• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best fielders/fieldsmen off their own bowling?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I was thinking about great fielding off one's own bowling. Which players do you think have been best at this?

3 names that spring to mind for me are Carl Hooper, Andrew Symonds and Chris Harris (but they were just ridiculously good fieldsmen anywhere). I also remember Harris for lots of caught and bowleds and that is borne out in the stats.

Records | Combined Test, ODI and T20I records | Bowling records | Most wickets taken caught and bowled | ESPN Cricinfo

Which other players were/are great off their own bowling? (Esp test regulars)

Edit: I just remembered this
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DPkwe3mivxQ

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Mitchell Johnson can be seriously good.

Big Merv took some decent c&b dismissals as well. There's a video by Rob dedicated to them.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Roger Harper.
Came here to say exactly the same. Nothing was getting past that wingspan. Can't recall the batsman he ran out on his follow through but suffice to say it was outrageously good.

'Every bowler ever' is incorrect - Devon Malcolm never had a **** show of catching anything off himself (or anywhere else to be fair, but hardly even saw it coming back at himself).

There was also a FC bowler in Auckland (I won't name him) who got to a stage where he followed through with his head down for so long that the only way he'd get a C&B would be a rebound off his own skull. Neal Parlane went very close to killing him one day.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
In addition to those already named I recall Border having some good caught and bowled dismissals.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This is not aimed at getting an Athlai like, but Jeetan seemed inspired to save runs off his own bowling.

NMac is not a patch on him.