• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lord Ted

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lord Ted

With more comebacks than Frank Sinatra, Ted Dexter kept the back pages in business for almost forty years. In this feature Martin looks back at his life and times.

watson

Banned
Lord Ted

With more comebacks than Frank Sinatra, Ted Dexter kept the back pages in business for almost forty years. In this feature Martin looks back at his life and times.
For all his talent it's hard to find a Test series that Dexter 'owned' in the same way that David Gower 'owned' the 1985 Ashes series. In other words, Dexter played his fair share of cameos, but doesn't appear to have left behind a concrete legacy.

So where do you think Dexter sits Fred in the pantheon of great English batsman?

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Dexter's best moment was as a summariser when in 1978 during the series against New Zealand he was struck by lightning live on air whilst in discussion with Peter West.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For all his talent it's hard to find a Test series that Dexter 'owned' in the same way that David Gower 'owned' the 1985 Ashes series. In other words, Dexter played his fair share of cameos, but doesn't appear to have left behind a concrete legacy.

So where do you think Dexter sits Fred in the pantheon of great English batsman?
I think you're spot on - massive talent but flattered to deceive somewhat, but then with all those distractions who can blame him - he's certainly had an amazing life

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Before my time as a player, so my opinion is massively clouded by his time in charge of the national side, which is unfortunate as two of his series - 1989 Ashes and 1993 in India - are amongst the 3 worst I have ever witnessed from the England team.