• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Moores gets a second bite of the apple

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not sure the point, said I can't think of too many. (a) I didn't say I can't think of none, and (b) I said I, so was talking about what I know of.

Very odd thing to attack Spikey. Don't take your frustration of Essendon sucking out on me.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Know squat about the Oilers (except their being uniquely the only sporting franchise to be named after those unsung, but committed ladies who work backstage lubricating the feature attractions at strip clubs), but Real make Essendon look like a case study in good governance, so not sure we should be taking too much forward from them.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They're also one of the most successful and wealthy teams in world sport.

Meh, not sure how viable all this talk is, Moores has admitted to mistakes and said he'll do things differently, going to give him the benefit myself. Not sure who else would be a better choice really, if he can get a big name as assistant too, this will be a major assist.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hey guys, what's this some people are going on about on Twitter about Moores sitting over Lancashire getting relegated?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Oh and if Farbrace is appointed another 'keeper there, I await Pickup's call-up to TeamEngland.
I made the last four a few months ago when they were looking for a Coach Development Manager.

I also got a nice letter on headed paper from the ECB earlier this week, but it was only telling me I had been nominated as Oxfordshire's Coach of the Year. So not quite the big ticket, but a free day out at the Oval in August anyway.

Anyway, on topic, keepers do tend to be over-represented in the coaching fraternity because we generally can't stop talking and are used to taking responsibility for things, whilst a shy/retiring nature isn't typically suited to coaching and leadership/management. Moores has stayed in the ECB picture in the few years since his original stint as coach, to the extent where he was the main speaker at last year's ECB coaches conference. His style struck me as being very much back-to-basics (or "basics at pace" in his words) and I'd imagine that would be much more suited to a young team in transition than a fading team of players unable to replicate former glories.

Oh, Mourinho's not done badly on return, has he?

grecian

2011 - Champions
2012 - Relegated
2013 - Won Division 2

Make of that what you will.
Yeah the twiteratti KP fans banging on about the relegation id odd, it's almost like they don't understand the great achievement of Lancashire winning the Championship for the first time in 77 years, oh and the relegation being followed by promotion, because they're just blindly ignorant KP/PiersMorgan followers who know ****-all about cricket.

BTW Neil I'll admit I'm above interseted in this Devon-derby, but not because of the oppo they're still an irrelevance.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lets face it there will be plenty of people unhappy with the appointment (I am not overly fussed) who will use anything they can to try and justify why he shouldn't have the job. It didn't work before and I am not sure it will now but will get behind the team and hope it does go better. As grecian says the KP fans will use the relegation to try and point score but personally I think he has overachieved at Lancashire by winning the title and the 2nd division as I don't rate their side that highly anyway. If he gets England to play good winning cricket in 2 out of the next 3 seasons he won't have done a bad job given the transition period we currently find ourselves in.

Not actually heard how long he has been appointed for, has anyone seen a length of contract mentioned anywhere?

grecian

But isn't it a bit like the English FA reappointing Graham Taylor?
No, because Moores wasn't a complete disaster and worst ever manager of England in his first spell, and he's gone onto successes since.

Steve Maclaren might be a better analogy, and TBH in a few years time if he keeps on improving as a club manager that might not be the worst idea.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Not bothered about the appointment however VERY unhappy that the ECB are poaching Farbrace from us (allegedly ) whilst he is still only three months into a contract with us for the England #2 job...that is plain S****y and if it were the other way round, our name would be mud .. Hopefully Farbrace will be the man we thought he was, an honour his contract with us- obviously no issues with him going when this is done...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Know squat about the Oilers (except their being uniquely the only sporting franchise to be named after those unsung, but committed ladies who work backstage lubricating the feature attractions at strip clubs), but Real make Essendon look like a case study in good governance, so not sure we should be taking too much forward from them.
For me, the Oilers dine at the same high table as the Saskatchewan Fluffers and the Yukon Traffickers.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not bothered about the appointment however VERY unhappy that the ECB are poaching Farbrace from us (allegedly ) whilst he is still only three months into a contract with us for the England #2 job...that is plain S****y and if it were the other way round, our name would be mud .. Hopefully Farbrace will be the man we thought he was, an honour his contract with us- obviously no issues with him going when this is done...
Your board and the others voted for the ECB to be one of 3 kings, as King it is their right to take from their subjects as they see fit. :ph34r:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Moores must have seriously stood out from the other candidates. Because all things being equal, if it was close you'd choose the candidate who has not been involved in such a huge controversy before,
I'm calling you out on plagiarism ****......

Interesting move by the ECB and I think I like it.

Moores must have had a very compelling case for the job as lets face it, all thing things being equal the bloke you've previously sacked is starting well behind the eight ball straight away compared to the other candidates.

harsh.ag

England Cricket News: No room for 'disengaged' Kevin Pietersen - Paul Downton | ESPN Cricinfo

Downton doesn't make much sense to me. On one hand, he claims that KP was "disengaged" from the team and the situation during the 4th and 5th tests, especially at Sydney, at the same time expressing concerns over the points he raised during the player meeting after the 4th test.

KP was the highest run scorer for England in the tournament. He cared enough (obviously being unhappy with their current strategy/planning/practice) to speak out freely at the team meeting.

To top it off, Downton signs off on this line "A strength of mine is I look forward, not back." Dick. (Not to mention quite something when you are going back to appoint the same guy you did a little while back :laugh:)

grecian

England Cricket News: No room for 'disengaged' Kevin Pietersen - Paul Downton | ESPN Cricinfo

Downton doesn't make much sense to me. On one hand, he claims that KP was "disengaged" from the team and the situation during the 4th and 5th tests, especially at Sydney, at the same time expressing concerns over the points he raised during the player meeting after the 4th test.

KP was the highest run scorer for England in the tournament. He cared enough (obviously being unhappy with their current strategy/planning/practice) to speak out freely at the team meeting.

To top it off, Downton signs off on this line "A strength of mine is I look forward, not back." Dick. (Not to mention quite something when you are going back to appoint the same guy you did a little while back :laugh:)
Umm Downton wasn't there when Moores was there at first, he said he talked to many of the coaches and players at the time, and they all thought KP was disruptive. He's clearly saying KP was more interested in what was going on off the pitch than on.

Hey I'm not saying it's right but nothing Downton has said there is hypocritical or laughable, IMHO.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Umm Downton wasn't there when Moores was there at first, he said he talked to many of the coaches and players at the time, and they all thought KP was disruptive. He's clearly saying KP was more interested in what was going on off the pitch than on.

Hey I'm not saying it's right but nothing Downton has said there is hypocritical or laughable, IMHO.
I just think it's hypocritical to keep saying "It's a team sport! It's a team sport!", and then claim that as a single individual, KP could have been so disruptive. As the best player in the team, perhaps his sharp criticisms of the (then) current strategy/planning should have been given more weight. I sometimes feel England used KP throughout his career as a mascot and as a conduit for success, and when he tried to get things done in a better way, each time he was swept away by the captain-coach-administration "We're-English-And-Follow-Decorum" setup.