• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Moores gets a second bite of the apple

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apparently the first person to get a second stab at coaching any of our three major sporting national sides?

Can't argue with his success at County level I suppose but first time round a number of senior players had issues with his methods, not just KP.

Farbrace as #2 is doing the rounds too, despite him denying having applied.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
With my non Lancashire hat on I think its a decent appointment. But that is coming from someone who was firmly in the ABG camp.

Remove Broad from any position of authority imo. Too emotional for captiancy material.

Woodster

International Captain
I think it's a brave move from the ECB to go back to a coach that they have already terminated the contract of when he held this post previously. Yes as said previously it wasn't just KP that had reservations over his coaching methods in his previous tenure, but you would hope that Moores took all that on board and has modified his techniques to some degree in order to meet more approval from the players this time around. I also remember that Moores handled himself impeccably following his sacking, not resorting to calling people that had seemingly jumped on the bandwagon, instead applied himself thoroughly professionally back in county cricket with Lancs and achieved a first outright Championship title since 1934, and that was with a team that had few superstars but an insatiable desire towards the team ethic. Demonstrating the kind of ethics that a new era and new look England may instil deep within their DNA.

I find the appointment of Moores more exciting than the safety of Ashley Giles, that may be unfair on Gilo, but Moores has craved this second opportunity to put right his first spell in charge, and as has been well documented, he still did some very good things in his previous spell in charge, but they do get overshadowed somewhat by his dramatic departure.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting move by the ECB and I think I like it.

Moores must have had a very compelling case for the job as lets face it, all thing things being equal the bloke you've previously sacked is starting well behind the eight ball straight away compared to the other candidates.

Time will tell but taking 2 positives straight away; a) it's not Giles and b) there will be no KP U turn down the track.

I'm on board with this.......for now anyway.

Edit:

Would it generally be down to the new coach to pick the new coaching staff now? I'd like to see Saker stay in his position but do feel it is time for Gooch to move on.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

How thoroughly uninspiring. The England team needs a real shake up, and I can't really imagine that a guy that a number of them have worked with previously is really the person to do it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't rate Moores at all. In fact click on the link in my signature to see my published (:cool:) opinion.

Flower took what was essentially the same group of players to much greater heights.

grecian

Well I think it's a good decision, he's clearly the out-standing candidate from County cricket, and you'd hope he's sensible enough to have learnt from his first time in charge.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well I think it's a good decision, he's clearly the out-standing candidate from County cricket, and you'd hope he's sensible enough to have learnt from his first time in charge.
You'd hope so. It must also help that, this time, the side isn't dominated by massive egos who had earnt their reputation under his predecessor and didn't want to see anything change. The five or so who will still be around are cut from pretty different cloth to KP, Flintoff, Vaughan, Harmison & co. Plus this 5-0 doesn't really leave a lot of room for argument if the new coach wants to change things, whereas the 2006-07 version was rather more understandable.

Good luck to him.

grecian

Well I do hope the first question put to him was "will you ever pick Jade Dernbach for England again?". an answer in the affirmative obviously would see him bundled out the door, and thrown onto the streets.

grecian

Presumably no more Giles as ODI coach either?
Well if Farbrace is number 2, one presumes he'll be in charge of much of the limited-overs stuff. No mention of him. Shut up talking about KP.

Press conference starting about now.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not impressed, get behind him though.

Feel for Lancashire losing their coach a few weeks into new season. Shambles by ECB on that front.

grecian

Interesting that he talked about playing a more attacking form of the game, wonder how that'll work out with the conservative Cook. Hopefully he'll be able to shift Cook away from his moribund tactics on the field.

Sean Flynn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think England needed a more freer spirit than Moores. To me he is similar to Mickey Arthur and the Aussies ditched him soon enough. A baffling appointment.