• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Associate Draft

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And for Watson:

Ryan ten Doeschate - born in Port Elizabeth. His second game of first class cricket was for a Western Province Youth XI against the touring Netherlands. Tendo didn't do well (outperformed by J Wiggle, as it happens). He didn't make much progress in the Western Province set-up and in 2003 he moved to Essex, where he has played since. Much like the A-Team, he has become a soldier of fortune; just simply in T20 leagues (and I don't believe he was wrongly imprisoned, and if he shoots people I suspect they die or at least get hurt, unlike side-characters from the A Team who would get blown up and be perfectly fine afterwards). He medium to medium-fast bowler, but only ever really a part timer, he's more famous for his batting. He has 'torn up' for the Dutch in the Intercontinental Cup averaging 142.77 for them in first class games. For Essex, he's averaged 40 with the bat over a long period and he wouldn't have looked out of place at a higher level, especially in ODIs where he's averaged 67 for the Dutch. He also built up a cult following on CW a number of years back, which has diminished in size in recent years.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Bart King

A class act amongst the thoroughly decent "Gentlemen of Philadelphia" sides who toured England in 1897, 1903 and 1908 and played against the counties, and probably should have played England - he, some would say, invented "swerve" bowling and took more than 400 wickets at around 15 in First Class cricket - no mean batsman either he got a ton against the full strength of Surrey in 1903, and averaged 20 over his career

watson

Banned
Just curious - are there really 99 Associate players that can be selected? Or by Round 11 will it be a case of, 'I'll take Omar Bongo the Pygmy. Averaged 27 for Gabon in the Central African Cup'.

Last edited:

fredfertang

I'm sure we'll find 99 without any trouble - there won't be many household names but I suspect you'll be surprised how many you have heard of, or alternatively are surprised you haven't heard of :)

watson

Banned
I'm sure we'll find 99 without any trouble - there won't be many household names but I suspect you'll be surprised how many you have heard of, or alternatively are surprised you haven't heard of :)
OK cool. And good on Heath for organising a rather unique Draft. Incidently, I suspect the latter.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
For Watson:

The greatest batsman from Ceylon's pre-Test era, Mahadevan Satahasivam was described by no lesser authority than Sir Garfield Sobers as "the greatest batsman ever on earth", and by Frank Worrell as "the greatest batsman [he] had ever seen". He's perhaps the only man to have not only represented, but captained, three national teams - those of Ceylon, Singapore and Malaysia (it is rumoured that the ECB has recently called to request his services).

He's been called the "Sri Lankan Keith Miller" for his partying ways, and had the Doug Walters-like knack of scoring tons after drinking through 'til dawn. And, umm, of somewhat more concern, he was accused, arrested and subsequently acquitted of murdering his wife, meaning he isn't nearly as morally abhorrent a selection as, say, Roy Gilchrist. FC batting average of 40 from 11 games played early on in his lengthy career.

watson

Banned
There is an alternative explanation .........................
Where are they Now? Maurice Odumbe

He played rugby at school, was a goalkeeper for his high school team, participated in athletics but never played cricket for his high school team.

Where are they Now ? Maurice Odumbe - Maurice Odumbe Videos : Firstpost Topic - Page 1
Yes, I reckon it's because PEWS' player is a goal keeper and has never actually played cricket before. Presumerably he'll be keeping wicket then.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah. Flattered to deceive a bit, but he showed at the 2003 World Cup that he had the ability. Definitely a bit more to him than his stats would suggest.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If you guys don't mind, I think I might drop out of this. Certain events that happened today mean that I don't think I can commit.

Sorry for the inconvenience Heef :(

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If you guys don't mind, I think I might drop out of this. Certain events that happened today mean that I don't think I can commit.

Sorry for the inconvenience Heef :(
Hope things are ok mate.