• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your ALL TIME WORLD XI TEAM for tests?

watson

Banned
Richards, Tendulkar, Lara, Headley, Chappell, Hammond and Pollock all have legitimate claims to the 4 and 5 spots in an ATG XI. Hammond, Chappel and Lara brings more value to the team with their superb slip fielding and for the first two they were also handy bowlers but Hammond had his struggles in test cricket (similar to Weekes) vs fast short pitched bowling and apparently from evidence from some players of his era, so did Pollock. For the No. 4 batsman in this team, being able to handle fast bowling is paramount. Additionally as great as Pollock and Headley undoubtebly were, with 20 Tests played(even though Headley ' s were stretched over a decade and only against the two top teams of his era) it's difficult to surpass what Viv, Sachin, Chappel and Lara accomplished though it's not to say they were inferior.
That leaves me with Viv, Sachin, Lara and Chappell. Chappell was seen as the clear second to Viv in their era and with the equally brilliant Sobers at 2nd slip it reduces the need for Chappell at that crucial fielding position. Viv was better against pace than either and more capable of dominating any attack so he gets my number 4 spot behind Bradman. Imagine the carnage. Between Lara and Sachin. Lara brings the advantage of a left hander in the order and another top quality slipper next to Sobers and was also capable of destroying an attack, but with Bradman and Viv Ano e him and Sobers and Gilchrist below, that's not a real requirement. They were both exception vs spin but Sachin probably more efficient against pace. Additionally it's an ATG World XI not the W.I (or Australia) XI so while Lara had the higher peak (of most actually) and Chappel was comparable in style and both would boost the cordon ( Viv and Warne are more than good enough at 1st and 3rd) Sachin with his weight of numbers and consistency edges them both. The no. 5 spot though for me is one of the 3 hardest spots to fill.
During the 1980's yes, because Chappell was past his best, and by his own admission pretty much burned out. The fact that he was able to maintain an average of over 50 during his last 3 years was a minor miracle. However, during the mid-70's it was clear that Chappell was the best middle-order batsman in the world. And during the late-70's they were pretty much even IMO.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
Here's mine:-

1. Sunil Gavaskar.
2. Jack Hobbs.
3. Don Bradman.
4. Sachin Tendulkar.
5. Viv Richards.
6. Gary Sobers.
7. Adam Gilchrist.
8. Imran Khan.
9. Shane Warne.
10. Malcolm Marshall.
11. Wasim Akram.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
Richards, Tendulkar, Lara, Headley, Chappell, Hammond and Pollock all have legitimate claims to the 4 and 5 spots in an ATG XI. Hammond, Chappel and Lara brings more value to the team with their superb slip fielding and for the first two they were also handy bowlers but Hammond had his struggles in test cricket (similar to Weekes) vs fast short pitched bowling and apparently from evidence from some players of his era, so did Pollock. For the No. 4 batsman in this team, being able to handle fast bowling is paramount. Additionally as great as Pollock and Headley undoubtebly were, with 20 Tests played(even though Headley ' s were stretched over a decade and only against the two top teams of his era) it's difficult to surpass what Viv, Sachin, Chappel and Lara accomplished though it's not to say they were inferior.
That leaves me with Viv, Sachin, Lara and Chappell. Chappell was seen as the clear second to Viv in their era and with the equally brilliant Sobers at 2nd slip it reduces the need for Chappell at that crucial fielding position. Viv was better against pace than either and more capable of dominating any attack so he gets my number 4 spot behind Bradman. Imagine the carnage. Between Lara and Sachin. Lara brings the advantage of a left hander in the order and another top quality slipper next to Sobers and was also capable of destroying an attack, but with Bradman and Viv Ano e him and Sobers and Gilchrist below, that's not a real requirement. They were both exception vs spin but Sachin probably more efficient against pace. Additionally it's an ATG World XI not the W.I (or Australia) XI so while Lara had the higher peak (of most actually) and Chappel was comparable in style and both would boost the cordon ( Viv and Warne are more than good enough at 1st and 3rd) Sachin with his weight of numbers and consistency edges them both. The no. 5 spot though for me is one of the 3 hardest spots to fill.
For me the biggest strength of Sachin compared to lets say someone like Lara was how he paced his innings. We have seen two different modes of Sachin. The pre-Tennis elbow mode was very very attacking and could rip apart any bowling attack while the post-Tennis elbow injury Sachin was much more reserved with his shots. With Sir Viv already there, I also would have Sachin there.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
My criticism of Hobbs wasn't a comment on his ability, I acknowledge his greatness completely. But…as an opener, he was confronted with attacks that featured some pretty mediocre bowlers. I don't think he ever faced great pace bowling. Gregory and McDonald would've been the closest.

I know everyone says "Hobbs is the greatest opener ever". But I can't think of a good reason why he's better than Gavaskar or Hutton, and if anyone has one I'd be happy to listen.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
To be honest though if I were to replace Hobbs with anyone in would be Barry Richards. Lillee himself said the best three batsmen he ever bowled to and by some distance were Sobers and the two Richards. Good enough for me.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's true that Hobbs didn't play too many top quality pace bowlers, but he could only bat against what there was, and his record against Gregory and McDonald was good, and against Tibby Cotter. Larwood rated him as well, and there is nothing wrong with his numbers against Notts. I suspect he'd have been just as effective against Lindwall and Miller as Hutton, but I'd always prefer Hutton - he was just so uncompromising, whereas I think Hobbs was a bit short on ruthlessness

the big bambino

International Captain
The concentration on pace conveniently overlooks the great spin and medium pace bowlers Hobbs faced and conquered. Neither is it his fault that Australia and SA were his only opponents and of those only one regularly. That fact alone accounts for the number of pace men he faced. That Australia produced 3 of real speed in his time is historically an abundance. Only the WI of the 70s-80s would have produced more.

Red

The concentration on pace conveniently overlooks the great spin and medium pace bowlers Hobbs faced and conquered. Neither is it his fault that Australia and SA were his only opponents and of those only one regularly. That fact alone accounts for the number of pace men he faced. That Australia produced 3 of real speed in his time is historically an abundance. Only the WI of the 70s-80s would have produced more.
I think this is a bit disingenuous.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
A bit.

I will get hammered for this, but do honestly believe that the first batsman who consistently faced a variety of genuine quality fast and spin bowlers was Hutton. One reason I rate him so highly.

Flem274*

123/5
By modern standards you might be right.

I'm not too worried if someone like Larwood was only 130kph because he was relatively faster than his contemporaries. When people select ATG sides for Rugby Union they still go for plenty of older greats even though many of them would struggle in the modern game because of their weight disadvantage.

Hobbs was a beast in his era and did things that were great. He set a new standard for opening batsmen, and that's why I pick him.

the big bambino

International Captain
I think this is a bit disingenuous.
Nup. Can't think of too may teams blessed with as many real pace options that were also effective at test level. Sides have a balance of fast thru fast medium to spin to service them over a good period of time. You'd be a lucky country that had that many test effective genuine quicks over a 10-20 year period. Even luckier if you had 2 of them at their peak at the same time. Look at us after the war. Lindwall and Miller as genuine fast and then little or nothing til Lillee. The only side that did was the WI which is why most acknowledge their production line of genuine expresses as pretty much unique.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
By modern standards you might be right.

I'm not too worried if someone like Larwood was only 130kph because he was relatively faster than his contemporaries. When people select ATG sides for Rugby Union they still go for plenty of older greats even though many of them would struggle in the modern game because of their weight disadvantage.

Hobbs was a beast in his era and did things that were great. He set a new standard for opening batsmen, and that's why I pick him.
This is my perspective as well, but expect a 10-page argument debating this. Always happens.

Anyway, just to stir ****:

1. A Jackson
2. D Warner
3. D Bradman
4. V Richards
5. K Miller*
6. M Waugh
7. M Procter
8. G Evans +
9. M Marshall
10. H Larwood
11. S Warne

Would there be a better side to watch?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Can think of at least half a dozen opening bats I'd rather watch than David Warner tbh.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
1st XI: Jack Hobbs, Sunil Gavaskar, Don Bradman, Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara, Garfield Sobers, Adam Gilchrist+, Imran Khan*, Richard Hadlee, Malcolm Marshall, Muttiah Muralitharan
2nd XI: Len Hutton, Sutcliffe, Viv Richards, George Headly, Kumar Sangakkara+, Greg Chappell*, Jaques Kallis, Keith Miller, Allan Donald, Curtly Ambrose, Bill O'Riely

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can think of at least half a dozen opening bats I'd rather watch than David Warner tbh.
I agree, but then if he was English, and the sort of bloke you'd like to have a pint with as opposed to being a complete **** (ie his name was Colin Milburn) I'd take a different view

watson

Banned
This is my perspective as well, but expect a 10-page argument debating this. Always happens.

1. A Jackson
2. D Warner
3. D Bradman
4. V Richards
5. K Miller*
6. M Waugh
7. M Procter
8. G Evans +
9. M Marshall
10. H Larwood
11. S Warne

Would there be a better side to watch?
Vic Trumper
Barry Richards
Archie Jackson
Stan McCabe
Denis Compton
Keith Miller
Jock Cameron
Harold Larwood
Jim Laker
Sydney Barnes
Jack Iverson

Because they are the eleven I'd most like to see play or, in Richards' case, see again
Well, it's a close run thing between Dan's and Fred's team as far as pure entertainment is concerned.

I reckon that this team would also come close;

01. Majid Khan
02. Roy Fredericks
03. Neil Harvey
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Frank Woolley
06. Ian Botham
07. Kapil Dev
08. Syed Kirmani
09. Michael Holding
10. Bishan Bedi
11. Bhagwath Chandrasekhar

Last edited:

Red

1. A Jackson
2. D Warner
3. D Bradman
4. V Richards
5. K Miller*
6. M Waugh
7. M Procter
8. G Evans +
9. M Marshall
10. H Larwood
11. S Warne