• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Will Be Australia's First Class Spinner

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well said Rik. Some people use that term far too loosely. :!(
I'm just sick of it. Because someone has a disability they are immediately a "******." Hell I'm supposed to be one. Look how clever those people are...

Damien Martyn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hey Rik,
Fair Enough and im sorry 4 calling Neally everyone retards i hope you all accept my deepest regrets...

I'll join this bandwagon: Well done, Rik.

ANNNNNNNYWAY, it is fairly obvious that Warne, MacGill and Hogg are all getting on in years now (and Hogg is just plain useless), there's probably a kid that could be worked on for the day when these guys retire. For mine, Nathan Hauritz and Beau Casson are the standouts (and they can both bat! :D). Most people know of Hauritz and I think once he made the OD side they probably should have stuck with him a bit longer. Furthermore, it's not a great help to him being in Queensland. He's got the goods, though.

Casson is not as well known, but every bit as good for mine. One problem at the moment is that he can be absolutely brutal one innings and be expensive and wicketless the next. He's got greatness written on him, but he's just gotta start landing the ball in the right spots more often. He's way better than Hogg though.

Hogg is used as a 'wicket-taking bowler'. He's used without regard for the run rate but to pick up wickets. He's an attacking bowler but how often do we see the results of Hogg's aggression? He's hardly pulled out any trees.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hauritz according to Terry Jenner:

The Kenyan ODI series harmed his development by forcing him to bowl 'darts' with the aim of constricting rather than penetration.

I've never seen Hauritz, ever, so can't comment. Anyone?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The header of this post is so funny it always makes me laugh. Apart from Warne and MacGill, I dont think there has ever been a good aussie spinner since.. since maybe Trevor Hohns? oh he wasnt good either :lol: ok there was gavin robertson, bradd hogg and peter mcintyre in between :lol: :lol:

That's exactly right. Ashley Mallett also mentioned how Hauritz needed to get more flight into his bowling, which I'm led to believe he's done. I don't think spinners should be used in the OD game to restrict the opposition.

Having seen him a while ago he was bowling very, very flat. That gives him no flight, no spin, absolutely no friggin' penetration.

I'd like to know that he's got some flight in his bowling nowadays, though.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:

The Kenyan ODI series harmed his development by forcing him to bowl 'darts' with the aim of constricting rather than penetration.

I saw some highlights of him bowling on ICC Cricket World a while ago, looked a pretty typical flat offie.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
haurtiz - good OD bowler, good flight, accurate, can bowl darts and tie batsmen down. takes alot of wickets from batsmen trying to go after him.

doesn't have enough wicket taking balls in the longer version of the game though

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:

A typical fingerspinner - useless.
Flat, but still too slow.
And certainly even worse in the longer game.
Those who call him a good OD bowler are ignoring his ODI record - he's a typical example of the "he's young - try to pretend he's done well when he hasn't" brigade.
And to all those who clutch at straws like flight - flighting the ball won't help he who can't turn it.
Australia's only really good spinner since Benaud has been Warne. There must have been a couple more in the '60s but wristspin basically died in the '70s and '80s so they couldn't have had any.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Those who call him a good OD bowler are ignoring his ODI record - he's a typical example of the "he's young - try to pretend he's done well when he hasn't" brigade.
Or are they people who've actually seen him play a fair bit?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How many times - you don't need to see a fingerspinner bowl to know they're useless.
Fingerspinners cannot be good bowlers except in certain conditions. Those conditions are very seldom seen in Australia.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
How many times - you don't need to see a fingerspinner bowl to know they're useless.
And you don't need to read a post be you to know it's going to be full of opinionated tripe.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's rather a PCKB comment - all decent cricket fans are opinionated, because they know the game and have opinions on it.
Tripe is also a MOO.

Simon W

Cricket Spectator
STUART MacGILL.

MacGill is my favourite bowler - I've always been a fan of his. I think it's a bit pathetic how he's been treated over the years - Outbowling Warne, yet always second pick. I haven't missed Warne one bit this last year, because MacGill has finally had a full year in Test cricket that he has deserved for a LONG time.

And what's this rubbish about MacGill not being suitable for one-day selection!! 4-46 and 3-42 in his last two ING matches. I've got nothing against Hogg, but MacGill would be a better selection. And this crap about MacGill's economy rate being too high (it's under 4 for his three ODIs) - How come it's ok for Brett Lee to regularly go for plenty.

Anyway, that's my answer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
MacGill is damn lucky his year came in one that included a Bangladesh series.
:rolleyes:
But for that, his Test average is now over 30. 30.70 to be exact.
And the only other times he's done well are against us in 1998\99 when we couldn't play wristspin for $hit, in Pakistan on debut and in two one-off Tests against South Africa.