Cricket Player Manager
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dan
  • 1 Post By Adders

Thread: New Feature: England's Woes

  1. #1
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    6,978

    New Feature: England's Woes

    Cricket Web - Features: England's Woes

    Three years ago, England were on top of the world. Ashes holders after an impressive win away from home, they had a settled unit pushing ever-closer towards the #1 Test ranking. But in 2014, the Ashes have been surrendered, the team is fragmented, and the slide down the rankings has been dramatic. Dan McGrath looks at what went wrong.
    fredfertang likes this.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

  2. #2
    International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,224
    Yep good write up. I think you can over analyse the causes since such a sudden drop is usually precipitated by misstep tripping over an unforseen hazard; that being Johnson. I know its not a strict comparison but just look at the 2 ashes results and note the difference that Johnson's selection effected. Johnson is actually a rare type of bowler in cricket's history being genuinely fast and a left armer. Maybe it was the line that upset the English or the fact that they had played him before and hadn't really developed a plan to counter him as he usually beat himself.

    I don't think England are weak against pace as they have duelled competitively with SA. They were just surprised by the element Johnson was able to bring. Johnson in his current phase is a little like Waqar when he 1st began to dominate. He will take a little figuring out. Eventually plans will be developed for him and not just the English bats who failed against him will be better prepared in future imo.

  3. #3
    International Debutant Adders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    HMP Oz.
    Posts
    2,533
    It started with the dropping of Compton.

    From 2009 through to early 2013 we had consistency in selection and a clear plan, dropping Nick Compton 3 tests after he made back to back hundreds was the first time I thought WTF are these guy's doing. Then we had Root bungy jumping through the order, we had the Kerrigan **** up, we had the bowling attack for Australia whose main criteria for getting on the plane was that you were 7ft tall......form and Championship wickets were a minor detail.
    jan likes this.

  4. #4
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    It started with the dropping of Compton.

    From 2009 through to early 2013 we had consistency in selection and a clear plan, dropping Nick Compton 3 tests after he made back to back hundreds was the first time I thought WTF are these guy's doing. Then we had Root bungy jumping through the order, we had the Kerrigan **** up, we had the bowling attack for Australia whose main criteria for getting on the plane was that you were 7ft tall......form and Championship wickets were a minor detail.
    To which you can add them disappearing up their own arses after they reached number 1. For all the justification about the conditions in UAE (OMG that nasty man is actually spinning the ball ....) I don't remember too any other teams being whitewashed out there. Probably because other sides actually had some sort of a game plan for dealing with this sort of thing. Thereafter, the win in India was the only impressive performance in about 18 months, but the players were either too limited or too arrogant to take any of this on board. Truth is Aus would have beaten this winter even without Johnson. Maybe not 5-0, but anyone actually watching the series in England should have seen it coming.

    And, as you say, selection has been increasingly silly lately.


  5. #5
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,367
    Selection has been all over the place basically since Collingwood retired. We just didn't notice for a couple of years because we had a successful, settled side. As soon as we've needed to make changes, we've thrown any logic out of the window.

  6. #6
    International Debutant Adders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    HMP Oz.
    Posts
    2,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Selection has been all over the place basically since Collingwood retired. We just didn't notice for a couple of years because we had a successful, settled side. As soon as we've needed to make changes, we've thrown any logic out of the window.
    Don't think I necessarily agree with that. Sure our No 6 spot has been an issue since Colly retired and we've tried a few candidates there, but the blokes they tried were worthy even if they didn't work out. But that's not crazy selection.......crazy selection is dropping a bloke like Compo who whilst not setting the world on fire was still doing a job....a good job.

    Compo and Cook put on 4 100 opening partnerships in Comptons 9 test career........I'd have to check but I don't think we've had a single one since he was dropped. But as well as tossing him out too early the move also ****ed up Root who was settled and doing a good job at 6.

    I honestly can't think of any selection shockers before the dropping of Compton, since then they have been plentiful.

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,346
    Selection is a bit of a thankless task - the players get the credit when the team is winning and the selectors get it in the neck when the team are losing, but then that's the nature of the beast - so I'm prepared to let them start with a blank slate this time, but win or lose this summer if they don't show some faith in Kegga they'll get roundly slagged off by me every chance I get

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,367
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Selection is a bit of a thankless task - the players get the credit when the team is winning and the selectors get it in the neck when the team are losing, but then that's the nature of the beast - so I'm prepared to let them start with a blank slate this time, but win or lose this summer if they don't show some faith in Kegga they'll get roundly slagged off by me every chance I get
    My issue with the selectors is the fact that they clearly don't know what the **** they're doing.

    During the summer, James Taylor and Graham Onions were part of 13 man squads, which would indicate to me that they were the first in line for a batting spot and bowling spot respectively. Neither player featured at the Oval when spots opened up, and neither went on the plane to Australia.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New Feature - England: Where To From Here?
    By chasingthedon in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 07:16 PM
  2. The Woes of NZC
    By Flem274* in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: 23-12-2007, 11:08 AM
  3. 64 Bit processor woes (Or Help Please ?)
    By scritty in forum General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-01-2006, 06:56 AM
  4. NZ Top Order Woes
    By Kimbo in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 28-01-2003, 09:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •