice as many overs for 6 times the runs given away. Umesh bowled 5 overs for 32 for no wickets.

You still have to bowl well. Binny did enough to be considered one of the GOAT performances. I really don't have a specific performance that I think is the best - I'm sure you can come up with different ones.

cnerd123

likes this
He didn't really bowl that well though. 2 were bad flicks to balls on legstump, one was poking at a wide one, one dragged a wide one into his stumps, and one was the number 11 missing a straight ball. Mortaza was the only one who received an actual good ball.

I mean sure he bowled decently in between those wickets, but no way on earth is this one of the GOAT ODI performances. It was atrocious batting. A complete brainfade from the BD batsmen.

The reason Binny took all those wickets and not Yadav/Mohit is because he managed to get the ball to swing a bit here while those two didn't, and BD basically **** themselves under the pressure of expectation and the sight of a moving ball.

It was a good spell, but I'd argue McGrath bowled better in his 7 fer vs. Namibia. Heck he probably bowled better spells than this even on his bad days.

And I honestly understand if the algorithm throws this up as one of the GOAT bowling performances, but I'd prefer it if you would just accept such results as a quirk of the system, rather than attempting to actually defend its place on that list.

viriya

International Captain
And I honestly understand if the algorithm throws this up as one of the GOAT bowling performances, but I'd prefer it if you would just accept such results as a quirk of the system, rather than attempting to actually defend its place on that list.
You are misunderstanding what I'm trying to measure again. How in the world can a stats based system know if he actually showed great skill or not? Just think about what you're saying for a second.

I'm measuring results not ability. If you don't want to subscribe to a numbers based ratings system then why even get into the discussion here? How good the performance looked is completely irrelevant.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Every statistical system in the world is going to rate that performance highly. Purely by stats it was a great performance so there's no point arguing here.

Also you hate Binny because you hate abilities and because he bangs Mayanti, stfu *****.

cnerd123

likes this
He took 6 wickets in 28 balls giving away 4 runs, in the process defending a total of 105. That performance is downplayed in everyone's eyes because of the opposition being Bangladesh, and while that lowers its rating by quite a bit, everything else is in Binny's favor. To be clear, I'm not saying that it was undoubtedly the greatest ODI performance, just that it was great enough to be up there - you could argue for a different one I'm sure.
Agreed, but Mohit Sharma who got 2 less wickets bowled almost twice as many overs for 6 times the runs given away. Umesh bowled 5 overs for 32 for no wickets.

You still have to bowl well. Binny did enough to be considered one of the GOAT performances. I really don't have a specific performance that I think is the best - I'm sure you can come up with different ones.
Doesn't sound like you are discussing it in a purely statistical view TBH.

But if that going to be your disclaimer, then fair enough.

viriya

International Captain
Doesn't sound like you are discussing it in a purely statistical view TBH.

But if that going to be your disclaimer, then fair enough.
Both my quotes are bringing up the actual numbers - where have I talked about actual bowling ability?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I was just about to comment on how farcical a ranking system that has Marlon Samuels at number 10 was.

Then I saw who was at number 11...

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Michael Bevan rated at #13 in ODI batting careers. Ikki to freak out after seeing the rating.

cricrate | Best ODI Batting Careers
I would have thought he'd be above Kallis and de Silva, but I think there is *some* argument for most of the top 12 being ahead of him. I mean, it's not wholly ridiculous to suggest Kohli/Dhoni/Lara are better -- it's not like the rankings have Sikandar Raza at #9 or anything.

viriya

International Captain
Gotta dig Afridi above Dravid tho.
While Afridi makes a lot less runs, when he does he usually is more impactful than Dravid, he also has had a longer career. Even then 949 vs 914 is not that big a difference.

viriya

International Captain
I think you need a way to filter/sort batting and bowling ratings by their team roles.
No clear way to do that automatically.. especially since most players go through different roles during their careers. I've done that for the fielding ratings though (keepers vs fielders).

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I would have thought he'd be above Kallis and de Silva, but I think there is *some* argument for most of the top 12 being ahead of him. I mean, it's not wholly ridiculous to suggest Kohli/Dhoni/Lara are better -- it's not like the rankings have Sikandar Raza at #9 or anything.
I don't mind the rankings. Every ranking system tells us something about the cricketers and their careers.

Viriya - since you know the workings of the rating system, could you help us understand Bevan's lower ranking relative to where most fans would put him. Thanks.

Last edited: