• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bart King - The Greatest fast bowler?

cbuts

International Debutant
obviusly to hard to tell how good he was, shame america didnt really play cricket - if he had of played a number of test matches who knows. in my opinion hadlee is the best bowler of all time

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think that it's a quite magnificent record by any standards - as you say, a shame he didn't get more exposure at international level.

It's interesting to note that cricket thrived in areas of the US at the start of the last century, and that WWI seemed to put an end to it.

I wonder where US cricket would have been now if the fates had not intervened?

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
I think that it's a quite magnificent record by any standards - as you say, a shame he didn't get more exposure at international level.

It's interesting to note that cricket thrived in areas of the US at the start of the last century, and that WWI seemed to put an end to it.

I wonder where US cricket would have been now if the fates had not intervened?
Blame Germany, Japan etc.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Possible urban legend about King - playing a game around the turn of the century (obviously).

An opposing batsman boasted about how he would hit King all over the ground.. so when he came into bat, King dismissed the rest of his fielders bar fine leg.. "I'll deal with this one myself".

"Oh", said the batsman, "why are you keeping fine leg?"

"So he can catch the ball after it's bowled you"

Sure enough, his wicked inswinging yorker delivered with a baseball-style round arm action castled the batsman and the ball looped off into the hands of fine leg.

No idea if it's true or not...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
Blame Germany, Japan etc.
Note the I, not the II. Japan fought against the Central Powers (?) in the first war. Germany, Turkey and Austria-Hungary was the problem..

Still, I don't see that having that much effect on cricket.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Still, I don't see that having that much effect on cricket.
I've read many articles about cricket at the start of the 20th century - and many of them indicate that there was a thriving cricket community in certain areas of the USA.

It all seemed to peter out around 1916-1917.

Just putting 2 and 2 together.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
completely impossible to tell anthing about the guy other than the fact he has a magnificent FC record in competitions which we know nothing about.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
US actually played the first international cricket match. It was against Canada.

And regarding King, why didnt he just mive somewher else so he could play test cricket???

krkode

State Captain
Prince EWS said:
US actually played the first international cricket match. It was against Canada.

And regarding King, why didnt he just mive somewher else so he could play test cricket???
I believe the first was against England...and the USA won at that! :wow:

quytst0rm

School Boy/Girl Captain
I am quite postive its Canada. Bart King toured England and played in first class matches and took 87 wickets @ 11.08 in 1903 at the age of 35. I believe the average was an English Cricket record and stood for some decades so that tells a lot about this guy and the talent he had. And about him not moving to some other country so he can have greater opportunities nobody can answer that question except himself. But from what i heard and read this guy was the real deal too bad he didn't get a chance to prove this to the world.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
USA v. Canada was definately the first international cricket match, but USA did play some games (after the Canada match) against England. Never, however, did an English XI play against an American XI.
There is a reason the 1st Test was the 1st Test. It was the first time two international teams of eleven players had played each other. Matches where teams have more or less than 11 players cannot be First-Class.