• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Moores gets a second bite of the apple

King Pietersen

International Captain
Strange choice to say the least. His first tenure ended in an absolute farce, and it wouldn't surprise me if this one ended in a similarly strange way. Least they didn't give Giles the job though. Does mean there's zero chance of a KP return though :( I had my fingers crossed for Mick Newell.

Sucks for Lancashire too, pretty harsh time to lose a coach.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Things that Moores got right during his first spell in charge of the side.

1. Gave a first test cap to Prior
2. Gave a first test cap to Swann
3. Brought back Anderson
4. Gave a first test cap to Broad
5. Appointed Andy Flower
6. Had the balls to drop Harmison
7. Brought back Ryan Sidebottom, which was actually a pretty good move for a while

Things that he got wrong

1. Ditched Hoggard too soon. According to some folks, although I almost put this in the list of things he got right.
2. Picked Pattison for that test against SA

More pluses than minuses in my book. No idea about the behind-the-scenes stuff, but I don't really care about the big names' precious egos anyway.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Strange choice to say the least. His first tenure ended in an absolute farce, and it wouldn't surprise me if this one ended in a similarly strange way. Least they didn't give Giles the job though. Does mean there's zero chance of a KP return though :( I had my fingers crossed for Mick Newell.
Didn't KP fall out with Newell during his time at Notts?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Moores: "I never fell out with Kevin, Kevin fell out with me, there's a noble difference in that ... I have no blame."

Fast forward 18 months

Moores: "I never lost a match, England's cricketers have lost a lot of matches, there's a noble difference in that ... I have no blame."

grecian

Things that Moores got right during his first spell in charge of the side.

1. Gave a first test cap to Prior
2. Gave a first test cap to Swann
3. Brought back Anderson
4. Gave a first test cap to Broad
5. Appointed Andy Flower
6. Had the balls to drop Harmison
7. Brought back Ryan Sidebottom, which was actually a pretty good move for a while

Things that he got wrong

1. Ditched Hoggard too soon. According to some folks, although I almost put this in the list of things he got right.
2. Picked Pattison for that test against SA

More pluses than minuses in my book. No idea about the behind-the-scenes stuff, but I don't really care about the big names' precious egos anyway.
Sidey should still be playing T20. Another comeback would be epic.

Swann is an interesting case, as he slated Moores in his Auto, which oddly all the KPhiles are quoting. I thought Swann was their anti-christ I get so confused.

Anyway, hopefully the dressing room is less toxic now.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Kevin Pietersen is extremely pleased to see Moores back:

@KP24 on Twitter said:
Everyone deserves a 2nd chance!
Nice to see some support from the recently-sacked England player for his good mate.

(Couple of smilies removed to prevent the post from breaking, ftr)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Nice to see some support from the recently-sacked England player for his good mate.
Yeah right. Not at all just trying to advance his own agenda of course.

Ditto his recentish tweet about Buttler deserving to be in the test side, a week or so after Prior' comments about the English dressing room.

grecian

Yeah right. Not at all just trying to advance his own agenda of course.

Ditto his recentish tweet about Buttler deserving to be in the test side, a week or so after Prior' comments about the English dressing room.
Yes, I'm as big a fan of Buttler as anyone, but what twaddle saying he deserves a Test place.

BTW wasn't one of the reason Jos chose to go to Lanky, Peter Moores? he still hasn't played for them, time to come home I reckon.

Oh and if Farbrace is appointed another 'keeper there, I await Pickup's call-up to TeamEngland.

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain

(Couple of smilies removed to prevent the post from breaking, ftr)

KP had his second chance after the text message scandal and was still clearly a social hand grenade in the dressing room. No third chance now with this appointment thank ****.

Sean Flynn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I personally reckon that the only bloke qualified enough to get England to the top of the tree is old Boof himself. And he's got a job for life.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Man, I can't think of too many instances in sport when a sacked coach/manager has returned. Now assuming the ECB know what they are doing ( :ph34r: ) Moores must have seriously stood out from the other candidates. Because all things being equal, if it was close you'd choose the candidate who has not been involved in such a huge controversy before, and also choose the candidate who will theoretically bring more "fresh" ideas because they come from the outside.

If you're willing to back the fact ECB thought through this properly, which is tough considering their recent history, you've gotta think he was by far the best choice. Otherwise he'd not have been chosen.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Edmonton Oilers sacked Craig MacTavish as their coach in 2009 and then 3 years later hired him as their General Manger

The Oilers haven't made the playoffs for about 8 years.