• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Anyway Boult is already chirping i see!!

NEW ZEALAND PACER NOT EXPECTING MUCH HELP FROM CARIBBEAN PITCHES

May 22, 2014

Pacer Trent Boult says he is not expecting wickets friendly to fast bowlers in the Caribbean when New Zealand take on the West Indies in a three-Test series starting next month.

The Black Caps depart tomorrow, heading to Jamaica’s Montego Bay for a 10-day camp, which includes two warm-up games, ahead of the first Test in Jamaica, beginning on June 8. Boult, who has formed a formidable partnership with Tim Southee as New Zealand’s dangerous new ball-duo, says the use of the new ball and the reverse swing will factor heavily in the outcome of matches.

“The wickets aren’t really going to be too pace bowler-friendly I guess. But it’s all part of it,” Boult said. “It’s about Test cricket and it’s about touring. It’s going to be exciting”.

New Zealand recently surpassed Sri Lanka to reach No 6 in the ICC rankings, having had a wonderful home summer in scoring series wins over both the Windies and India.

Against the West Indies, Boult, who has now moved to a career-high No 7 in the Test bowling rankings, totalled 20 wickets at 15.4.

“There are flat wickets in New Zealand, there are flat wickets everywhere, so using the new ball, using the swing is going to be important, and then reverse swing’s got to factor into it in the later part of the innings,” said Boult who has played just 22 Tests but has 82 scalps to his name at the impressive average of 26.59.
“So if we can exploit those two things, as well as stay to our lines and stay to our plans, I think yeah, we’re going to be successful. We’ve taken a lot of confidence out of what we’ve done to their lineup here in New Zealand.”

The Caribbean tour is Boult’s second since New Zealand’s disastrous tour of 2012.
Link

They can take "confidence" from what happened in NZ but of course we did the same after what happened in the Caribbean between the two sides...so that's not really gonna make any difference to the outcome imo. They'll also be facing a different side to the one that went to NZ..especially when it comes to our attack that will be a totally different animal.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
He's already all over the papers and in the media...but like i said i just hope he enjoys himself in the u17s competition coming up, keeps learning and don't let the hype go to his head...seeing him speak on twitter he's level headed though so it shouldn't be a problem...kid doesn't need anymore pressure than he's got already although no doubt all eyes will be on him from now on.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yeah definitely deserves its own thread.
Yeah when i have time i'll get it done..

Anyway more press about this series

TRIAL BY SPIN AWAITS BLACK CAPS IN WEST INDIES

After a week of spin and counter-spin in the match-fixing saga, the tweakers on the pitch now occupy the Black Caps’ minds as they depart today for their West Indies tour.

Three of them, in fact, with coach Mike Hesson braced for a potential trio of frontline West Indies spinners including the long shadow of Sulieman Benn.

The fiery two-metre-tall left-armer played the last of his 17 tests in December 2010 and tangled with Mitchell Johnson and Dale Steyn in various mid-pitch clashes. He’s back in the selection frame, named in the hosts’ 20-man training squad after taking 37 wickets at 15.45 in the domestic first-class competition.

Alongside Sunil Narine and Shane Shillingford, both troublesome for New Zealand in the past, it adds up to the most daunting spin test from any current international side.

“All I can go by is recent history and it’s turned and bounced [in the Caribbean]. The wicket blocks are bare in photos we’ve seen, so that’s pretty much what we expect to get,” Hesson said.

“They’ve got three very good spinners and there’s a possibility they could play all three so we have to prepare for that. In their conditions they’re a completely different proposition than they were at home.”

It looks a huge ask for the tourists who are vulnerable to spin and travel poorly. In 12 away tests in the past two years, they’ve won one, lost nine, and drawn two, both in Bangladesh.

Sponge mats on the practice pitches, to accentuate turn and bounce, were the latest tool to prepare for a spin barrage. They’ve travelled early, and have five days of warmup matches against a Jamaica Selection XI before the first test at Kingston on June 9.

“We can try and replicate it as best we can indoors, but ultimately it’s about getting your gameplan certain so when you get over there you can fine tune it,” Hesson said.

The batsmen will converge from different parts of the globe. Openers Peter Fulton, Hamish Rutherford and Tom Latham prepared at home, Kane Williamson is with Yorkshire while Brendon McCullum, Ross Taylor and Corey Anderson will fly from the Indian Premier League. McCullum returned for the birth of his third child then hopes to play in the IPL playoffs before joining the team in the Caribbean in time for the first test.

Also coming from the IPL is commentator-turned-batting-coach Craig McMillan, a key scout of West Indies players in India.

“He’s highly experienced and tried a lot of things when he was a player so he understands different techniques and what works and what doesn’t,” Hesson said.

“He’s got a lot of empathy for players and the different emotions they go through so he’ll be a useful sounding board. He likes to create a testing environment and that’s something we’ve worked pretty hard on.”

It appears Fulton, by virtue of his experience and prominence in the leadership group, will be one opener with Latham and Rutherford competing for the other spot. Latham, the big improver, has the inside running.

West Indies have a new skipper, gloveman Denesh Ramdin, and welcome back master blaster Chris Gayle for his 100th test on his home ground.

With captain Darren Sammy axed, fellow all-rounder Dwayne Bravo is back in the frame, as is paceman Kemar Roach who is back in the extended squad after an injury layoff.

Hesson knows the enormity of the task but wasn’t prepared to label a respectable scoreline in the three-test series.

“I’ve got no idea. We lost 2-0 last time over there [in 2012] and sides don’t win away from home too often, so we know it’s going to be incredibly tough. If we’re able to scrap out a test series win that’d be a huge achievement.

“We’re preparing as well as we can and those first 10 days are pretty crucial for us to adapt to conditions.”
Link

I think it's a tad ott thinking we're gonna play "three" spinners!!..you can be sure that's not happening!!...we only had one last time...so two should be more than enough to get the job done!! :D .

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't want to mention him yet but as you've done the honours :D ...yeah well the kid is causing a massive stir in the caribbean right now...completely smashed Brian Lara's schoolboy record age just 13 and then the other day amoungst getting a ton and a double ton he only went and hit 404 not out in about 28/30 overs...just incredible stuff. The game after he hit another ton aswell...not sure if he's related to Alvin though.

But yeah the latest is at 14 he's now gonna play for the Trinidad u17s and is being eyed up to play for the u19s aswell...the kid bats way beyond his years and we're hoping he could be another great in the making..we'll just have to wait and see because things can change quickly at youth level but no doubt we haven't witnessed anything like this hype since Brian was a kid..even Trinidad coaches who saw Lara as a schoolboy are saying KK is on a par at that age if not better. But hey no pressure :laugh: .

I just hope the lad settles in at u17 level and develops his game from there...
How can this be even true - an article I read said he came in during the 10th over of a 35 over game. That leaves 25 overs left. Lets say he farmed the strike and faced 100 deliveries. He would have scored 404 off 100 balls. That is simply impossible. I think something has been misreported.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
How can this be even true - an article I read said he came in during the 10th over of a 35 over game. That leaves 25 overs left. Lets say he farmed the strike and faced 100 deliveries. He would have scored 404 off 100 balls. That is simply impossible. I think something has been misreported.
Kallicharan hits 404 for Vishnu Boys | The Trinidad Guardian Newspaper

Kallicharan struck 44 fours and 31 sixes in his innings.
So that leaves him ~25 other balls to get 42 runs, against these Valencia kids who just aren't up to it.

In reply, Valencia was dismissed for 89 in 24 overs, as Kallicharan who is an effective leg-spinner, picked up two wickets for zero runs.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
31 sixes itself is also impossible unless it was a postage stamp ground. That's more than a six every over.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hurricane, "impossible" doesn't mean what you think it does.
The 5th definition of the word given by dictionary.com is as follows

utterly impracticable*
"an impossible plan."

Impracticable
adjective
not practicable; incapable of being put into practice with the available means:

No human being can score at that strike rate for that long.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Even his interview is ridiculous. He scored his first 100 off only 35 balls and he says
"At first I was just aiming for a 100 then I decided to accelerate after I got there".

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember reading an article on cricinfo where a Sri Lankan hit 278 in a club T20 game of decent standard.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
31 sixes itself is also impossible unless it was a postage stamp ground. That's more than a six every over.
Not impossible but it certainly does ask significant questions about the standard of the opposition and brings questions as to how great an achievement this really is in the grand scheme of things.